Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wat

Comment

Pick up a dictionary. Enrich your vocabulary and learn how to spell basic words. (like "what" and "dough")

How old are you? Do you even realize the implications of buying an AE86? Can you turn a wrench? Do you know mechanics very well?

Comment

Haha just drop it man. You really think your discrimination will stop someone from doing something they want to do? So what if they dont want to be overly serious, so what if they only want to do it for fun now and then. You dont have to be dedicated fully trying to be the best at something to enjoy it at all, i mean we'd all get laid a lot less if that was the case.

Hes new and asking questions, its better then jumping into it without any heads up of what to expect. If he finds the 86 isnt the car for him, hell sell it, or crash it, or something. If hes serious about drifting, the 86 is a great car for it, if hes not, the 86 on the side makes a good econo box.
        Last edited by SidewaysGts; 11-12-2004, 10:17 PM.

Comment

He's not asking the right questions.

Comment

I might lack a bit of experience, but here goes:

I'd say don't buy an AE86. Those cars are old and mostly rust-buckets nowadays, and you'll spend a heck of a lot more than 2.5k on an 86. Get a newer RWD car (i.e 240, FC, mustang, camaro) that costs a bit more. At least with those, you won't have to fix it as much.

The AE86 is a cheap car to get, but fixing it up would cost more than buying a newer car.

Comment

For around 2.5 there shouldnt be much to fix, if your around 3000 there should be nothing to fix, otherwise your being ripped off.

Comment

As I have stated before. Buyer Beware. If dont know anything about car repair be leary of buying an AE86. This car is bulletproof but it is also more than a decade old, it will have problems and stuff to be replaced. You seem to be really intent on your decision, I don't think anyone could change your mind. But, take a step back from Initial D, Drift King, and even Super Streets glorification of the 86. For drifting there are better cars. I love the AE86 and hope to have my own Levin hatch one day but it's just not a realistic project for someone just getting into drifting.

My recommendations:

RX-7 either 2nd Gen Turbo (FC3S) or 3rd Gen (FD3S)

This is a 2nd Gen.

WRX any year... I particulary love this one

MR2 either the 1st Gen Supercharged or the 2nd Gen Turbo

This is a 2nd Gen

Comment

Woah, you got some weird taste no offence.

1) Most of the rex drivers i talk to (both a forum and a local team) think the 86 is easier to drift then the fc.

2) Your suggesting an AWD vehicle, over a fr one, not just any awd vehicle but one with a very late rotational movement. some pretty large feint motions (not a novice thing) are in call for.

3) your suggesting a MID ENGINE car, over a fr one. Snap over steer mean anything to you? If soemone has troubles drifting a 86, i cant imagine the trouble a mid engien car would pose to a learner. Go to any mr2 forum and watch how many people laugh as someone asks about drifting them, even the drift king admits to them needing higher skill to bring out the best.

You might as well suggest a crx or something...

Comment

Well, it might be hard to drift those cars but many people have. Possible, but tricky. Lots of people say FCs are really hard to drift but I'm debating it anyway. It's only if you really like the car.

Comment

THose cars are much harder to drift then an 86 if u ask me. Not saying it cant be because it can and quit nicely as well.. its just odd to say one car is too difficult for a novice to drift, then suggest even harder cars.

Comment

The FC has more horsepower and more torque... How is it harder to drift. I dont speak from what others say I speak from experience.

The WRX is awd so it is a different learning process. is it harder? That is debatable, Just accelerate hard through a turn or get a power controller and send 90% of the power to the rear. I think the WRX is a solid platform for any motorsport why? Easy horsepower for little money.

MR2 has oversteer. I love oversteer. This is mainly a personal preference. It, like any other car, can be drifted well with practice. One of the main problems I see novice drifters facing is initiating the drift, the MR with it's turbo engine and mid engine layout is very spin happy you just have to control the slide. Drift King is not the source of all knowledge, there are other drivers out there... One of my faves, Stig, has mastered MR car control and says it is an ideal platform for novices.

Once again I ask "Why an 86?". Nine out of ten times it's because of a cartoon. It is not practical, it is difficult to maintain, initiate and maintain a drift, and overpriced (3k for a 1986 car? Gimme a break).

Comment

Damn- double post.
                          Last edited by SidewaysGts; 11-17-2004, 09:05 PM.

Comment

For the fc: The balance of the car the weight of the car and the back-toe system of the car. Theres more to a car then just power. Ill pass on getting into the "turbo vs na" thing for drifting however.

For the mr2: Once again, SNAP oversteer is a problem especialy for novices behind the wheel of a mid engine car. Its great the car over steers but your likey to oversteer too much more in this car then many others. The steering has to be faster and more percise as well (def not a trait of a novice drifter). I dont usually use the drift king a source for back up information, but you have to admit hes got as much credit as the next guy. If you like ill start pulling out some resources from mr2 owners about their cars and drifting.

The wrx: Once again awd and drifting? This is another car ill be more then happy to get sources from people who actually drive these cars who can tell you first hand theyre not suited for drifting (well in low traction, but thats different). Awd just isnt as suited for drifting as a rwd vehicle. The oversteer state cant be induced or maintained as long/well/easily as a rwd vehicle. Yes the learning process is different, but yes its also harder.

As for why an 86: Youll spend 3k on a car that -doesnt- need a lot of work. if you are buying an 86 for this much that has problems, then you got ripped off plain and simple.

Its funny you bring the price up of the car and the year- considering what you suggested. A good fc will also run you close to 3k for an na (adjust if its an s4 or s5) and even more for a turbo model- but this is also a late 80s model.

You say theyre expensive and difficult to maintain? This car is known for its reliability, part for it are now cheap and easy to find and the after market for it is great. They get good gas mileage, you can abuse the engine in terms of how you maintain it and push it etc. Once again ill point out the FC, if you think an 86 is expensive and hard to maintain why on earth would you suggest an fc? They get worse mileage, rotaries are well known for their reliability issues and unability to take an abuse due to how easily the oil seals and apex seals go on them due to their heat. These cars are expensive to maintain and need a lot of it.

Granted the car is underpowered, but heaven forbid a driver learn to rely on steering and braking inputs rather then a heavy foot to break the rear wheels out. The car is light weight and has great throttle response. Solid rear axle helps keeping the car sideways unlike the other cars with indy-suspension. As the weight shifts out it messes with the camber and actualy helps, where an indy suspension keeps more consistant camber to help keep the back end planted.

Ill point out the fc again; Many of the Fcs did not come with lsds, S5s especialy. I can tell you right now however it is not hard to find an 86s with an lsd however.

I can go on if you need me to.

Comment

Good points. What I have stated are my opinions from personal experience. I am just writing out what I feel was both most enjoyable and superior for me overall. FCs in my area run about $500 for an NA might need a small amount of work , $1500 for an NA that is perfect and about 3k for a Turbo Motor that runs fine. This is a 1991 model and is an RX-7 not a Corolla I think the prices are fair. WRX I'll admit is a bad choice for a a beginner drifter but it is not too difficult and if you ever decide you just want to track your car you will be surprised at how fast you can be. MR2 I still stand by my opinion that it's difficulty is highly exaggerated. Speaking from personal experience it is not that hard to learn. Buy some decent quality tires and you are set it just takes practice. The rear sliding out is fairly predictable and I liked that. I plan on getting an NSX as my next project car.

But this will be my last post in this thread as it seems the poster does not really care about it anymore. More than likely someone who really has no serious plans on getting into drifting. Or just an overzealous person asking questions before he/she can even drive a car yet :/ I do hope, however, that this information was useful to someone.

Comment

Thats the great thing about drifting you can drive just about anything and still do good. Its about 8/10s driver and 3/10s car (yes add that one up).

But damn i wanna live where you do, I come from california and have been in vegas for about a year now which is what im driving my prices on. 1500 for a good na s5 is nice, 1500 around here (unless u know someoen of course) would get you a -running- s4.

Comment

Working...
                                X