Tips for my stock S14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

losing momentum in drift

If you use a 3500 lb car like I do, ebrake and that car will drift forever, especially if you are going 100 mph when you initiate. But it ticks me off that the judges say they will take off points for ebraking. I would like someone to tell me why, especially since it is the best way to drift a heavy car with a long wheel base through a narrow course with a hairpin turn, and considering the car is drifting faster with the ebrake on than lighter cars with it off. It looks just as, if not more, spectacular than trying to trail brake. So, could someone please tell me why there is this rule out there to punish people who use the ebrake, even if they use it with spectacular style? I have tried and tried to trail brake, change bias, tire size, etc., and nothing works like the ebrake.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleDrifter View Post
      If you use a 3500 lb car like I do, ebrake and that car will drift forever, especially if you are going 100 mph when you initiate. But it ticks me off that the judges say they will take off points for ebraking. I would like someone to tell me why, especially since it is the best way to drift a heavy car with a long wheel base through a narrow course with a hairpin turn, and considering the car is drifting faster with the ebrake on than lighter cars with it off. It looks just as, if not more, spectacular than trying to trail brake. So, could someone please tell me why there is this rule out there to punish people who use the ebrake, even if they use it with spectacular style? I have tried and tried to trail brake, change bias, tire size, etc., and nothing works like the ebrake.

I think maybe you are confused about what ebrake deductions are. Depending on where you are driving and who is judging you? Ebrake initiations are a no no at most comps. Unless the course layout requires it and the judges ask for it I would assume you will get points deductions for it pretty much anywhere. I know I would deduct for it. Its 2007 there are much more exciting ways to iniate the drift and keep your speed up. Now if you are already drifting and coming from a higher speed corner into a slower speed section and you are using the ebrake to slow down in drift? If thats the case there are ways of using the ebrake without being so noticable and if you use it wisely you wont get deductions from very many judges. Are you clutch in and ebrake locking the rears for a long time? If so then its obvious you are on the ebrake and that is what is getting you deductions. Try not clutching in and not locking the ebrake for long slides but more of a pumping action. Everyone with power and speed uses the ebrake to correct and slow down at some point but deductions usually arent given because you cant tell they are using the ebrake from outstide the car.

Comment

Working...
      X