ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If there's anyone out there that can provide answers for my article for Journalism.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If there's anyone out there that can provide answers for my article for Journalism.

· How would you define drifting?

· What does drifting mean to you?

· How did you get into this motorsport?

· Is this more of a hobby or can it turn into a profession? Has it inspired you to go into another profession?

· Are there any ideas, beliefs that you feel put a stigma on drifting?

· Is there a difference between street racing and drifting?

· Are there any drifting-related injuries that you’ve seen occur frequently and how do you prevent that?

· Are there any skills needed to be in this sport? If so what kind of skills?

· Are there any moves or maneuvers that are popular?

· Are there anymore ideas that you feel you would like to add about drifting?

I'll take a stab....

· How would you define drifting?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drifting_%28motorsport%29 -
    Drifting refers to a driving technique and to a motorsport where the driver intentionally over steers, causing loss of traction in the rear wheels through turns, while maintaining vehicle control and a high exit speed.

Also, this gives a brief history:
    http://formulad.com/general-info/drifting-history.html

· What does drifting mean to you?
    To me, Drifting is the most interesting motorsport. A lot of people refer to it as "the most interesting parts of a NASCAR race every lap". It's a motorsports for the MTV / A-D-H-D generation. I think it's easy for the average person to pick up and fans of all ages to relate. I've been involved in cars since I was a kid, but never invited my parents to come watch an event prior to drifting because I knew they would get bored. When they finally came to watch a drifting event, they had a blast. The fact that I can share my love of cars with my parents (who probably couldn't check their own oil if you asked them) makes drifting an ideal sport to watch IMO.

· How did you get into this motorsport?
    I don't actually drive, but I went to the first JDM vs DTM / Drift Showoff in the parking lot at Irwindale Speedway back in 2003 as a member of the media. Later that year, the first D1GP competition came to town, and I covered that event as well. As soon as I saw the first drifting competition in person, I became hooked as a fan.

· Is this more of a hobby or can it turn into a profession? Has it inspired you to go into another profession?
    It IS a profession for the top level drivers. Unfortunately, like any motorsport, turning it into a career which pays the bills is very difficult. If you enjoy driving, you should probably treat it like a hobby, and if you can eventually get paid for it, then consider yourself lucky, but don't blow all your money hoping to become the next professional drifter.

· Are there any ideas, beliefs that you feel put a stigma on drifting?
    Ignorant people who think every burnout or ebrake slide in a parking lot is "drifting". The actual motorsport is very precise and controlled, but of course there's idiots out there who mis-label their hooliganism as "drifting".

· Is there a difference between street racing and drifting?
    Yes. See above.

· Are there any drifting-related injuries that you’ve seen occur frequently and how do you prevent that?
    Yes, I was present for one of the worst drifting accidents that has happened at an event in the US - http://www.wreckedmagazine.com/watch...ash-chris-cook - Although he was knocked unconscious, Chris had no major injuries and was back at the track later that day. I was also present in Seattle for Taka's injury - http://www.wreckedmagazine.com/blog/...nd-2010-video/ - both were pretty much fluke accidents.

The best way to prevent injuries is to build your car to the spec of the rule book for a professional series, particularly when it comes to the roll cage and safety gear (fireproof race suit, fireproof gloves, helmet, etc), and keep it on the track. I would say that most injuries in the sport happen in uncontrolled environments (IE the streets) or in cars that aren't prepped for safety.

Ironically, I've seen more injuries happen in the pit from people dropping something on a finger / toe / etc than from actually drifting.

· Are there any skills needed to be in this sport? If so what kind of skills?
    Car control skills are all you need. There's no physical skill that really comes into play, it's almost all mental.

· Are there any moves or maneuvers that are popular?
    There's a few ways to initiate the drift - the feint or weight transfer initiation, clutch-kick, hand-brake, or power-over. that's really the only ways to do it. They aren't really "moves" like you think of video games or skateboarding, just techniques that are taught and mastered.

· Are there anymore ideas that you feel you would like to add about drifting?
    Drifting on the professional level is some of the most exciting motorsports action you can see, especially at a top level event like Formula D. If you haven't actually watched a race in person, I highly suggest you make it out to an event and check it out. Formula D (and I'm sure others) produce a very handy fan guide which will help you get acquainted with the cars and drivers of the series, as well as the judging criteria. Most of the fans are very friendly too, if you tell your neighbor that you're new to the sport, they'll usually be glad to help you understand the sport.
    Last edited by Slapshotnerd; 11-28-2010, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X