No announcement yet.

(ADDRESSING RUMORS) ASD 2013 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Falken was there, Sam was there, Rhys was there but "several" other "top" FD teams werent? Do you realize that was in 2006...THOSE WERE THE TOP TEAMS!!! lol

By the way, Foust and Dai were there too. I might have the years mixed up where Tanner crashed in qualifying but other then that most of the top stars in FD were always at the D1 events from 2004-2007.

I know your not a big D1 fan, in fact I think you have mentioned you were black listed by them before but be real. The only time I went to a D1 event and said "damn there is no good american drivers" was in 2009 which I consider XDC.
    Last edited by Bebop; 07-30-2012, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Bebop= Driftopedia

Nice work!

Comment

I have it on pretty good authority that the ASD guys are not afraid of competing with anyone. doesn't matter if it's drifting, go karts, or ping-pong all those guys are super competitive and want to go against the best at all times.

I'm sure D1 will be in the cards at some point but as was said they have a commitment to FD and as such they aren't about to worry about a series they don't run in at the expense of a series they actually do run in.

Comment

There should be a meme that says: Bebop - Talking nonsense and driving drifting forums crazy since 2004.

Let's be clear, if you are a driver/drifter, you are a competitor. That means you compete against others like you. Not one D1 driver or FD driver ducks each other or visa versa. You really can't believe that, can you? Vaughn, Chris, Rhys, Tuerck, Dai, Aasbo, Powers.. afraid? Come on, really?

I can explain to you very easily why drivers go an compete in other series. It's simply a matter of value and money, as ASD clearly stated and is widely known.

The reason there is a lopsided number of D1 drivers coming here to compete in the FD rather than FD to D1 is simply because the US is the largest media market in the world and FD is the largest series here. This market moves products and gets you noticed, not only here but globally. That has been true for some time and that is why globally it has been easier for us to get a foothold. We are served globally via major and endemic media, live stream and our TV show is in most major media markets globally.

This has nothing to do with FD drivers scared to drift against D1 drivers. Any thinking person can see that and it really discredits your perspective if you take that position even remotely seriously. By your own admission and posting, you show events where both drivers have competed against each other. If that is "calling it how you see it", I hate to say it, but you need to clean those glasses there son.

Comment

Hey FD! Glad to see you guys only show up when I'm talking sh*t. When I'm defending you guys or giving props your no where to be found.

My oppinion about FD drivers ducking D1 is not a fact but a oppinion. But my oppinions are based on facts, let me break them down to you.

No american team has ever sent a car to Japan - FACT

Only 1 current FD driver from America has driven in D1 Japan -FACT

Only 2 D1 transplanted drivers have failed to taste a FD podium - FACT

Formula D teams are fielding cars in other countries and series but not Japan - FACT

In 2009 when "D1" held a event in Anaheim and only 2 FD licensed drivers showed up -FACT

FD drivers, and employees still wrongly discredit D1 (look at slapshot's post) - FACT

This is how I base my opinion my opinion is not fact. Aren't you the one who taught me that?

And yeah, the American market is strong... stronger then the Japanese I will admit. But why are so many drivers gone? Sam and Tanner both champions gone with the wind, and I can also name like a dozen event winners and podium finishers who arent in the series anymore either. Why are so many good proven drivers out of rides? Why are drivers who never tasted the podium since day 1 still in it. When Redbull packs up and leaves a extreme sport thats when the red flags need to start waiving, but then again I guess we all cant be Rockstars . The market is strong but its very flawed and there are signs of decay.

But seriously though, from the bottom of my heart. I'm feeling alot of the changes, proximity>everything, good job FD.
            Last edited by Bebop; 08-02-2012, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Formula D View Post
              There should be a meme that says: Bebop - Talking nonsense and driving drifting forums crazy since 2004.

Let's be clear, if you are a driver/drifter, you are a competitor. That means you compete against others like you. Not one D1 driver or FD driver ducks each other or visa versa. You really can't believe that, can you? Vaughn, Chris, Rhys, Tuerck, Dai, Aasbo, Powers.. afraid? Come on, really?

I can explain to you very easily why drivers go an compete in other series. It's simply a matter of value and money, as ASD clearly stated and is widely known.

The reason there is a lopsided number of D1 drivers coming here to compete in the FD rather than FD to D1 is simply because the US is the largest media market in the world and FD is the largest series here. This market moves products and gets you noticed, not only here but globally. That has been true for some time and that is why globally it has been easier for us to get a foothold. We are served globally via major and endemic media, live stream and our TV show is in most major media markets globally.

This has nothing to do with FD drivers scared to drift against D1 drivers. Any thinking person can see that and it really discredits your perspective if you take that position even remotely seriously. By your own admission and posting, you show events where both drivers have competed against each other. If that is "calling it how you see it", I hate to say it, but you need to clean those glasses there son.
              I just want to see you guys at Ebisu.

Comment

No american team has ever sent a car to Japan - FACT

Only 1 current FD driver from America has driven in D1 Japan -FACT

Only 2 D1 transplanted drivers have failed to taste a FD podium - FACT

Formula D teams are fielding cars in other countries and series but not Japan - FACT

In 2009 when "D1" held a event in Anaheim and only 2 FD licensed drivers showed up -FACT

FD drivers, and employees still wrongly discredit D1 (look at slapshot's post) - FACT

This is how I base my opinion my opinion is not fact. Aren't you the one who taught me that?
                Ya, so what? That doesn't discredit what both myself and ASD said at all. Fact of the matter is that if there was a want/need and money to go compete in Japan, teams would. You have two reliable sources telling you that now and I would bet you that any driver would come on here and say the same thing.

Why are so may drivers gone, you say? This is part of the reason it's not worth replying sometimes because a statement like that isn't anywhere near logical. Our car counts are at all time high's. Some events we can't even accept as many drivers that try to register.... 55 drivers in a professional series? Basically unheard of. Pro-Am events around the country are brimming. Requests for new groups to become a licensed series has become a department within itself essentially and being a driver in one of the pro-am series is actually pretty awesome these days. In short, there are no shortage of drivers right now.

Why are you surprised when drivers move on to other things? Sam, Tanner drive other events and series. Ya, what is so crazy about that? As a driver you look at what opportunities afford you and you go from there. Those two drivers are also very unique and non-typical scenarios and not to be generalized in, "wow, another key driver left FD." No, those drivers had crazy tenure in terms of years and they moved on to other things because it was the right thing for their lives, not in anyway because drifting is decaying, as you put it. In light of all the evidence, which in plentiful and available to anyone, that is a not a statement that can stand up.

As a driver, you have to be able to not only be competitive but also able to run a program, be a great marketer, have great people working behind you and continue to progress with the series. If you don't have that, you might be in trouble. There can be all the funding in the world coming into the series, but if you don't have all the ingredients, eventually that will become evident. That doesn't mean that I think the amount of money coming in for teams is "perfect" at all. No, we are just barely getting going as far as I can tell and marketers and people are just barely opening their eyes to this sport. Those in it now, the sponsors you see now, are the early adopters who could see what this sport is now and can be in the future.

Also, next time you defend us, I will come on here and say thanks. Even though that would be weird, but if you insist, I am happy to do it.

Finally, I will make this offer to you.... Since you have a great eye to see the current state of drifting, if you would want to, write down your suggestions and/or observations and I would be happy to publicly reply to them. We can have some public banter and perhaps service the community with open dialogue in a public setting.

Comment

Ya, so what? That doesn't discredit what both myself and ASD said at all. Fact of the matter is that if there was a want/need and money to go compete in Japan, teams would. You have two reliable sources telling you that now and I would bet you that any driver would come on here and say the same thing.
                  If I was a millionaire I would foot the transportation to get you guys out there in a heartbeat, but sadly I doubt there isn't enough interest for a fund to get you guys to D1.
                  Why am I quoting your self?

Why are so may drivers gone, you say? This is part of the reason it's not worth replying sometimes because a statement like that isn't anywhere near logical. Our car counts are at all time high's. Some events we can't even accept as many drivers that try to register.... 55 drivers in a professional series? Basically unheard of. Pro-Am events around the country are brimming. Requests for new groups to become a licensed series has become a department within itself essentially and being a driver in one of the pro-am series is actually pretty awesome these days. In short, there are no shortage of drivers right now.

Why are you surprised when drivers move on to other things? Sam, Tanner drive other events and series. Ya, what is so crazy about that? As a driver you look at what opportunities afford you and you go from there. Those two drivers are also very unique and non-typical scenarios and not to be generalized in, "wow, another key driver left FD." No, those drivers had crazy tenure in terms of years and they moved on to other things because it was the right thing for their lives, not in anyway because drifting is decaying, as you put it. In light of all the evidence, which in plentiful and available to anyone, that is a not a statement that can stand up.
                  Wholly smokes 55 drivers OMG!!!! But whats the percentage of them who are competitive? Well that would lead to a answer based on oppinion. How about how many statisticly are going to return next year, or in two years? Those numbers are real nice but I prefer quality over quantity. Me and you both know that these ex champions and podium finishers arent just getting up and saying "I dont feel like drifting anymore". For some odd reason some of big investors are turning there back on drifting and the rest of money isnt always following the talent. This might just be my oppinion but I would rather have those 12 podium finishers back in the series then then a bunch of doomed from the start rookies and mid level bracket squaters.

Its funny how one can admit there is a shortage money in D1 and that's why Americans wont go, but deny the fact there is a shortage of money in FD and that's why drivers are drooping out.

Also, next time you defend us, I will come on here and say thanks. Even though that would be weird, but if you insist, I am happy to do it.

Finally, I will make this offer to you.... Since you have a great eye to see the current state of drifting, if you would want to, write down your suggestions and/or observations and I would be happy to publicly reply to them. We can have some public banter and perhaps service the community with open dialogue in a public setting.
                  LOL we don't need to go that far. But my opinion is rare these days anyways, but I do ask this treat the folks who come on here and say things like "f*ck formula D" and walk away with the same gratitude and admiralty you show me.
                  Last edited by Bebop; 08-03-2012, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Ooops, glitch in the matrix.

Last edited by Bebop; 08-03-2012, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Why am I quoting your self?
                      You are? You argued drivers were ducking. We clearly showed that isn't the case and then explained what the reality was. You now have conceded that point and now you are agreeing with us, going against your original premise.

Wholly smokes 55 drivers OMG!!!! But whats the percentage of them who are competitive? Well that would lead to a answer based on oppinion. How about how many statisticly are going to return next year, or in two years? Those numbers are real nice but I prefer quality over quantity. Me and you both know that these ex champions and podium finishers arent just getting up and saying "I dont feel like drifting anymore". For some odd reason some of big investors are turning there back on drifting and the rest of money isnt always following the talent. This might just be my oppinion but I would rather have those 12 podium finishers back in the series then then a bunch of doomed from the start rookies and mid level bracket squaters.

Its funny how one can admit there is a shortage money in D1 and that's why Americans wont go, but deny the fact there is a shortage of money in FD and that's why drivers are drooping out.
                      So your original statement was:
                      But why are so many drivers gone?
                      and:
                      Why are so many good proven drivers out of rides?
                      I answered the first one pretty clearly, so if now your emphasis on the later is with respect to "good" drivers, all I need to do is point out the fact that FD was the first (and I believe still the only) series to expand to top 32 Tandem; a clear indication of expanding talent and driver pool. That talent and competitiveness has only gotten more progressive over the years to the point where Top 32 in 2012 is arguably as exciting as Top 16 in years past. So in short the evidence shows that a large portion of the field is competitive.

It should also be pointed out there are athletes in every sport that make it to the "bigs" and then are unable to maintain that level. It's got nothing to do with:
                      For some odd reason some of big investors are turning there back on drifting and the rest of money isnt always following the talent
                      With all due respect, you simply don't know what you are talking about.

But my opinion is rare these days anyways
                      It is? You could have fooled me and probably this entire forum.

Hope that cleared things up. Good talk

Comment

Originally posted by Bebop View Post
                        Wholly smokes 55 drivers OMG!!!! But whats the percentage of them who are competitive? Well that would lead to a answer based on oppinion. How about how many statisticly are going to return next year, or in two years? Those numbers are real nice but I prefer quality over quantity.
                        I'm sure everyone would love that too. But that's just not reality. Off the top of my head I can't think of any racing body that were more than half of the field is compeditive 100% of the time. I don't see how you can expect any different from Forumla D.

Me and you both know that these ex champions and podium finishers arent just getting up and saying "I dont feel like drifting anymore". For some odd reason some of big investors are turning there back on drifting and the rest of money isnt always following the talent.
                        Your ussualy pretty knowledgable when it comes to all things drift, but you can't seriously sit there and believe that "investors" are just turning there backs on drifting.
                        Tanner's a pretty busy guy these days with rally, Xgames, Top Gear and the sort and that doesn't leave a whole lot of room to comit to Drifting. If your not going to comit, then your not going to get sponors to back you. End of story.
                        Sam wanted to give (i believe, i could be wrong) Off road truck driving a shot. Again, schedule conflits. Concidering he wasn't doing that well with the Challenger he decided to try another avenue.
                        These aren't secerts. This is how it works for many in the racing world. I don't know if its your love of drifting that makes you think things would work different or what but i'm not seeing a problem other than natural progression.

This might just be my oppinion but I would rather have those 12 podium finishers back in the series then then a bunch of doomed from the start rookies and mid level bracket squaters.

LOL we don't need to go that far. But my opinion is rare these days anyways, but I do ask this treat the folks who come on here and say things like "f*ck formula D" and walk away with the same gratitude and admiralty you show me. [/QUOTE]

Comment

Comment

So 5150 from what I gather and correct me if I am wrong....Would you agree that drifting is merely a stepping stone for "real" motorsports that generate more profit and opportunity? And if so would you agree that drifting and possibly Formula D will never be large enough to generate a lot of profit for drivers so they will continue to move on to "real" motorsports?

Just curious?

Only reason I ask is because obviously Tanner for example decided to keep his rally career going but abandoned the idea that one day Formula D would be large enough to pay the bills. Granted there were schedule clashes but IDK seems it came down to rally or drift as far as his career is concerned and he chose rally.

Just thinking out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by stedriftward View Post
                              Only reason I ask is because obviously Tanner for example decided to keep his rally career going but abandoned the idea that one day Formula D would be large enough to pay the bills. Granted there were schedule clashes but IDK seems it came down to rally or drift as far as his career is concerned and he chose rally.

Just thinking out loud.
                              I know that at least part of the decision to keep rally over drifting was dictated by the sponsors. Ford / Rockstar are footing most (if not all) of the bill related to Tanner's Rally program, and those sponsors have other goals when it comes to drifting.

I remember hearing something that Tanner was the only Rockstar athlete to win gold at the 2007 X Games, and that Rockstar pretty much vowed to support Tanner in X Games as long as he wants to continue competing because of that. I don't think anyone can deny that the visibility for X-games is larger than FD when it comes to the global tv audience (especially since it's a 1-weekend live broadcast), so you can't really blame a sponsor like Rockstar for making that decision.

Ford clearly is still involved in FD and spending money with JR and JTP, so it's not like they aren't supportive of drifting. They just may not have enough money or interest to bankroll 3 cars.

Comment

LOL, all I hear is numbers and dollars signs from FD. At least my opinions have real facts, names behind them. Drivers aren't numbers to me and sponsor arent just dollar signs. Too busy to make a big long response sorry.

Ford wanted Tanner in Rally, and Dodge wanted Sam in Off Road.
                                Last edited by Bebop; 08-03-2012, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X