ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drifting's EASY According To Christian Rado (Quotes from SPORT COMPACT CAR)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would suggest talking ot the editors to have them change the bad PR. Ive already written a letter.

Comment

• Originally posted by yarzan
      hope this isnt considered kissing *Censored**Censored**Censored*. anyway... you said youve been lving from paychekc to paycheck... or close. ive got one question: HOW COULD YOU AFFORD A 35OOO DOLLAR CELLPHONE????? that's how much a friggin STI costs... please explain this cuz i cant wait for the explanation.
      Well that's pretty interesting now the phone that used to be in posession has gotten up to 35,000 dollars now it goes up everytime I hear about it. No I didn't own a 35K phone. And really what is that have to do with anything to do with racing? That is a pretty shallow question bro, and I'm not even going to address the subject. I work 7days a week on this stuff yeah I now when and how to have fun but thats such a minascule part of what it takes to try to go up against GM, MOPAR, and SATURN as basically a privateer with next to no support from Toyota but I live for this industry and trying to grow it and make it a place where everyone that want's a piece can have a career because it's matured enough. The petty bickering about unimportant BS facts of peoples life and about companies can destroy the industry from with in. Stop & Think How To Make It Better..

Comment

• Comon Give the Guy a chance he's here ready to answere your questions and clear stuff up. I know what its like to have you comments taken out of context. Look at the Diald not all those were my exact comment. If he wants to run let it be its open to anyone. For anyone here that thinks their any better meet him at a event, Handle it on a track. Callin names and pushin buttons is not what this sport needs. Grow up and move on the guy has explained himself.

Comment

• ok so it wanst 35k. the article says it was 20k sry for the mistake. and yeah.. youre right

Comment

• May I ask you one question(besides this one).How did you find out about this thread? It's interesting how word passes around so fast.I was expecting you to drop in here sometime,it was only a matter of time.I'm just wondering how everyone who is spoken about manages to find their way here in a matter of days.

Comment

• Like we said before "There's always someone watching"

Drifting.com emailed him about this thread im sure of it..

Comment

• Originally posted by Rado
                Then those of you that would like to do it for a living will never get a shot because the sport won't grow. So don't take my words of professional critism so deeply, I only mean to help the sport why do you think we brought MTV there because we think so highly of it and want to help it mature and not run into some of the problems that Drag Racing did.
                I'm normally not one to criticize, but MTV definitely isn't going to help the sport grow. That is unless your target audience happens to be teenage girls or gey guys.

Comment

• RADO: Like I said too many people think it's some huge mystery to go drifting well we need to change that so events get bigger and more people want to participate
                  I really don't understand this statement. i have never though drifting was a mystery, even when i started to learn in back in 99. Anyone with any racing knowledge understands that the concepts and techniques used to drift are pretty much the same as those used to race (autocross,road racing, etc.). Also, People who love racing usually get interested in drifting really quick. Lets not forget that over the past two years drifting has been captivating the minds of all import/automotive lovers by storm, this site is a good example of that, which was create sometime last year. So, although i'm still trying to figure it, this statement does make sense to me... People will come because this is great sport to take part in and watch; individuals who are dedicated enought to put the time and effort to learn about the nature of racing will drift.
                  Last edited by SilviaLove; 05-26-2004, 09:03 PM.

Comment

• rado dude, i dont know you or anything, but i think you should stick to what you do and not just jump on the bandwagon. Like you said dragging takes up alot of your time, and you shouldnt have (pro) drifting as a side hoddy. leave drifting to the people that can devote thier whole time to the sport. if you want to do it at drift days or whatever fine, but its definitely NOT good for the sport for you to get a nice sponsored drift car just beause you are famous while you cut out the spot of someone who is devoting all of his time to perfect his style. basically what i'm saying is: you are not qualified to come into the drift scene at a profesional level, and therefore you shouldnt bad mouth the d1 drivers or the drifting scene. when you are placing at D1 events, then you can tell everyone what is wrong with drifting.

Comment

• If Chris wants to drift..let him..bring it and we'll see what happens. That's the best any of you can do..not just him. I can see how it bothers some of you though..you see a sport sort of faultery while another rushes into the spotlight. The drivers see the trend and want to "keep in the game"..or so that's what it appears to look like..but hell..I've been involved in most motorsports from time to time throughout the years..yes..you guys know I love drifting and always have since I first experienced it back when I lived in Segami prefecture in Japan, but the fact remains that I've dabbled in them all, here and there, yet no one ever second guesses me. My point is..don't always take things for face value..they aren't always what they "appear" to be. To anyone who wants to talk trash..I say fine..but back it up at the track where it counts. Drifting..well, I'm in it and love it because it's fun..that's about it. My $0.02

Comment

• Basically, love drifting for what it is and not just for its popularity.

Comment

• Think about it, hes at the same level as the rest of the beginners when it comes to drifting. Good luck to you, Chris.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chas
                            Think about it, hes at the same level as the rest of the beginners when it comes to drifting. Good luck to you, Chris.
                            thats exactly my point. he is at the same level as any beginer, so why should he get sponsorship or access to pro competitions without working for it. i said before that if he wants to start like everyone else at the driftdays then right on, but he shouldnt get to bypass everyone elses hard work just because he is a famous drag racer.

Comment

• Rado, nobody hates you man. But as you can tell, your article has generated a lot of negative publicity for you as a driver. As a person that writes for a magazine, you should be prepared for these types of responses. Nobody knows you personally. All we know is what we read, and that is what we use to judge you. The "attitude" that we picked up while reading that article is exactly what the people currently involved in the sport do not want to see. Some of us have experienced similar attitudes in person, but not in print in a large publication yet. If you can't understand why so many people get worked up reading your article, maybe that will help you understand. You are pretty much the first person from the USA to make an article like this, and everyone is taking their hatred for that "attitude" out on you. But people dont hate you personally (that would be ignorant). Comming on here and giving us a more positive view on the sport is a good thing, and it will help your reputation as a driver, but I still wonder about your intentions while writing that article. You claim you were wronged by being mis quoted, yet you also tell us 95% of the "general idea" makes it to the article. So which is it? Is it possible that maybe you made a mistake when writing that article? Possible you had a false sense of what drifting is all about and the intentions of the people that participate in the sport? Like others have said ... lots of questions.

Nobody here wants to make drifting seem like some "lost ancient mystery." If this was the case, there would be no forums for us to discuss the sport and spread knowledge gained from experiences. 99% of the drifters I know are humble people that are more than willing to help new people out. But it all depends on the persons attitude when asking for help or asking for a ride along. If the person comes off as arrogant or a punk, people are less likely to help them out. Maybe if you take the time from your busy drag racing schedule to attend a grass root level drift event you would get a better understanding about the sport. Definately something that should be done before writing articles about drifting. You had that much fun at the D1? Then get involved!! How many of us have raced big road course like Laguna or Lime Rock? NOT MANY. Does grip roadracing matter when it comes to drifting? NO. Have I been to any events where the grip roadracers think drifting is easy and comment how easy it is? ALOT. Have I been to an event where one of these trash talking grip roadracers actually have the balls to take their car out and try it? VERY FEW. Have I been to an event where a good grip roadracer commenting how easy drifting is takes his car out to drift and does not spin out, bobble, or crash his first time trying it? NEVER. Drifting is not some huge mystery, but its also not a sport you can just step in to and do your first time trying. Even with previous racing experience, its not as easy as you think. This sport rewards practice, plain and simple. There is a reason nobody wanted to let you drive their car at the D1. Have you ever drifted before? I know it sounds arrogant to the new guys, but thats how it is. Everyone crashes, but the guys learning crash the most. Dont expect other people to lend you their car to learn on. Get your own car that you can crash and have no second thoughts. I'm sorry if that sounds arrogant, but a lot of these people are using their own cars, or their friends cars, and its just not something people are willing to risk.

The reason some of the cars you might see drifting look "ghetto" is because drifting is a high risk sport. As drivers push their limits and learn new techniques, they increase the chance of crashing. No other motorsport in the world involves a deliberate loss of traction. I'll tell you straight up man, everyone crashes at one point or another, even you and even me. This damage done is what makes the cars look "ghetto." Very different from drag racing where some people might have "ghetto" looking rides because they plain out dont care what the exterior looks like, but instead more concered with whats under the hood. Drifters often want their car to look good, but the horrible reality is they can't afford to paint that $30 junkyard fender they had to replace from accidentally crashing last week, but they want to drift anyway. Should they not drift because the car dosnt look pretty? Hell no! Some drifters even take pride in the damage done to their car, refering to it as "drift damage" or "battle damage." By looking at the damage every time they look at the car they will be reminded of the mistake they made that caused the crash, and less likely to make the same mistake again. Some of them might even consider it "pretty" (thats the hardcore guys right there). Again, very different from the reasoning behind the "ghetto" look you see in drag racing. To a drifter, how the car looks does not really matter that much because we understand that this sport is about SKILL not the car. The best driver with the ugliest underpowered car can still hand you your azz. Sponsorships probably wont recognize this, but that does not mean any less of the drivers. If you ask me, you should actually be viewing these "ghetto" cars with respect.

If you weren't rich, why did you have a $20,000 cell phone? I work 5 days a week and I'm not going broke on a weekly basis. But my cell phone is the crappy looking FREE phone. Its all about priorities man. If you flaunt around a $20,000 cell phone, expect people to stereotype you as a rich person. You dont want the stereotype? Then dont flaunt that stuff around (aka let someone write an article about it)

What has Feint done for the sport? Simple man, he participates. Thats all you can do as a driver. And at this current point and time that seem like more than you're doing for the sport. Again you are displaying the ATTITUDE that we do not want in this sport. You say you have "nothing but the utmost respect for all the drivers big and small anyone who gets out and trys to make it happen" and here you are asking someone that participates in the scene "What have you done for the sport or the industry?" I just dont get it man? If you want to question why he says what he says, go for it. But by comming from that angle of "What have YOU done?" you are displaying that attitude that we dont like, and dont want to see.

If you ever come to Hawaii, look for the tall guy drifting a Camaro. I can introduce you to people that are helpfull, interactive, and friendly. Maybe even someone that will let you barrow their car. We also have guys with nice looking drift cars here. I honestly dont think your article did the scene justice, but maybe if we can introduce you to more people in the scene, you can get a better understanding of what we are all about.
                              Last edited by CrazyHawaiian; 05-27-2004, 04:53 AM.

Comment

• Crazy Hawaiian,

I beg to differ regarding road racers going drifting.

Many skills required in drifting comes from road racing. Simply, the car control.

The ones that couldn't drift right first time out are the ones with the wrong concept of drifting.

I've talked to several race car drivers, mostly form local track days, and if the driver knows what the goal of drifting is, he/she can nail it in about 3 to 4 try.

I come from lots of track experience into drifting. Everytime I push myself to go for a faster entry into a corner, I always, always revert to my road racing skills to control the line, aim for apex, etc.

Thinking road racing experience is irrelavent to drifting experience is simply ignorant of the sport. (Yes, I know you have been at drifing for a while, but I still make that statement.)

Comment

Working...
                                X