Formula D, (FEEDBACK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
    A drifter doesnt have to have a 240 or a corrolla stripped out. But you see a stripped out corrolla or 240 with damage on the body you sortof think "drifter" as opposed to the chrome wheeled hondas and such at the event. 350Z is a cool car however few drifters can afford them, so you dont see them as much. I didnt mean to imply your car or you were not a 'real drifter' in fact i put such phrases in quotes for that reason.
    sorry, im holding a grudge from the other night. i got the "i swapped my sr 2 years go" lecture at gmr, i wanted to say "*Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored *, everyone had an sr swap 2 years ago as it is."

Comment

Originally posted by aristo
      FD came off to me as a big orgy of corporate sponsorship. I didn't not-like it. The best drift event I've ever gone to was the exhibition D1GP and RS*R drift day. D1 was absolutely wild and not even the second one was as wild as it was.

I agree wholly with Weapon X.
      I think you should read what you typed about a corperate orgy......

RSR? What is that a club or something...Think before you type..

Thanks
      Ryan Hampton

Baller Bolts Titanium Hardware

Comment

Originally posted by hatebbobbarker
        sorry, im holding a grudge from the other night. i got the "i swapped my sr 2 years go" lecture at gmr, i wanted to say "*Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored *, everyone had an sr swap 2 years ago as it is."

uhg.. thats the kind of attitude i HATE in drifting. No problems man, i should of been more clear.

Comment

Re: Hmm...

Originally posted by STFUAD
          What people seem to not realize is that this is a DRIFTING FAN WEBSITE. Not model fan, not dj fan, not car show fan, but DRIFTING FAN WEBSITE. If you can't take the criticism about us feeling that commercialization is fu**ing up the sport that we love, then go to importtuner.com or superstreet.com.

Mr Chang, you probably don't know who I am but know that I WAS on the inside of the scene. I know the rules, I know the clipping points, I know where judging stops and starts. I've been to 3 of the 4 formula D events and every d1 event, and numerous drift days. I've put blood, sweat, and tears into competition vehicles so I think I am somewhat qualified.

Am I a Uber drifter? NO. I have never claimed to be. Do I kiss other drifter's arses and become a yes man for them? NO. I actually disagree on a few things with multiple drivers while I agree with others. I just have been working in the US scene since its so called, "professional" inception in 2003.

Formula D just has to realize that now their show is for people ages 10-20 with out of control hormones, a heavy wallet, and no knowledge of drifting whatsoever. There are going to be MANY different series next year and if Formula D wants to stick around, they need to reevaluate certain things.
          You. I want to give you a big hug for all the work you've put into bringing drifting to the US and helping keep it here. I've never been inside the 'scene' and I cannot claim that I've (to this point in my life) have been in it.

One of the problems I feel that plagues both D1 and FD is the judging. Not nesscarily the judges themselves. The FD and D1 judges don't speak english and the translators either don't know what they're talking about or can't translate fast enough, so unless one speaks Japanese, there's a lot that's being missed.

I think a lot of people feel resentment towards FD is because it's become what they don't want it to be: Big sponsors, big egos, big money. I think people feel badly toward FD because of what it stands for rather than what actually happens, kinda like why people booed the GTO (I actually want to see some domestics compete...). From a business standpoint, it's a goldmine. Someone mentioned the alcohol--I'm not 21 and I'm not going to be drinking beer anytime soon. Besides, drift events probably are better watched buzzed.

Also, a lot of people have forgotten about the drivers. FD provides a place for them to compete on a level below D1 and above smaller amateur events.

Originally posted by RyanHampton
          I think you should read what you typed about a corperate orgy......

RSR? What is that a club or something...Think before you type..

Thanks
          I did. Came off a bit badly, but I did realize later that competing in FD is a big opportunity for the drivers as well and it slipped from my mind. I doubt anybody on this board, if given the chance to compete in something like that, would not turn it down. Like what someone said to another guy who was trying to support an FD boycott--it'll only hurt the drivers.

No, I'm not sucking up. I had an epiphany.
          Last edited by aristo; 08-30-2004, 11:41 PM.

Comment

I was not trying to start a FD boycott, I said I will and some people I know will. People can make up their own minds. This is my decision and I will only take responsibility for that.

Comment

I was not trying to start a FD boycott, I said I will and some people I know will. People can make up their own minds. This is my decision and I will only take responsibility for that.
              Wasn't talking about you, or anybody specifically. As for the whole boycott thing, I'm gonna say free will. People who want to go aren't going to not-go/
              Last edited by aristo; 08-30-2004, 11:56 PM.

Comment

i think we need to adopt a more tolerant attitude...i mean if you like it you can go for the drifting...just ignore the car shows etc... or you can just not go all together.....enjoy it for the sport it is. it is a shame that if what they say about how political the thing has become then its sad but when i go to a drift event i gotta expect the car shows and booty shaking stuff so i just take it w/ a grain of salt.... as far as ppl booing, or ppl acting all hot sh!t just remember they are idiots plain and simple

Comment

You know, if any of you went to the awards banquet tonight you would find no problems with the judging. The drivers all are having a blast right now (I left early), and they accept the outcome no matter what.

Yes, some may be bitter about what was judged as good and bad, but to the drivers they all accept the outcome no matter what. NO MATTER WHAT. And as much as I disagree with some of the judging, I understand that's how the game of drifting is played.

Even when you watch D1, it's the same. When you reach a "professional" level you have to accept this fact, that the judgement is final.

Like Moto said in the other thread, when you reach a pro level you are expected to be able to sustain your efforts at a pro level. This means, competitive car, competitive driver, money for team (from sponsorship or investors), etc. And the ability to market and sell yourself, because motorsports on a professional level is all about winning and using that as a marketing tool for sponsors.

As for the event itself....... wow a lot of people just talk like they know what the heck is going on, when they don't.

Irwindale is no longer a cheap venue to rent out, this has to be stated first and foremost. Beyond that, it was the most cost-effective for Formula D to happen on one day, as it limits the cost of renting the venue. Every other round (with the exception of Houston) had the track costs shared with at least one other group, so it was not as expensive.

Beyond that, any logistical complaints should not be aired out in forums like these, but rather typed up using coherent English and sent/mailed to Slipstream. I mean, if you really want to see change, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. And if you can't afford to promote your own series, at least make it known that all is not well with Formula D.

Jim, Ryan, Richard, Fred, all the guys at Slipstream are easygoing and open to suggestions. The drivers give them feedback on course design and layout, but it is up to the attendees to figure out what they want to get out of the experience. Do yourselves a favor and tell them how you feel.

Stuff relating to parking and security, well complain that to the track. Irwindale wishes to make money their own way, but be thankful that at least we have a track in a metropolitan area. How many cities do you know with TWO RACETRACKS within city limits? Or rather, within 30 minutes of half of the population of LA/OC counties? And security... if security wasn't an issue, then there would be less hassle. Blame the 2nd amendment and people who start *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* at big events for the need for security.

Anyhow, it's late and I still need to unwind and clean my car. Just remember that even though you guys may hate it, the drivers love it and they are still at it right now at the Key Club, drunk.

-alex

Comment

Well Alex, you have your opinions, and we have ours. All I can say is that the political game is being played real well right now.

Of course the drivers accepted the decision, do they have a choice? Of course they had fun, they were able to DRIVE. These venues are few and far between. Any chance to get in their cars and drift is a great time for them.

Obviously yet again, this thread is at a stalemate. I will not post anymore. I stick by my original statements and I wish all the drivers the best of luck. I'm just a fan of the sport that doesn't want it chewed up and spit out.

Take care.
                    Last edited by STFUAD; 08-31-2004, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mav1178
                      the drivers love it

-alex

Thats all that matters. They are haveing the best times of their lives out there. It's a pursuit of fun, nothing more, nothing less.
                      Some drivers did'nt leave happy, but it could have been worse, they could've crashed on their first run, like me.(driver search)
                      Attached Files

Comment

the simple fact is many fans did not enjoy the event. and many more think it could of been much much better. Justify things all you want but thems the breaks.

Comment

ah dammit, we already discuss this stuff already, i was planning on attending drift days and comps, but seems like everyone flames on the events. THIS IS WHY WE TOUGE~! to get away from this nonsense my bros and sistas~!. and work hard for our money and spend money on parts rather than paying to drive in a parking lot full of cones. parking lots are everywhere and rather seems *Censored**Censored**Censored* but essential for beginners. if your thinking im stupid and ill hit a wall, i dont see how its any different than hitting a wall at the irwindale oval plus i pay to compete? lets face it, you need hardcore experience in driving/racing or insane talent to be competing with these guys. no matter how *Censored**Censored**Censored* these events get, theres always the touge.... enough said

Comment

Originally posted by Ripper
                            yamamoto, koguchi and yarzan

sry to burst ur bubble... but i didnt judge... im not even in the country... heck, im not even japanese!

i know.. it was a slight finger slip, dont wry about it.

Comment

I'm just a fan of the sport that doesn't want it chewed up and spit out.

Take care.
                              This says a lot about you...

-Al

Comment

Hey everyone. I know everyone has been awaiting a response and I am finally able to get here and do that. First thanks for sharing your thoughts. We do truly consider what everyone says in hopes that we can make the right decisions for our series. Let me start off by saying that we feel that the event was a great success. One year ago there were a ton of people that said American drifting could not succeed and that it could never reach the potential of what a series like D1 has. Not all of the drivers might be up to D1 par just yet, but the level of skill has risen unbelieveably and the bar has been raised. I saw some of the best most competitive driving ever and without events like FD those drivers would have had no where to compete and get better. We took the risk (financial and credibility with sponsors) to go across country and make these evnets happen. We truly believe in drifting and we know that it has legs. In hindsight I see lots of things we could do different, things we could do better, but to be where we are now and to have the audience we did at Irwindale with "no name" American drivers we are ecstatic. I wont appologize for any of the things that you are complaining about. Some complain about judging, some complain about car show, some complain about the jumbotron. Let me just say I see ways the judging can be better. I think it can be better and we are going to adjust and make those changes for next year. I thought the car show was excellent. We had some of the greatest car shows in the West on display and I thought it was a great piece of secondary content. And if any of you that have been to D1 they had a car show too and we did one the first year. The jumbo tron we ante'd up for, and the advertisements were a thanks you to our sponsors and at no cost to them. You may have noticed it's primary purpose was for real time broadcast. I loved the jumbotron. The other content, the DJ's, the MC's, models, eh, whatever man. You and everyone else really didn't give a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*, but I would rather have that content than nothng at all. Will we reconsider the way we brand the event on flyers and cross promo content with HIN? Ya we might, but it did not affect the success of the event from a number of different stand points. The focus was on the drifting. When there was no drifting the stands were empty and there was no drifting for only a few moments of the entire event. The strength of the event was drifting. That has always been our intention.

What some of you may or may not realize is that drifting has mass appeal. It is very exciting to watch. You may not like other things or people infiltrating "your" sport but it really isn't your sport. This topic has been exhausted before but no one has the right to claim drifting as theirs not us not you. It is for anyone that wants it. Whether it's a guy with a lowered civic or a 40+ NASCAR fan.

Don't confuse the D1 with sanctity and that it is more pure than FD. Since most of you only speak off what you know or what some has told you you'd be surprised how willing D1 would be to do and exploit many of the relationships we have. HIN being one of them.

Rather than complain about what you dont like I challenge any of you to call me up and you'll see how open we are to to listening. You guys are mostly purist and I respect that. Personally I know what it is like to be on your side of the table. It's good that you are so passionate. Those of you that are not already involved should get more involved. The core of our events have always been drifting and that will not change. I love our drivers and would do anytihng for them and anything to help them advance and be able to do more of what they love.

Again, my phone is open. Call me up. Rather than bitching on a public forum and showing your disgust for whatever, step up and call me and I would be happy to talk with you about every single one of your concerns and hopefully help you understand what is going on over here.

Bottomline is that we are commited to drifting. We will do more events next year and we will push it harder and harder. We will go to more cities and we will try to grow the US talent even more. If you want to make a difference and you think you have got it right answer let me know i'm here for you

Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                X