What kind of Helmet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of Helmet?

I want to track my Z and I need a helmet. I was just wondering if anyone had recommendations on a particular model and where it was purchased.

umm well i dont know much about car helmets but i assume there pretty much the same as motocross helmets but differnet design of coarse but arai and shoei were always realllly good helmets. i guess theres probably some helmets made specificly(sp?) for auto racing

Comment

well the difference between motocross helmets and aria bell and shoei is that motocross dont have visors. so i guess a full faced hemet would be much safer if since there is a visor but i dont think it makes too much of a difference in drifting. ive seen a few ppl in D1 gp championships using motocross helmets.

Comment

ya thats what i ment by different dessign but you explained it better

Comment

It all depends on the track and the people running the event. Some allow motorcycle helmets and some dont. Just contact the event orginizer or track.

Comment

Originally posted by Raziel
            It all depends on the track and the people running the event. Some allow motorcycle helmets and some dont. Just contact the event orginizer or track.
            Exactly what he said, but what I suggest is to buy a SA2000. Its a Special Applications helmet, so any track will allow it. I believe its the standard at most tracks, even though some will let you pass with a M2000 (Motorcycle) helmet. You mind as well invest in a SA2000, its gonna cost you around 300-400 though. Check out G-Force, I bought mine for $301, compared to the other brands like Sparco which will be around $450.

Comment

For Drift Days we require anything above M95. Most sanctioning bodies for Auto-x will let you use a M class helmet but most track day sanctioning bodies will require a SA class helmet. I would recommend an SA because it is your freaking head.Think about it.

There are three classifications for helmet ratings, MA, SA, or K. MA ratings are tested for motorcycle use only. Blunt force hits from broad hard surfaces. K helmets are for karting and have all the same ratings as motorcycle helmets but they are made to withstand a smaller impact surface such as a roll bar or the bars used to make karts. SA helmets are made to withstand all that, plus hasher impact and are flame retardent.

The test requirements differ every few years, hence the 95, 98, 2000, 2005 ratings. I would recommend the best thing you can afford, it will last you the longest in terms of able to be used at various track days and will offer the most protection.

On a side note helmets are only ment to recieve one heavy impact so refrain from buying used helmets and if you buy it online make sure you have a return policy and wear it around for a while so you know if it fits well and is comfortable for you, there is nothing worse than getting a helmet headache.

Bell and G-Force seem to be the best bang for the buck as far as ratings go. Hope this helped aid in your decission.

You should read any rules and regs. for the event holders you are planning on attending. If you have questions ask before you go to the event. Nothing is more annoying than tech inspecting at an event when people don't read the tech sheet and come to an event just expecting to drive without passing tech.
              Last edited by LOVMUFN; 11-10-2004, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X