(ADDRESSING RUMORS) ASD 2013 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (ADDRESSING RUMORS) ASD 2013 Season

We reached out to ASD to ask a few questions about their plans for the 2013 season.

- Will ASD return for the 2013 FD Season?

"Yes, ASD will be returning to Formula D competition in 2013 and beyond. We are committed to Formula Drift for the foreseeable future".

- Which cars will ASD Support in 2013?

"We're not in a position where we can announce cars or drivers for 2013 yet. All those details are in process and being evaluated with potential drivers and commercial partners. I have a pretty good idea where we're going with some of it but can't say anything yet".

- So are you still looking for drivers and sponsors?

"It depends, but I'll always look at opportunities to further expand our program if it's a good fit. How many cars we will run in FD is yet to be determined dependent on other things we're also looking at for 2013 and beyond".

- So this split with Falken has been planned for a while it sounds like?

"Not a long time. I think every business is always looking at their direction and examining their path. Falken has been an awesome partner for us and we've had a lot of success together. I think it's been really mutually beneficial. It wasn't until right before the New Jersey FD event that I let Falken know ASD wouldn't be returning with their team next season. It seemed like the right thing to do to give Falken plenty of notice and it not be a surprise to them at the end of this year. For right now, our focus is on doing the best possible job we can for them for the rest of this year. And I sincerely wish them all the best for the future, I've made some good friends over there and want to see them keep succeeding. But for right now, our focus is on trying to help them win another championship this year with either JTP or JR. Everything else for next year will sort itself out along the way over the next couple of months".

Personally, I'm excited to see where this goes. I really hope that Falken allows ASD to retain the Mustangs, but it's certainly not the end of the world if they have to cobble together something new. I also hope Vaughn and Justin remain with ASD, but I'm sure that depends on contracts and preferences higher up the ladder than most of us are allowed to climb.

Good luck to ASD and Falken, as well as everyone else in the middle!

Comment

I really wish Falken would sign a legit Japanese superstar to their roster with the freed up budget.

Koguchi in the States anyone?

Comment

I'm guessing ASD with Yokohama next year. Yokohama returned to FD this year and probably wants to expand next year. Based on their presence in other series they are willing to shell out the dough.

Comment

I was actually going to make a thread regarding Yokohama with their lack of success returning to FD

Seems like a good fit for ASD, and Ian has worked with them back in the day when they sponsored RMR/Pontiac

I cant imagine Vaughn without the Falken livery though lol

Comment

What affect will this change in direction have on the ASD MOB program? Will ASD continue to run it as normal?

Comment

ASD should combine with Mad Mike Whiddett. Build a new rx7 chassis with their massive FD winning tech knowledge combined with crazy NZ built 4 rotor motor and unique mad mike styling? That would be so easy to market and could perform so well! That would be so awesome, and i'm not biased I love the mustangs and sprint motors they utilize at the moment.

Either way, glad ASD isn't disappearing! They bring a lot more to FD than they get credit for.

Comment

Originally posted by sidekick View Post
                ASD should combine with Mad Mike Whiddett. Build a new rx7 chassis with their massive FD winning tech knowledge combined with crazy NZ built 4 rotor motor and unique mad mike styling? That would be so easy to market and could perform so well! That would be so awesome, and i'm not biased I love the mustangs and sprint motors they utilize at the moment.

Comment

I just want to see an ASD machine in a D1GP Japanese event.

Comment

@ Bebop

LOLIGATOR!!

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u View Post
                      I just want to see an ASD machine in a D1GP Japanese event.
                      Me too. I think it would do quite well with the right driver.

Comment

I think a ASD machine would look foolish in D1.

They have had so many opportunities to get out there, FD drivers as a whole are ducking D1GP like Mayweather and Paquiao.

Comment

ASD ducks nobody. thats a stupid comment

Comment

ASD and JR sent a car out to Asia, they could have competed in D1 or even FD Asia but they decided to drive in WDS. WDS could have and probably did pay them just to show up but it just goes to show that the resources are available for them to get to japan...they just aren't making it happen. Look at how many D1 guys have shown up to FD and whooped a$$, Yamamoto, Okubo, Haruguchi, Yoshioka, Takatori, etc etc.... it would be nice if someone from FD would return the favor .

I call it how I see it, they duckin!

Comment

We're not ducking D1. We were trying to get to the Tokyo event this year but couldn't quite put it all together.

Its not cheap to get a race car around the world and compete in another country. The WDS series has assisted us to some degree with those costs for their series, so competing in WDS China is more attainable than competing in Japan. Hopefully in the future we'll get the package together to compete in a D1 event, although I highly doubt D1 would be of help like the WDS series has been. So its definitely a bigger financial challenge to run a D1 event.
                              Personally, I'd love to see how we would stack up against the years of experience in the D1 series. There's really no way of knowing for sure if we could be very competitive, or get our butts handed to us, unless we go to find out.

As for the rest of the comments above, I'm sorry that we can't comment any more on our future direction yet. But we are as dedicated to Formula D as we have always been, and also hope to continue with some international competitions as (or if) the opportunities arise going forward.

On top of that, we really appreciate the support from all of you who do support our team. When it gets down to it, we're just a bunch of friends who are working really hard to do what we love doing, and as many of you know it isn't easy. In addition to competing in FD, we still plan on running the ASD Mob program supporting grassroots and Pro-Am drivers, as well as continuing to support Pro-Am events as much as we can afford to. This is a passion for all of us that work here, and seeing support from the drift community means a lot. A sincere thank you to all of you who are wishing us the best, we're working hard to make it all work out.

But apart from that, as much work as it is, we're still having a blast doing it

Comment

Working...
                              X