Ask RHYS MILLEN Racing Something!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry i think we got our wires crossed.

I wanted to give an example of the car i started with my 91 turbo subby. This is my everyday car and wen i get neady i drift it on some quiet streets.

My car i am taking to the track is a FR 81 Toyota Celica Liftback, its got a stock 2L engine, i have taken everything out of the rear (its a two door). I am also going to cut the springs and lock the diff.

Thats all the mods i will do for the moment cause i am on a small budget.

What i wanted to know was, because i am a beginner, what techniques i should use in my toyota for my first time?

When your out on the track what is going through your mind honestly?

Do you do anything in preperation before an event? Anything special you do?

Thanks

Aaron

Comment

Sorry about that,I should have read a little further - in a hurry. I don't recommend either of your ideas regarding cutting springs and locking the rear diff to be honest. Cutting springs will lower the car but won't give you any idea of the spring rate you will have achieved. This may cause the car to hop in the rear and unbalance the car completely. Regarding the diff, a locked diff will make the car develop an extreme push, requiring full commitment at all times to sustain control.
      Before an event I usually stay to myself. No real method to my madness, just go for a walk get my mind of the event and relax. This is short lived usually by my team manager calling me asking where the heck I am and I need to be ready in Five Minutes.... !
      On the track before rounds I have a play list, preparing to run against a compeditor you better know their game. Is it high speed entry, big angle, big smoke, delayed entry. All of these points allow you to focus on your game, because when the flag drops it's on. I mean it's on so fast all that you can do is react to the indiviual your running against, at times when following you aren't driving the track you are driving your competions style. This is the real excitment of drifting - being able to adapt your style to that of the competition - Rhys.
      Team RMR
      www.RMRProducts.com

www.GTODrift.com

Comment

Rhys which Duke boy are you doubling for in Dukes Of Hazzard..
        Is Scotty going to double for the Stiffler actor guy???

Comment

I spent 3 weeks of this month in Louisiana returning the first day of the D1 event. I am doubling Sean William Scott ( stiffler ) who is playing Bo duke. I spent 2 days with Sean teahing him a few tricks that he used to slide up to camera before saying his lines. I return on the 5th of Jan until the end of Jan. We have already done some crazy driving and jumps, it's sure to be a great movie stunt driving wise - the second unit stunt director was the same director who wrote the chase sceen in born Supremacy. Luke duke is played by Johnny Knoxville, Burt Reynolds is Boss Hogg and Willy Nelson is Uncle Jessie - and we all know that Jessica is Daisy - yummy
          Team RMR
          www.RMRProducts.com

www.GTODrift.com

Comment

Sick,,people don't know about all the stunt work you do..
            I like the story where they locked you in the Nissan with no A/C during a commercial shoot in the Hot Desert..You finally got out, chased and ran down the Director......lolololol

Comment

Thanks for the pointers, I will keep them in mind.

Aaron

Comment

Rhys, so when did you start drifting?

I know you did not recently just start drifting. Did you learn it in mountain bike racing? Rally racing? or Doing smokey slides in car commercials? Or just for the hell of it on the road track?

Comment

When did I first start drifting? As a sport, it was last year at Irwindale speedway. As a style of driving it would have been when I was 19 and started with rallying. My first car was a Mazda MX6 2.2L turbo, then moved onto a Toyota Celica 4wd. I got my Supra through sponsorship from Toyota in 1994 ( Sold it to Japsper Performance last year ) and funny enough was out at the first drift day in the US in 1996 ( Willow Springs ) - that day they had a competition. We spent all day waiting around, I got pissed and went home before the competition started - I think a front drive vehicle finished first !
                  I must say that I have learn't alot this year, every event we have gone to has exposed a slightly drifferent style and technique required to be compeditive, this is what excites me as a driver about the sport- learning ! You can be fast as a driver, but I think as a rally driver you have to learn to adapt to many changing conditions, so you need to posses a greater skill set than say a road racer.
                  Team RMR
                  www.RMRProducts.com

www.GTODrift.com

Comment

How did RMR get involved with the first Drift Showoff (March 03) and what were your expectations?

Comment

"as a rally driver you have to learn to adapt to many changing conditions"

Thats a very true statement, and thats why rally drivers are very much respected.

Comment

Drift showoff 03 ? Well I guess in answering this I have to give big prop's to Eric Cantore who works for me. Eric mentioned that there is going to be a drift event and we should take out the rally car and see what it is all about- sounded cool. We had just finished an event a couple of days before hand. With the car still on gravel tires, dusty from the stages and sitting skywards compared to others, I drove it like a rally car - just on pavment. We qualified 1st, but chose not to do the tandam because of the vast difference of a 4wd vs. 2wd vehicle. I was very impressed with the Japanese drivers and their car control. Most of all, I was shocked at the crowd and respect that was given to the drivers. Finallly I found a sport and market I was interested in being a part of. Import drag racing had been the big thing for many years, owning a tuning and aftermarket manufacturing company that didn't fit this mold was hard - plus Drag racing as a driver did't appeal to me one bit - change that many bit's !!! Enter drift, exciting to watch, respect for car control and a sport that tests all parts of tuning a car. Thanks Eric, you rock mate
                        Team RMR
                        www.RMRProducts.com

www.GTODrift.com

Comment

Man its cool to see Rhys posting on the forums. Good job being the first domestic to ever compete in the D1!! Forget all those haters, I would have been cheering for you if I was there.

Comment

Rhys,

i recently saw you at FD Sonoma(Norcal)..wow man..i was impressed a lot by the way you drove..for some reason my dad hated drifting..but since we went to FD..he likes it now..lol..he owns and operates a auto repair shop in Norcal.anyway back to my question:

What car do you drive daily and what are the set-ups?i guess you drive it stock or near to stock?...

Good luck next year..i'll prolly see you at Sonoma FD..

Comment

Rhys postin' up?

Decided to jump on the boards Rhys? It was great seeing you, Eric, Blaire, and the rest of your crew at the latest event. I have to say I miss being trackside with you guys. Since this is a question post, I have a couple of mine... were you utilizing that spoiler airbrake (plexiglass?) at the last event? I don't think I saw it on there. Or was it created for use at Irwindale due to the long high speed hairpin? I thought it was an awesome idea. Second question is, I know you and Rich are friends, did he ever get picked up? I haven't seen him out in any car. He was with Ken Gai performance before right? Just curious.

I need to find a job in motorsports again... oh well. Take care Rhys and you did a great job at JGTC/D1! I was pushing for you and Tyler to make it to the end. No Sammy though. I guess we'll see him in the Crossfire next year. I talked to Terrance a little about it, next year should be a great year for the american auto manufacturers with you (GM), Sam (Chrysler/MOPAR), Ken (Ford). Now if I could only get picked up by Subaru... hmmm.. heheh

Kevin
                              Last edited by STFUAD; 12-31-2004, 11:47 PM.

Comment

my daily driver ? Well seeing that I have spent years in loud, hard sprung race cars and stunt driving. My vehicle of choice is big, smooth and quiet - new 745 BMW. I have lowered it 1" and have 20" wheels- no need for anything more I'm lucky to have it available in the other cars in the shop. I do own a street legal GTO that I enjoy driving, but this is in the shop under product development more than I'm able to drive it- thanks GM
                                Team RMR
                                www.RMRProducts.com

www.GTODrift.com

Comment

Working...
                                X