No announcement yet.

Science behind drifts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oooww my head hurts and i failed physics. lol i must be one of those quote "naturals" i just get in and feel the car. I learn a little technical stuff here and there, but ive always been one to do better with more hands on than book learnin.

Hmm science of drifting....

Algebra
    English
    Physical Ed.
    American History
    Drifting 101
    Geology

Comment

Experience is the best teacher. Understanding it and actually doing it is two completely different things. Driving will teach you how to, but knowledge will give you understanding of why.

I took physics twice

<--very very lazy, lol

Drifting 101, I'll have to look for that class in the course list for next semester, lol. Sign me up.

Comment

Re: haah

Originally posted by optionboyONLINE

wondertwinPOWERS! form of! a tofu blocK!!!
        BWHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH XD

that was l337!

Anyways, I read up on the physics engine in GT3 that they used and read about what the engineers had to say about it. Supposedly from a physics perspective a car can no more drift than a bumblebee can fly. It's an unexplainable phenomenon from a purely mathematical perspective.

This is so true that the engineers who see drifting take place in GT3 call it, "the miracle."

Purdy cool stuff. We know how to make it come about but there are way too many variables in a drift to really put it into a formula or what not. Friction, frequencies in vibration running through the chassis, flex, the various torsional rigidities of various components effected during the drift (bushings, axles, chassis, tires, wheels), the temperature of the rubber, the traction coefficient of the tires, the angle of each piece during the drift from initiation to sustainment to completion or transition, numerous other factors like the amount of power transferred by the engine and the variances in mechanical efficiency, yadda yadda yadda. you get the idea.

From a purely mathematical/scientific perspective drifting is purely an anomaly. However, knowing "how" to do it, is enough. It just takes a good understanding of how a car behaves to given inputs with the components you're using and how they react to the largest of influential factors such as the power put to the wheels in relation to the ground's ability to retain the energy you empty onto it, angle of steering, where the weight is going......

yeaaaa....I'm a big *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*ing nerd and probably a few things I said could be argued to death. Just don't think too hard. It tends to give you headaches, even if you are brainy enough to understand most of it.

Comment

lol, a maricle.

Nah, it's simple. A rwd system is simply unstable. Think of it this way. The rear tires are always trying to get in front of the front tires. In simple terms take your pencile and stand it straight up on the tip of your finger. Now think of your finger as the front tires and the drag they create from rolling. Now all the weight of the pencile is the force applied by the rear tires. The rear end(the eraser side of the pensicle up in the air) always wants to pass the front end(the tip resting on your finger). This is drifting in a simplistic form. In real life you control the forces front and rear through throttle, braking, and steering. This is also why a fwd car is hard to drift. Fwds can be thought of as you dangling the pencile by the eraser with your thumb and index finger. The front end pulls down while the rear end drags along. Now this doesn't mean you can't drift, you just can't continously drift.

The GT3 guys are a bunch fo idiots, lol, j/k. I so wanted GT4 to come out on PC

Haha, bumble bees. Actually, I saw a program on PBS about bumble bees and how they can actually fly. Flight dynamics we think of when we explain air planes doesn't work. It's more along the lines of us swimming. If we blow out all of our air, we'll sink. However, if we swim, we can move about and even push ourselves up. This is what bumble bees do, swim. Air to them is like water to use, very dense in relation to weight. Sorry to ruin the "magic" lol.

Comment

<--bigger geek than you, lol

a damn sexy one too

Comment

Originally posted by Drift For Food
              <--bigger geek than you, lol

a damn sexy one too
              hahahah. np dood. I was thinking from a purely mathematical perspective...like, what formula would you try to use to calculate exact figures on how drifting works? lol That was more my point. I understand the concept fine.

I ar teh ooglay driftAr. long live the "lonely driver" LOL j/k. WAAAY too much initial-D stuff floating around this forum. lol

Comment

Actually showing it in physical terms would be somewhat complicated. In the simplest form, you have the car with a center of mass somewhere around the middle of the car and up at a certain height. This will vary from car to car. Then you have the 4 tires. They have contact with the road at a height of zero. You can create a certain range of forces with the tires. Rolling force is almost zero. You can change this through throttle and braking. The primary force the tires apply are the sideways forces, the directions they don't roll. Through these 4 tire points and their interaction on the car body will create what the car does. You can manipulate the direction of the tire forces through your actions. The result is the car accelerating or braking in various directions and mass rotation can be introduced as well. Steering initiates a rotation of the car. Feint does this as well.

Hmm, I'm not sure where I'm going with this, lol. I guess it depends what you specifically want to know. What parts? What amount of detail? I'd draw something for you if it were as easy to draw a pic in my post as it would on a piece of paper.

Comment

Get Reckless In A Controlled Ma-nore While Steering.

Comment

Working...
                  X