• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. Bebop just got served.

Comment

Originally posted by stedriftward View Post
      Wow. Bebop just got served.
      Really? Did they post a video of them going to D1, winning, and choking out Nomuken while stomping on the Japanese flag? Did I miss something?

But they posted just what I assumed, WDS PAID them to show up to their series. I cant hate on that but I cant pat them on the back for that either, since 2002 dozens of Japanese drivers have been shipping their own cars out here to put on a show and compete. There has not been a single American that has returned the favor, like I said that's not just directed at ASD but the whole FD roster as a whole.

I call it how I see it. Please prove me wrong.

Comment

First of all.... Come on Mayweather would beat Paquiao

Seriously though, unless D1 kicks down some money (which they should) I do not see any team spending the cash to go all the way out there just to prove a point. Most if not all the Japanese drivers that came here had help from teams that are based here. I say call on the D1 teams or D1 to help out to make this happen (without having to use "the biggest TV deal in drifting history" as a carrot).

Anyhow the only USA vs Japan rematch I want to see is Forsberg vs N.O.B.! They got unfinished business!

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeySlide View Post
          First of all.... Come on Mayweather would beat Paquiao

Seriously though, unless D1 kicks down some money (which they should) I do not see any team spending the cash to go all the way out there just to prove a point. Most if not all the Japanese drivers that came here had help from teams that are based here. I say call on the D1 teams or D1 to help out to make this happen (without having to use "the biggest TV deal in drifting history" as a carrot).

Anyhow the only USA vs Japan rematch I want to see is Forsberg vs N.O.B.! They got unfinished business!
          LOL, I feel the same way about Mayweather but that fight still has not happened and Mayweather is the only one making the excuses (lack of money/PED rumors) while Paquiao keeps saying hes ready.

But are you serious? If FD openly spent money out of pocket to bring a team over to compete you and I both know that would be a conflict of interest. I cant think of any sanctioning body outside of Drifting that pays competitors out of pocket just to show up.

That lies on the shoulders of the sponsors, and if you were around back in the day when drifting was first making its way into the states you would know that most Japanese guys were getting the money to compete from Japanese companies not from US ones.

But at the end of the day you gotta spend a huge fortune to make a small fortune and it seems no one in the US wants to take the risk. But at the same time folks here are still claiming superiority.
          Last edited by Bebop; 07-27-2012, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bebop View Post
            But are you serious? If FD openly spent money out of pocket to bring a team over to compete you and I both know that would be a conflict of interest. I cant think of any sanctioning body outside of Drifting that pays competitors out of pocket just to show up.
            NASCAR. All 40-something starting cars get paid (start and parkers).

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post
              NASCAR. All 40-something starting cars get paid (start and parkers).
              Well, they call it a payout but it's the same in the end.

I think I remember a few years ago, either NASA or the SCCA had a small contingency for drivers who traveled a long distance to make their finals. It didn't cover the entire cost, but they were "paid" to show up. It may have even been both series, I don't remember. I also don't remember if you have to complete your race or qualify to get it, either.

Comment

Those are payouts based on where you finish, how many laps you led, and sponsor contingency. Yes parkers and low finishers get paid but the payouts from nascar alone only cover a small portion of the teams expenses, the sponsors hopefully cover the rest. So in other words NASCAR is not footing the bill for ANYONE just to show up. That's prize money not a employee check lol. (sorry Justin you must have posted that right as I started my reply)

What monkeyslide is suggesting is that D1 pays a team before hand just to show up, the only thing I see reasonable for a sanctioning body is to provide transportation oversees if its some sort of all star/world championship event based on someones overall performance over the following year. Anything else would be a conflict of interests, especially if said team wins the whole event.

If FD paid Team Orange to run at Las Vegas next month and they eneded up winning the event the whole internetz would be yelling RIGGED! lol
                Last edited by Bebop; 07-27-2012, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Those are payouts based on where you finish, how many laps you led, and sponsor contingency. Yes parkers and low finishers get paid but the payouts from nascar alone only cover a small portion of the teams expenses, the sponsors hopefully cover the rest. So in other words NASCAR is not footing the bill for ANYONE just to show up. That's prize money not a employee check lol. (sorry Justin you must have posted that right as I started my reply)

What monkeyslide is suggesting is that D1 pays a team before hand just to show up, the only thing I see reasonable for a sanctioning body is to provide transportation oversees if its some sort of all star/world championship event based on someones overall performance over the following year. Anything else would be a conflict of interests, especially if said team wins the whole event.

If FD paid Team Orange to run at Las Vegas next month and they eneded up winning the event the whole internetz would be yelling RIGGED! lol
                  No biggie.

However, if FD did not pay Team Orange to run at Las Vegas and they won, the whole internet will still be yelling "Y U NO 'MURICAN DRIVR WIN? RIGGED!" Or find some way to blame Andy, again. (Seriously, it was Tony last year and this year it's Andy.)

Comment

I think this is a little out of context. All I was saying is that we haven't been able to afford to go to D1. Its not from ducking out, as was suggested.

If you'd like to start a fund Bebop, to help us get there, we'd be happy to go of course I don't expect you to do that, nor do I expect D1 to foot the bill. Its a simple situation of not having the money needed to go. Maybe one day that will change and we'll go find out what happens.

I think suggesting we're afraid to go is a little bit harsh. As is suggesting FD superiority or vice versa. I'd just like to go and compete over there and see what happens. Hopefully one day we will get that opportunity to go compete with those legendary drivers, I'd consider that an honor just to have the opportunity.

Comment

if FD did not pay Team Orange to run at Las Vegas and they won
                      I wouldn't say anything unless there was some weird controversial battle... I certainly wouldn't blame FD. Everyone has a opinion, some are more valid then others.

@ASD

If I was a millionaire I would foot the transportation to get you guys out there in a heartbeat, but sadly I doubt there isn't enough interest for a fund to get you guys to D1.

But I do pose this question; if there would be a D1 event at the end of the year in the USA maybe sometime in November or December would you guys be willing to compete in it?

Comment

But I do pose this question; if there would be a D1 event at the end of the year in the USA maybe sometime in November or December would you guys be willing to compete in it?
                        I think since I've already stated we would like to compete in a D1 event in Japan if funding allowed it, the answer is obvious.

However, if enough of the real D1 drivers didn't show up for an event on US soil, I'm not sure. Unless we got to compete against enough of the best drivers in D1, I wouldn't see much point.
                        We support Formula D, not D1. The point of wanting to compete in D1 would be to compete against the very best D1 teams and drivers. And being drift fans, it would be amazing to go and compete where it all started. This whole "us vs. them" thing about who is better between FD and D1 teams is mostly internet babble. There is a lot of mutual respect I believe, as there should be.

I'm sure many other Formula D teams would also welcome the opportunity to see how they stack up against the best in D1 if the opportunity ever arose.

Back to work. Carry on...

Comment

Well obviously you know why I asked since the last time "D1" showed up to the states only 1 or 2 FD licensed drivers bothered to show. Yeah it was a shallow line up of J drivers but they were all top notch (2 ex champs), combine that with a few more FD drivers I think the show would have been better, thank god for Forrest Wang.

The "Us Vs Them" would be babble if it was just a bunch of internet assholes like me saying it but it isn't. There has been quite of few FD drivers and even a employee who have claimed superiority is the past. It all just does not add up, when someone claims to be better then someone but never competes against them and makes a bunch of excuses why they wont... I call it ducking. That's just my opinion, sorry if you get dragged down in it but you can always prove me wrong.

But the real reason why I asked about a D1 event in the states is because if you look at D1's schedule their round 7/end of the year exhibition doesn't seem to have a confirmed Venue yet. And its dated for December 1-2, that's tell-tale for a oversees event for D1GP. I think there is a big chance of D1 returning to the states.
                          Last edited by Bebop; 07-30-2012, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Well obviously you know why I asked since the last time "D1" showed up to the states only 1 or 2 FD licensed drivers bothered to show. Yeah it was a shallow line up of J drivers but they were all top notch (2 ex champs), combine that with a few more FD drivers I think the show would have been better, thank god for Forrest Wang.

The "Us Vs Them" would be babble if it was just a bunch of internet assholes like me saying it but it isn't. There has been quite of few FD drivers and even a employee who have claimed superiority is the past. It all just does not add up, when someone claims to be better then someone but never competes against them and makes a bunch of excuses why they wont... I call it ducking. That's just my opinion, sorry if you get dragged down in it but you can always prove me wrong.

But the real reason why I asked about a D1 event in the states is because if you look at D1's schedule their round 7/end of the year exhibition doesn't seem to have a confirmed Venue yet. And its dated for December 1-2, that's tell-tale for a oversees event for D1GP. I think there is a big chance of D1 returning to the states.
                            The last time D1 had an event at Irwindale was also over Thanksgiving weekend. Very poor planning on their part, most teams were enjoying the first holiday weekend since the motorsport season ended with family.

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post
                              The last time D1 had an event at Irwindale was also over Thanksgiving weekend. Very poor planning on their part, most teams were enjoying the first holiday weekend since the motorsport season ended with family.

Huh? The only big name driver (at the time) who didn't compete was Chris Forsberg and I think he just didn't have the budget because it was his first year as a team owner (he showed up to the event).

JR
                              Nishida
                              Rhys
                              Tyler McQuarrie
                              Verdier
                              Sam H.
                              Daijiro
                              Ryan Hampton
                              John Russakoff
                              Ken Gushi
                              Chris Cook

All those guys were there. Plus that was a first time we saw Mad Mike and a bunch of other New Zealand guys, A bunch of Irish dudes, some Canadians, Malaysians, a few Aussies, and the best of the best D1 drivers. IIRC Tanner Foust was there but crashed out in practice or unseeded qualifying, JTP was there but failed to Qualify. That was the first drift event that they used a top 32 tandem bracket as well. Overall it was a action packed 2 day event with alot of cool drivers.

Last edited by Bebop; 07-30-2012, 03:54 PM.

Comment

actually, you're right. Everyone went in 2007, it was 2006 that was the year nobody showed up. That was when Dmac first came over, and the event was the weekend before Christmas and it poured rain. Sam and Falken were there, I think Rhys crashed his GTO on Tuesday or Wednesday and I don't think he returned, Foust / Dai / several of the other top FD teams didn't show up.

Comment

Working...
                                X