ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vaughn Gittin Jr. gives motor problems the backhand and runs away with 2nd place!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaughn Gittin Jr. gives motor problems the backhand and runs away with 2nd place!

Vaughn Gittin Jr. gives motor problems the backhand and runs away with 2nd place!

MONROE, Washington – In the midst of all his excitement, Vaughn Gittin Jr. was under immense pressure for Formula Drift Round Four at Evergreen Speedway. Taking into account the motor issues that JR and his team had been tackling the past couple of events, JR wanted to start with a clean slate and get back in the game.

Falken Tire and Streetwise decided to have Hasslegren of Northern California build the Mustang a new motor that would be able to hold strong under JR’s heavy foot. JR describes, “It’s a 4.6 liter V8 that was stroked to a 5-liter. It has individual throttle bodies, custom cams, a dry sump oil system and it puts out about 650 horsepower and 550 pounds of torque to the wheel – and the engine screams to 8,500 rpms.”

Not only was Friday a practice day for JR, but also a test day for the new motor. The team had the Mustang dialed in nicely and JR was “really starting to gain back some confidence in the car” as he stated. He qualified Saturday in 10th place – not as high as he would have liked, but good enough for him to see some tandem action.

The first battle JR took on in the Top 16 was against Casper Canul. The first run was a solid and fast battle between the competitors. However in the second run with JR leading, he noticed that Casper was extremely low in the bank. “I just kept my foot to the floor and held a high line,” said JR. Casper tried to catch up as they transitioned from the bank to the infield, but no luck – he spun out.

In the Great Eight, JR was matched up against his “rival”, Samuel Hubenette. JR said, “I was so excited to battle Sam again after I beat him at Long Beach”. After a tight first battle, the judges called for the notorious “One More Time”. In the first run of the “OMT”, Sam led as JR kept the Mustang glued to the Charger. In the infield, Sam over-rotated and spun – hitting the Mustang. Inevitably, the advantage went to JR, 8-0.

Read full press release here...
Working...
X