drifting a 3000gt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drifting a 3000gt

ok im a noob but i was just wondering some stuff. i just recently got my lisence and i really like cars but im not an expert, i really want to learn more. can anyone inform me on how a 3000gt sl is for drifting? my parents have one im hopping to put some money into it, i really love drifitn i have a raptor and i love riding that but i really want to get into drifting. is it a lot of money? what would i have to do to the 3000gt to make it a nice drift car, its front wheel im pretty sure, not the trin turbo vr4, what do u think that car is getting at the front wheels? thanks a lot

i thought gtos...well now 3000gts were AWD?

Comment

in the states all but the VR4 are FWD tanks
      the VR4 is an AWD tank...

Comment

Originally posted by driftfreak
        in the states all but the VR4 are FWD tanks
        the VR4 is an AWD tank...
        ahkay thanks

Comment

i always loved this car, its a 92 3000gt sl, but i kinda want to put some omney into it. im only 16 but i want to get a car that i can play around with spend some money on and make a good drift car, any suggestions? thanks

Comment

5.0...lots of parts and cheep

Comment

heavy and FWD. other than that the car is pretty good for sliding. to answer one of your questions, you dont have to sink alot of money into your car to drift. its all about brass balls and cutting your car sideways

Comment

nice, im hopping to get this car, lol but most likely not, is it a lot harder to drift with the front wheel? what kinds of things would it need? its got some nice power i drive it a lot, but i cant really do much, lol idk usually i drive it with my dad. i want to get a pretty nice fast car, somethign good that wont break easy to work on. im sort of new to driofting and all, is there a lot that can go wrong with droifting as far as breaking ur car? i knw i ride quads and i ride hard and i break it all the time, its an 02, nothign old and it gets old having to fix it all the time. anythign else i should know? thanks a lot

Comment

or in other words is this sprot a money pit like quading is?
                  i suppose u go through tires pretty quick

Comment

Ease into it. You really shouldn't be doing things like drifting if you have no idea how the car will behave. You're young. If you're like me, you'll have the needle buried in that car in no time. My suggestion is to use your head. Drive smart. Learn a little physics for understanding. If you use your head and don't get stupid, you'll be fine.

With a fwd it's a little different. Most drifting is done with a rwd. If it has a hand parking brake, you can start with that. You can play in an open parking lot. Learn how the car behaves when it slides. Get used to how it feels when the rear end breaks loose. Learn how throttle and braking affects the slide. Learn how the car regains traction after the slide.

A nice gravel back road is a good place to play around with a car at low speeds as well. You can get the car sliding easier and at safer speeds than an asphalt road. You can save your tires and brakes a little too.

Once you get a feel of the forces and how the car moves around. You can start to throw the weight around. When coming into a corner, turn away from the corner and quickly turn back into the corner. This will throw the rear end out and initiate the slide. This is called feint. After the rear end slides out, fine tune the slide with throttle, brake, and e-brake.

If you can get used to how your car brakes, you can try a little braking drifting. You can come into a corner fast and brake hard. While braking, you can steer into the corner. With so little weight on the rear end, it will slide out. Afterwards, you control the car like any other method.

It's a tough thing to just jump into. Primarily, you don't have the experience or understanding of what's going on. I'd suggest to take things very very slowly. Learn to drive normally first. Learn the car and its limits. Then learn to drift. Ease into it. Try a few things and see what happens. Above all, use that brain of yours. It will keep you safe and alive. It'll keep your car safe and alive as well.

Comment

Oh, things to buy...nothing really. Starting off, I'd suggest just learn the concept. You'll probably wreck the car or at least put a few dents in it. Being 16 with a new car, it's unavoidable. After you get some experience, you can get something better, something rear wheel drive. Then you get to relearn how to drift It's not really different or anything. The throttle just does the opposide, lol.

Comment

Guys, trying new things is great and all... but you're telling this guy he can drift a 3600lb FWD car?? Are you nuts?

Comment

Yeah honestly tell the boy the sad truth. He will be 100 times better off trying to learn in a light weight rear wheel drive vehichle. I mean if he wanted to have some fun in a FWD thats not too bad, but how heavy those are... besides S13s are cheap, so are many other rwd light weight sports cars. If he loves the car thats fine but it will not make a very good drift car.

Comment

ACDsupra i know what ur saying but im not dumb, im new to driving but all im sayin is i want to get out there and learn while im young. i know not to rishinto it, ive had a lot of experiance crashing lol and ridign quads, i had my 660 when i was 14, and ive always been used to a lot of power and learnign how to respect, even though i iddnt always do so but i peaid the consequences. i just wanted some basic information not on how to drift but more or less what goes into it like money and all, and what u need. i really love cars and i have tons of fun working on them and just driving, most of all nothing beats the feeling of being sideways lol. thanks for the responses, keep them comming

by the way this seems to be a really awesome board lots of information and nice ppl

Comment

oh, and another thing, when ur drifting, what things wear out faster and things, you know besides tires lol, but does the car take a beating? ive decided im not gonna go for the 3000gt and i will end up getting a rwd car, whats something quality and fast yet on the cheaper side?

Comment

Working...
                              X