No announcement yet.

Keiichi Tsuchiya DRIFT BIBLE, If u watch, u will learn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I learned little to nothing from the Drift Bible. What really helped was a track day. You wanna be a good drifter? Learn how to grip.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
      I don't think there are any guys here who don't want to become as good as he is.
      i dont wanna be like him. i wanna be like koguchi, but in my opinion koguchi is much more of a "drift king" than keichi. thats my personall opinion and im sure other people feel teh same.

Comment

I wana be like Tommy Lee. Then I could afford to have anyone I wanted come and give me lessons. Plus he sports a hog like a horse and everyone knows that Rockstars who make the beast with 2 backs with Pamela Lee are the coolest.

Comment

WOW...

Let's be civil and talk about this video.

The G-balls are a good idea actually. This will tell you exactly where you are on the friction circle. The friction circle is based on the inertia of the car.

I think Keiichi preaches the handbrake technique way too much. Depending on your own style of driving, hand brake isn't such a good idea.

Keiichi does show how MR cars are more sensative to weight transfer and requires the drive to stay within a certain point within the g-ball circle (inertia/weight transfer). This makes tons of sense.

I just think he put way too much attention on the e-brake.

I second GRiDRaceTech, Track time is the most important. Go out and AUTOCROSS. Have fun with real racing. Learn the limits of your car.
          Last edited by Craftsman; 12-05-2004, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth
            I wana be like Tommy Lee. Then I could afford to have anyone I wanted come and give me lessons. Plus he sports a hog like a horse and everyone knows that Rockstars who make the beast with 2 backs with Pamela Lee are the coolest.
            now there's a man who talks sense.

Comment

I have the video, bought it from F.Y.E a while back. It is cool.

Comment

wasn't keiichi called the drift king because he won 6 'race' events in a row with his 'unique style of drifting'?. he wasn't D1 king, he was a circuit racer that drifted to go faster through certain turns.

his style reflects that. although its not D1 show drifting, lots of fishtails, big smoke etc. its smooth, flowing lines while drifting at a circuit pace. thats why hes good at touge. some of those corners need drifting, some dont. he does it for speed, not show.

Comment

Originally posted by RxDrift
                  wasn't keiichi called the drift king because he won 6 'race' events in a row with his 'unique style of drifting'?. he wasn't D1 king, he was a circuit racer that drifted to go faster through certain turns.

his style reflects that. although its not D1 show drifting, lots of fishtails, big smoke etc. its smooth, flowing lines while drifting at a circuit pace. thats why hes good at touge. some of those corners need drifting, some dont. he does it for speed, not show.
                  i agree. i enjoyed the video, and made sense that drifting all the time would just lose you time.

it's a good video if you know nothing about weight transfer, otherwise alot of people will find it useless if they've actually had seat time.

Comment

Drift Bible introduced me into the real world of drifting, depending how u learn u can get alot out of the movie.

I found it gave me insight to what control looks like from in the cabin, the movie clearly explains some of the very basics that one could take to the road and give it a go.

More importantly its a very good tool for reference, even if u know alot about drifting, its something u can use to brush up on or just to double check that your doing the technique right.

Comment

The problem with the Drift Bible is of course the name. When I hear the name it gives a sort of "end all/be all" idea that everything you need to know about drifiting can be found inside.

AT 60 min it takes about 10 seconds to figure out thats not what you are going to get and the DVD turns into a great "how'd they do that" intro the drifing video we have all seen at one time or another.

For many people the hardest part about anything is knowning where to start and I think the DVD does a pretty good job of providing anyone off the street with a handfull of good starting points for getting into the sport.

The spotlight of this video is huge - With drifting being fairly New around much of the states, finding instruction from locals is minimal if none-existant so this video often becomes the only Moving instructor many novice drifters have to reference. (I dont think this is a stretch to say - Maybe it is?)

Maybe the video should have been called the Drift Intro, not the Drift Bible.

Comment

i liked the video because its awesome seeing the king in action....but it really only gave names to things my friends and i have been doing to get our tails to wag.

Comment

GRID makes a great point, there is no substitute for seat time, and there is no better way to learn your car's abilities and limits than grip racing. Don't get me wrong, I'm an avid drifter, I go to damn near every JustDrift and Drift Day event, but road racing and karting gave me the tools, drifting is just a different use of the same skills, and it can teach you things that drifting cannot. People shouldn't see drift and grip as opposites, but rather as complementary exercises.

With regard to the video, I'm not new to drifting, but I still watch it every now and then. There is always something to learn, particularly watching hand and foot work in relation to the g-balls.

I'll you what, I would much prefer people watch and learn from Keiichi than Takumi.

Comment

Originally posted by RxDrift

Close, but not exactly.

Tsuchiya stated he doesnt drift because its faster- and that it rarely is, he did it simply because it was more exciting.

He won a number of races using drift style in an advan (i think?) sponsored ae86, he liked racing in the underpowered classes more because they were funner.

Added: Oh ya keep in mind this video was for NOOBIES when it coems to drifting, for peopel who had only seen it but never sene how to do it or realyl tried much them self- this is why he uses the hand brake a lot.

He also shows a lot of what to do, and NOT to do, and what will happen for each. A lot of people think of him as over hyped becuase of this video- because of some of the "mistakes" he makes, but dont u find it odd he mentions every mistake before he makes it?

"you gotta keep the revs up to stay in the torque band, let the revs fall and your drift power will stall... whoops haha i droped it!"

He cant go all out, its made purposely for low level drifters.

And grid has said THE best line in here. You wanna learn to drift, learn to "grip" first.
                            Last edited by SidewaysGts; 01-10-2005, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Drift Bible = good entertainment + good explanation of the mechanics of fundamental technique.

I admit, I bought Drift Bible and enjoyed it. However, most of what was in there was stuff I'd already known thanks to studying rally, (feint is known in rallying as a Scandinavian Flick) and of course my seat time in and around sprint cars.

Although I will admit that you don't get much chance to yank the handbrake on a sprint car. No transmission after all.

Drift Bible isn't particularly good for absolute novices. It really ignores explaining what to "feel" for in a car to interpret its behavior. Best example, when Tsuchiya first demonstrates handbraking, he shouts "right there!" when he feels the point where the handbrake needs to be pulled. Problem? He never explains what makes that point so critical OR how to find that point, what defines it, and how it may vary from vehicle to vehicle.

Some may think that's a little dense, but I think that explaining the mechanics and physics of "Why you do something" is just as important as explaining "How you do something".

Comment

Originally posted by i_wanna_240sx
                                Originally posted by i_wanna_240sx
                                Quote:
                                Hurrah! Another DB fan! Woohoo, I love Keiichi, and i can die for him! Yeah baaaaby, show me those E-brake drifts on the Ebisu circuit! WOOHOO! (*dancing and rolling on the floor laughing*)

Okay, seriously now, what did you learn from DB? How to pull the E-brake? Or how does the car react to the feint action? Or why does the midengine car spin out when you brake too hard? I'm glad you did. You can be proud of yourself.

And by the way, who did you vote for?
                                _ _ _ _ _ _ _

ok smart a$$, hes a very skilled driver. he is teaching the person watching the video how to drift in different types of drifts. if YOU arent intersted then dont post. BTW, what does voting have to do with anything? NONE. this isnt politics. g ot off topic subjects if you wanna know THAT dumb question O_o . . . if you dont like him, then dont go on, stressing people. when he is only HELPING the viewer. not, "OH, LOOK AT ME IM COOL AND YOUR NOT!"

^ dumb ^ i asked for your opinoin and i got it. i dont wanna be like him tho.
                                just a good way to learn driftin if you are a beginner. thats all.

ok how old are you seriously? from your signature you dont even have a car! and the dvd is useless. and i agree with those dam g-balls USELESs!

Comment

Working...
                                X