No announcement yet.

(PREVIEW VIDEO): D1 Grand Prix Chicago August 1st 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, Quoc was already on his side when me and Jesse pulled him out. I thought I smelled fuel too so I wanted to get Quoc away from the car as soon as possible. Had Quoc been unconscious and still strapped in the car the right thing would have been to leave him in there. Thank God for helmets, and so sad for the water barriers, but if it wasn't for that safety measure it could have been worse. I'm just glad some of you who thought differently weren't there instead of me.

In regards to the barriers, whether it's concrete or plastic, cars have a tendency to travel up the slopes found on either type of barrier and careen over. I mean, remember in Irwindale with Calvin Wan's Backside tail grind on the inner bank? It even happens on that type.

Both Formula D and D1 have equal chance at killing anyone first, the idea is to hope that it never happens for either group and take whatever reasonable precautions to avoid it from happening. In addition, Formula D Long Beach is an exception to many rules given it's location and affiliation.

Finally I think Taka Aono holds the record for times flipped in a car!

Comment

Ali -

Formula D requires all workers / photographers / pit crew working in a "hot area" to wear long pants, even in extreme circumstances like Las Vegas. Why weren't all track workers at the D1 event in long pants? Does D1 not have this rule?

Also, were the water barriers filled to the brim? I can't tell in the video.

Comment

Jacob -

My rulebook states I will wear whatever I want at any and all times. What you and everyone else didnt see was me and Jesse rush from the stands, jump the bicycle barrier, push through the fencing, and jump over both sets of barriers and then get to where we were pulling Quoc out of the car. You lame a$$ excuse for a journalist. Go get that story!

Comment

Well......now there's professionalism at its finest. I guess maybe that's a little inside peek into why D1 is failing in the USA.

Sometimes it's best to say nothing at all.

Comment

I'm the last reason anything let alone D1 would fail brother. Anyone who has met, known me or worked with me the last 6 months can attest to that. Just don't forget who's had your back in the past. Sometimes it really is best to say nothing at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ALI's DRIFT GARAGE View Post
              Jacob -

My rulebook states I will wear whatever I want at any and all times. What you and everyone else didnt see was me and Jesse rush from the stands, jump the bicycle barrier, push through the fencing, and jump over both sets of barriers and then get to where we were pulling Quoc out of the car. You lame a$$ excuse for a journalist. Go get that story!
              you were able to do all that before a course worker got there?!

ps - thanks for the compliment.

Comment

Ali - From day one, you have always been very cool, calm, and collected with your replies to all the negative feedback D1 has gotten this year. It seems like the season is finally getting to you with the reply to Slapshotnerd....

I think most people are just concerned about the safety of all those involved, especially the drivers. You are right about FD Long Beach being an exception, but maybe that should be the standard for all events.

Comment

Thanks for noticing, I took the Quoc thing really personally, it was scary and my adrenaline took over. Safety is always the primary concern for driver and fans. Then it's the competition, then the show, and then everything else. I apologize about my comments to slap, I don't take them back, but I should have made them private.

Comment

I've been in your position more than you'd realize, Ali. That's why I'm trying to help you recognize the situation from an outsiders' perspective. Notice that my post was inquisitive, not derogatory. I wasn't at the event, and was trying to get more information.

Comment

Originally posted by ALI's DRIFT GARAGE View Post
                      Jacob -

You lame a$$ excuse for a journalist. Go get that story!

wow....you're talking about running a professional series yet you make comments like this to people in your media group.

Comment

Jacob isn't welcome at any D1 events in any official capacity, though he is welcome to buy a ticket and watch. I've spoken in regards to this matter originally with Everything Drift and then with Bob Hernandez from Urban Racer quite a few times. So no, I do not consider him part of our media group.

At any rate my comments were made on my own behalf and not the official position of any other employee at Driven Events or the D1 Grand Prix...except for the part about him not being welcome.

Comment

Ali -

check PM's.

I was at the Anaheim show as a member of the media. Someone didn't get the memo.
                          Last edited by Slapshotnerd; 08-06-2009, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Even though I respect ali and who ever else who jumped gates to get to quoc first. Why wasnt there any official medical response there first? We do live in america where everyone has a lawyer.

On the contrary though, drift safety as a whole hasn't been all that up to "code" since the beginning. Anyone remember, Hibino vs Miki in ebisu many years back. Orido was the first on the scene when Miki whiped out.

And even at last years Red Bull Championship, why was Victors emergency hooker on the scene of every crash before the paramedics were....? I think we are all being to anal about this. Personally, I feel there's a few more issues that D1 needs to take care of before this.

Comment

Ali, I posted this on another thread but seems like youre active on this one. Can you give us more info on when D1 USA events will be on TV?

Comment

Working...
                              X