Global RallyCross - Cool or Crap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global RallyCross - Cool or Crap?

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are...

drifting content - I'm always cheering for Foust / Millen / Verdier / Hubinette to do well as they will always be FD drivers in my heart
    COOL! I love it!
    59.52%
    CRAP! It sucks.
    40.48%

I've never even heard of it. I still watch WRC. Latvala is a madman.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavi Mike View Post
      I've never even heard of it.

X Games

I think its cool and REAL!

Comment

I literally just heard about it today looking at JR's instagram they had an event in Charleston

Comment

It was on ESPN2 last night. Same series that ran at X Games last year.

There's some videos on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDaT7cglgZM
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TETRUIWIwC4
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a3Hfe899x4

Comment

Originally posted by Cavi Mike View Post
            I've never even heard of it. I still watch WRC. Latvala is a madman.
            I've been following WRC since 2001. Global Rally Cross is more like the super special stages in WRC with all the cars at the same time. It is great to see Gronholm back behind the wheel in a Rally type sport. Also I completely agree that Latvala is the man.

Comment

Screw GRC. Tanner come home already!

Comment

We were there running Sam Hubinette in a rented car. I think the series has a lot of potential.

There are a few things that it needs, like perhaps not allowing any cars to use the short cut joker lap on the first lap so the cars can stay closer together after the start. But I saw the crowd reaction first hand, people were standing up, yelling, and into it. And I mean nearly everybody.

Like drifting, watching it on TV and being there in person are two different things. Compare last years FD final at Irwindale if you were there, and then go watch it on TV. There is no comparison, being there live is 10 times better with both series.

I love FD and don't plan on leaving drifting, ever. But GRC also kicks *Censored**Censored**Censored*. If you don't believe it, go to a live event. A lot of redneck NASCAR fans got hooked on it this weekend watching the race live, it was the talk of the infield the next day.

Ian.
                ASD Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by ASD Team View Post
                  We were there running Sam Hubinette in a rented car. I think the series has a lot of potential.

There are a few things that it needs, like perhaps not allowing any cars to use the short cut joker lap on the first lap so the cars can stay closer together after the start. But I saw the crowd reaction first hand, people were standing up, yelling, and into it. And I mean nearly everybody.

Like drifting, watching it on TV and being there in person are two different things. Compare last years FD final at Irwindale if you were there, and then go watch it on TV. There is no comparison, being there live is 10 times better with both series.

I love FD and don't plan on leaving drifting, ever. But GRC also kicks *Censored**Censored**Censored*. If you don't believe it, go to a live event. A lot of redneck NASCAR fans got hooked on it this weekend watching the race live, it was the talk of the infield the next day.

Ian.
                  ASD Inc.
                  I was there for Irwindale last year, and It was really amazing. Streaming videos did it no justice as to the energy the whole stadium had on one of the craziest, and best FD events ever.

I need to go see one of the GRC rounds live. If it's like you say it is, then that's American Rally making a jump back into the spotlight. While I would rather go camping, drinking beer, BBQing, watching rally cars fly by in the forest all hours of the day and night with friends, not everyone is up to that. Stadium style Rally events will get big in the USofA IMO.

Do they have classes? like semi-stock or RWD only? Missile drift cars would do well in a sport like this if they allow RWD classes.

Comment

I think the biggest problem right now is that it's basically a spec series. If you aren't in a Ford Fiesta, you won't be able to keep up. If Ford decides to drop their sponsorship, half the series is without a ride. I noticed that none of the prelim heats had the full heat finish the series, there was lots of breakage. I realize this is a new series, but perhaps containing the horsepower to encourage reliability would help.

Also, it's basically a glorified demolition derby. Full contact is almost encouraged. If you ever want this to be long-term viable, you can't let drivers ram cars and run them off of the course like that. Of course the rednecks in Charlotte loved the racing because they're used to demolition derby

Finally, the course need to be thought out better. At X-games, the 'joker' lap was 10 seconds longer than the normal lap. If it were the other way around and the joker lap was shorter, then people might take it multiple times in an attempt to catch up. Then cars might take the jump multiple times, and let's face it, that was half the fun of the course. Charlotte's jump was a joke, but the shortcut was too different from the main loop with no risk. Perhaps there should be a rule that if you're more than 12 seconds behind, you can take the shortcut multiple times (which cuts 10 seconds off the lap). This would bunch the cars up more and make for tighter racing, which is the end goal. It also would have been nice if the water feature was only in the shortcut lap or there was some other sort of hazard which made the shortcut lap more treacherous.

Comment

Me and a bunch of buddies were at the house and livestreamed it, we all thought it was rad!

Comment

Working...
                      X