(QUIT D1GP) KEIICHI TSUCHIYA And DAIJIRO INADA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SSmith View Post
    D1 haters and FD fan boys are laughing hard right now..
    Is this the beginning of the end for drifting?
    Ken Block's gymkhana is more fun than drifting.
    Drifting gets boring after a while, watching a couple of cars slide for a minute..how much more can you go sideways? Even worse with FD rules not allowing passing, where's the excitement seeing 2 cars side by side only to let the lead car keep the lead.
    take pro drifting, take away the wheel to wheel element, make them grip, and instead of walls use cones. you know what your left with? Gymkhana. The KBG videos are great but its boring to watch. Its barely a step away from autocross. And as far as passing goes if that bothers you you have no idea what your looking at.
    Last edited by delicious steve; 12-13-2010, 11:42 AM.

Comment

I've been a fan of drifting for 7 years so I'm pretty sure I have an idea what I'm looking at. The lack of cutting into the lead's line and pushing for a pass without losing drift or colliding is sorely missed. It's like MMA without the soccer kicks and stomps.

Comment

I agree...

Passing is entertaining, even though I wouldn't want it in FD it has its place in D1GP. Thetas why don't try to compare FD to D1 anymore other then the media side of it. The two sports are judged, scheduled, marketed, and presented totally different from one another.

Comment

You know, I think people are blowing this up bigger than what it should be. Is it big news? You bet. Is it going to affect Formula Drift? Maybe, but more than likely it will bring more new talent.

To say, "That's it, drifting it dead," no. It's just a change that's been coming and has been forecast for at least a year, if not more. Formula Drift isn't going anywhere anytime soon. You worry about sponsors? Well, guess what, the US organization that is drifting is Formula Drift, not D1GP. US drifting isn't going to be affected in the way that many that I've been reading are fearing when it comes to US sponsors for a US series. Now will some businesses look at what's happening to D1GP, maybe, but then they have to compare to FD, and guess what, FD has the better ROI (Return On Investment) and business model.

The thing that does have me concerned is if D1GP goes under and MSC (or anyone else) doesn't pick up the slack, our up and coming drivers are going to have a harder time. Car counts could increase or drivers looking for opportunities will increase. As a business, if you look at track records, success rates, and overall, what does he/she bring to the table, Japanese teams/drivers might have a better edge against our American teams/drivers. What do I mean? If a D1GP team, car, and driver come over as a whole, they have something to sell right away. They have an established car, driver, and crew. Even if it was just the driver, the Japanese driver will probably have more experience or have a recognized professional career versus one of our up and coming American drivers. Now, I'm not trying to take away from our drivers or have anything against the Japanese drivers, just show what reality could happen if D1GP goes south with nothing taking it's place. That's the only worry I have when it comes to US drifting and D1GP losing K1 and Daijiro. Other than that, we'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Banner View Post
            The thing that does have me concerned is if D1GP goes under
            What is all this about D1gp going under

They lost 1 investor, 1 judge/guru, and 1 sponsor. FD has lost alot more over the years and are still thriving.

Almost every single ex D1 driver and associate has pointed to those 2 guys as being the issue with whats wrong with the organization. D1 has a 2011 scheduled already booked and ready for action. And have a TV deal in japan and in America on the table.

D's Club has USA spooked right now its almost sickening. Everyone's hoping that that KT and Dai have something that's going to save the sport of Japanese drifting when they were the ones that made it the predetermined slide show it was.

Comment

If a D1GP team, car, and driver come over as a whole, they have something to sell right away. They have an established car, driver, and crew. Even if it was just the driver, the Japanese driver will probably have more experience or have a recognized professional career versus one of our up and coming American drivers. Now, I'm not trying to take away from our drivers or have anything against the Japanese drivers, just show what reality could happen if D1GP goes south with nothing taking it's place. That's the only worry I have when it comes to US drifting and D1GP losing K1 and Daijiro. Other than that, we'll be fine.
              except....

look at the drivers who have come over from Japan and competed in FD - Orido, Yoshioka, Miki, Yamanaka, Takatori, Taniguchi... Miki's sponsorship appears to be up in the air as Parkhouse was seen driving the Lexus. Miki was also bounced from Bergenholtz Racing, and although Apex'i picked up the slack for a few years, he's continued to struggle with sponsorship even after multiple podiums in 2009. Yoshioka won 1 event, and still couldn't find sponsors to fund a full series. Orido has made a few appearances, but still can't get funding over here. Taniguchi did some demos, but can't get any traction. Takatori and Yamanaka both had success for a few years including a 1 podium each, but again they seem to only stick around for a few years and then be gone. I don't think Takatori will have a ride next year, and if he does, it will be his 4th team in 4 years.

What's the 1 thing in common here? They all have a tough time speaking English, and can't get any regular amount of media coverage. Yamanaka is the biggest showman of the group, and his English is substantially better than anyone else, but he missed all of last season because his sponsorship deal fell through. Takatori / Miki / Taniguchi all can't conduct their own interview, and even when they had Ken Gushi translating for them on the FD TV Show, it was painful to watch. Sponsors want to sponsor someone who can talk to their fans in English.

Not to mention that American teams are far cheaper to run than a team from Japan!!

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
                What is all this about D1gp going under
                Hm, I probably should have mentioned that was speculation, but I guess putting if and could isn't enough anymore. (Not trying to pick on you, Blaze, as there have been many who look at my speculation pieces as if I'm saying it's happening).

But, I agree, K1 and Dai have been the problem in D1GP for a while now, its just finally they kicked themselves out.

Comment

Originally posted by YOitzJDM View Post
                  except....

look at the drivers who have come over from Japan and competed in FD - Orido, Yoshioka, Miki, Yamanaka, Takatori, Taniguchi... Miki's sponsorship appears to be up in the air as Parkhouse was seen driving the Lexus. Miki was also bounced from Bergenholtz Racing, and although Apex'i picked up the slack for a few years, he's continued to struggle with sponsorship even after multiple podiums in 2009. Yoshioka won 1 event, and still couldn't find sponsors to fund a full series. Orido has made a few appearances, but still can't get funding over here. Taniguchi did some demos, but can't get any traction. Takatori and Yamanaka both had success for a few years including a 1 podium each, but again they seem to only stick around for a few years and then be gone. I don't think Takatori will have a ride next year, and if he does, it will be his 4th team in 4 years.

What's the 1 thing in common here? They all have a tough time speaking English, and can't get any regular amount of media coverage. Yamanaka is the biggest showman of the group, and his English is substantially better than anyone else, but he missed all of last season because his sponsorship deal fell through. Takatori / Miki / Taniguchi all can't conduct their own interview, and even when they had Ken Gushi translating for them on the FD TV Show, it was painful to watch. Sponsors want to sponsor someone who can talk to their fans in English.

Not to mention that American teams are far cheaper to run than a team from Japan!!
                  I don't disagree with that, as the language barrier is hard to overcome. Us there, them here, you can't speak the language, you are usually doomed to fail. However, I still see it muddying the waters IF D1GP bankrupts, fails, or disappears from existence.

Comment

Hm, I probably should have mentioned that was speculation, but I guess putting if and could isn't enough anymore. (Not trying to pick on you, Blaze, as there have been many who look at my speculation pieces as if I'm saying it's happening).

But, I agree, K1 and Dai have been the problem in D1GP for a while now, its just finally they kicked themselves out.
                    I'm sorry your not the only one who is doing it but this isn't something that has the right to be speculated.

Figuratively speaking, lets just say if Jim Liaw sold his portion of FD, Andy Yen left, and BF left the series. Would we be saying FD might fail? To top it off lets just say the Jim and Andy obviously detrimental to the series... would we still be saying if? I think people would be happy and say F#%k Jim and Andy, GOOD RIDANCE! I feel its a bit of a double standard and miseducation of whats really going on over there.

Orido, Yoshioka, Miki, Yamanaka, Takatori, Taniguchi... Miki's
                    You left out Seigo Yamamoto; one of the first if not the first Japanese driver to commit him self to the sport in the US. And Okubo, who won the first ever round at evergreen in his rookie season. Both have podiums and both are absent from the series for at least 2 years.

I would throw in Haruguchi, but he kinda put him self in exile with his driving style.

Same goes to Hayashida, but hes only been out for a year so far.
                    Last edited by Bebop; 12-13-2010, 05:40 PM.

Comment

driver participation is what will make or break them

Comment

For all those suffering from "Chicken Little" syndrome, just calm down. Drifting isn't in any danger of dying from any of these events. It is still on the up-swing here in the U.S. and worldwide.
                        Just because professional drifting was founded in Japan doesn't mean that it will die because of events which happen there.
                        Hopefully this will shake things up a bit so that progress can be made. Most people are resistant or fearful of change but it's a very necessary part of the evolution of ANYTHING. Drifting is no different.
                        So I say Shake It UP!

The damages that D's club has done to grassroots drifting in the U.S. are still being felt. The healing process is much slower than the wounds are inflicted. Hopefully Japan's drifting scene will benefit from these changes. No one can say for sure just yet. We'll have to just wait and see.

Comment

What exactly is D's club and what damage?

Comment

D's club is Daijiros Inada's company that brings you option magazine, video option, and a couple other videos and publications.

I don't know much of the damages to grassroots drifting here in the states that ontrack mentioned. But every single bad call, exiling, and just overall stubbornness D1 has exhibited over the years has linked back to Daijiro and KT.

Comment

I found this on www.bespokeventures.com, they also have a real translation of KTs blog post. This is just a small portion or D1s issues.

I heard of it last week. Here is my thought in regard what happened:
                              D1 for many years was rigged (not a rumor). Excellent drivers winning championship and disappearing the next season. You might ask, why...
                              Miki Ryuji is one of them (pictured above in the Top Secret S15)). Won with Top Secret and the next year he was no where to be found. Wouldn't you assume that a champion gets to sign another contract with a main tuner shop so that he can run his program the next year? Not so in D1.
                              Same thing can be said about Kazama Yasuyuki. Incredible driver, won two championship back to back and disappeared. No where to be found in the D1 Circus.

Ueo Takahiro, another excellent driver. I doubt excellent drivers (the ones that helped to established this sport), gets kick out from whatever program they're running and gets left behind. He eventually started racing again in the Street Legal class (which has literally no money).
                              How about "okane mochi" Takahiro Ueno? Been drifting before I was born, and never won a damn thing? Established Vertex and T&E, draw thousand of fans to the track, but he never got a single recognition for it. Now, don't tell me he's not good enough. Mr. Ueno ranks up there as far as drifting goes.
                              Naoto Suenaga (Team Orange member), used to race in D1, then overshadowned his little brother Masao, and moved back to Street Legal class. Weird.

Tanaka san is also gone (from Team Orange). Why? Successful drivers don't get enough exposure to make it to the next season?
                              Nomura Ken, being around forever, never won a chamionship ! How come? The closest he scored was 2nd. place. I feel very bad for him. He's the most consistent driver in the D1. If there's one dude that needs no introduction, that's Nomura san.

Yoshioka Toshiki. Another great driver known to run the DRoo-P AE86. Won several races and disappear. Later on ran the Lexus SC430 for a bit, and disappeared again. Very weird.

Nobutero Taniguchi. We all know he races primarly in the GT300 series (driver of the Amemiya's FD3, used to race the Taisan Porsche GT3 back when he left). Nobuteru san' schedule conflicts with the D1? Possibly. So how come Tsuchiya san was always present at every D1 races but not Nobuteru san ?
                              I was "fortunate" enough to talk to Tsuchiya san few years ago at Irwindale and SEMA. Never liked that guy. Very bossy and arrogant toward all the D1 drivers.

My guess is: some of those drivers got upset to the rules of Tsuchiya's style, got tired and left. Now Tsuchiya san can go back and focus his attention on the ARTA/ Aguri program , and shoot BMI and Hot Version videos. Inada san can focus his attention on the Option mag, the TAS, Osaka Makuhari Messe and so forth. While Manubu Suzuki, aka Mana-P, the most "pera pera" voice in D1.....lol..... will go back to the drawing board and keep designing kickass livery for racecars.

I'm sad this came to an end, but I am also happy this shift happened.
                              Now I don't agree with everything that was said above. And I don't think (or at least hope) D1 is gone. But most of what is said is reality. These guys just weren't good for D1 and the sport of drifting. Take a look at KTs blog right now (www.K1planning.com) there are just hyping up DVDs and publications. Gives you a real good feel on there outlook on business.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
                                I found this on www.bespokeventures.com, they also have a real translation of KTs blog post. This is just a small portion or D1s issues.

Now I don't agree with everything that was said above. And I don't think (or at least hope) D1 is gone. But most of what is said is reality. These guys just weren't good for D1 and the sport of drifting. Take a look at KTs blog right now (www.K1planning.com) there are just hyping up DVDs and publications. Gives you a real good feel on there outlook on business.
                                thanks for posting that

Comment

Working...
                                X