Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeThinker
    replied
    Yea, there's no easy way to avoid the situation I guess, and I'll just leave it at that.

As for Ueo.... I was thinking the same thing. The guy is amazing and it would be interesting to see how he would approach RA, even though he still doesn't have the straight line speed. Ken Maeda though.... there's a different story, but I guess there's not much comparison.
    Last edited by FreeThinker; 03-10-2012, 04:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tony speed
    replied
    this could go on forever...the bottom line is the course layout. this will happen EVERY year at road atlanta. It happened last year. I happened this year. the course layout favours high-powered cars. what i'd really love to see is ueo compete in formula d...to see how he would fare.
    Last edited by tony speed; 05-17-2005, 09:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MrRiceRocket
    replied
    Originally posted by FreeThinker

If you guys want to see drifting broken into classes and heavily regulated, then keep bitching about it when there never was an issue anyway.

-Sean
    I don't want to see classes.....but it would have been 'fairer' (for lack of a better term) if the 'judging' started at the top of the hill.

Had the judging started at the top of the hill....and sam pulled away like he did, so be it, I'd have 0 problems with that. Taka would have to get a faster car to play with the big boys than. Sam is a great driver, and the entries speeds were high, I get it. I just don't think it's right that they entered the 'judging area' at 2 obviously different times.

Leave a comment:

• FreeThinker
    replied
    Charles, I dont think you're reading what I typed, oe maybe didn;t understand it.

When Sam went sgainst Rhys they had no problem, both have big power, but use huge entry speed because they have big grip and they enter very early, they can rock the big grip because they have big power. It's one big package. How is Sam supposed to pull off that jaw-dropping entry if he's coming in at a measly 50mph??

Simple, he can't, it would require a bunch of e-brake and then throttle-over and it would be lame compared to the D1 style entry he was doing.'

The only option there is is to let Taka go first, while Sam waits, then then takes off flooring it, and attaining his proper entry speed and passing Taka, then going into the judged part of the course. Are you going to be the one to coordinate that one?? It requires knowing the accelration of each car, a timing system, a set of bracket racing style lights etc etc ad infinitum.

Face it, the cars have a huge performance difference in both HP and grip and it's just harder to judge, plus the course did not favor the Corolla. Bottom line, the judges ruled correctly even it it was the third time.

If you guys want to see drifting broken into classes and heavily regulated, then keep bitching about it when there never was an issue anyway.
    Last edited by FreeThinker; 03-10-2012, 04:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MrRiceRocket
    replied
    Originally posted by dreamdrivedrift
    That's a good point and it was probably due to track layout. But do you mean the cars still start at the top of the hill going full out, or is it a rolling start kind of scenario. If the sam lets taka catch up on the straight and accelerates at the same rate as taka does, his line is naturally going to be different from his regular line, which is higher speed, causing Sam to take a different line. You may argue that FD drivers should be able to take any line they must, but it is still a handicap to sam, whereas taka can drive to his full advantage. in order of sam to practice this, he needs to practice at the entry speed that taka's car permits, which MAY lead to a regulation of entry speeds to keep competitors competitive with any car.

just a little theory there
    All I am saying is that when 2 cars 'ENTER' a judged area, one should NOT have an inherent advantage over the other. Whether this is done by having a rolling start or by moving the starting line further up the hill....It doesn't matter. The point is, 'ONLY THE JUDGED AREA COUNTS' and they shouldn't already be 5 cars ahead by the time they reach that point.

Charles

Leave a comment:

• dreamdrivedrift
    replied
    Originally posted by MrRiceRocket
    Consider this:

Where did judging start? Bottom of the hill. Anything before the start point, isn't considered....so why was sam so far ahead? You don't see drag races where one car is at the light and the other is at the 1/8th mile marker, do you?

There is an easy solution to this. Start judging at the start of the hill. If it started there, and Taka couldn't keep up....than that is his problem, but by starting at the bottom of the hill, I feel BOTH drivers should be in close proximity at that point.

Charles
    That's a good point and it was probably due to track layout. But do you mean the cars still start at the top of the hill going full out, or is it a rolling start kind of scenario. If the sam lets taka catch up on the straight and accelerates at the same rate as taka does, his line is naturally going to be different from his regular line, which is higher speed, causing Sam to take a different line. You may argue that FD drivers should be able to take any line they must, but it is still a handicap to sam, whereas taka can drive to his full advantage. in order of sam to practice this, he needs to practice at the entry speed that taka's car permits, which MAY lead to a regulation of entry speeds to keep competitors competitive with any car.

just a little theory there

Leave a comment:

• MrRiceRocket
    replied
    Originally posted by FreeThinker
    Something I forgot to add:

Just consider that when you try to bag Sam for him running away from taka on entry.
    Consider this:

Where did judging start? Bottom of the hill. Anything before the start point, isn't considered....so why was sam so far ahead? You don't see drag races where one car is at the light and the other is at the 1/8th mile marker, do you?

There is an easy solution to this. Start judging at the start of the hill. If it started there, and Taka couldn't keep up....than that is his problem, but by starting at the bottom of the hill, I feel BOTH drivers should be in close proximity at that point.

Charles

Leave a comment:

• FreeThinker
    replied
    Something I forgot to add:

I personally didn't think that Sam should have outran Taka so badly approaching the first turn, but after thinking about it, the way Sam and Rhys practiced and even Tony Schulz a bit, was extremely high speed, goin-big entries. If Sam had outgunned Taka, only to hit the brakes, and then turn in and drift, that would be one thing, but notice that he was using all of that speed just to execute his high speed entry, and the judges are always looking for high speed entry. Sam and Rhys really reminded me of the Japanese D1 drivers' styles at D1 USA vs Japan in california. I think that a lot of the FD guys are finally going D1 style, especially, Sam, Rhys, Chris and Calvin, plus of course Tony Schulz (he's always been pretty rad on those entries).

Just consider that when you try to bag Sam for him running away from taka on entry.

Leave a comment:

• Brendan Walker
    replied
    Originally posted by motdyn_s14
    Sorry professor, I did not see your run so I could not say.

No biggy bro - i'll see you soon - keep up the good driving!

Leave a comment:

• my 1 88 u
    replied
    This is what I saw when I was there and the same after viewing the video.
    Taka leads: Taka grips first turn, Sam corrects in the horseshoe and in turn 4.
    Sam leads: Sam pulls ahead on straight and allows Taka to close some distance, Taka grips first turn again.
    Goes to sudden death were Taka out drives Sam In my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Hubert Young
    replied
    Originally posted by Brendan Walker
    Suprised you didn't include me too Hubert since we had talked about it. In case you're curious, the ranking was:

17) Matt Vass
    18) Ross Petty
    19) Hubert Young
    20) Brendan Walker aka Dr. Drift

Talk later.
    Sorry professor, I did not see your run so I could not say.

Leave a comment:

• kineticdb8r
    replied
    Originally posted by motdyn_s14
    Yup, no love for me and Ross Petty!!!
    you said it

Leave a comment:

• Brendan Walker
    replied
    Originally posted by MATT BACK VASS
    so close yet so far!! darnit!! i will be in there next time!~!!!
    Tell me about it Matt - i'm certainly feeling you in this case.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Peters
    replied
    Originally posted by INFO
    >Rhys def tony angelo
    >Bubba drift (mike peterson) def rob fleming
    >Sam hubinette def ben schwartz
    >Kenji yamanaka def jr gitten
    >Dai def alex pheiffer
    >Taka def chris forsbeg
    >Calvin wan def rob fleming
    >Gushi def seigo yamamoto

Peters, and poor rob got beat by 2 people in the top 16

Leave a comment:

• MATT BACK VASS
    replied
    Originally posted by Brendan Walker
    Suprised you didn't include me too Hubert since we had talked about it. In case you're curious, the ranking was:

17) Matt Vass
    18) Ross Petty
    19) Hubert Young
    20) Brendan Walker aka Dr. Drift

Talk later.

so close yet so far!! darnit!! i will be in there next time!~!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X