Formula D Safety Regulations and Licensing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formula D Safety Regulations and Licensing

We're about to begin an R32 build in conjunction with Sun Line Racing (builders of Kamimoto's Zips S15) and R-Y-O (Make an Wake of Art) which Kiyoshi Kawabata will be piloting in D1 USA next season. We're also interested in possibly campaigning in Formula D.

We had a look at Formula D's website and didn't find any specific safety regulations or much licensing information. The R32 is being built to conform to D1 regulations so will this be enough to pass Formula D scruteneering? If someone has a list or a link to this information it would be greatly appreciated.

Kawabata already has a D1 license but our schedule won't allow for attendance of the licensing round is Nevada for Formula D. Will they grant a provisional license based on a drivers ''merit'' or would we have to attend the licensing round?

A big thanks ahead of time for the help.

Your best bet is to check the 'forms' link on their site:

http://formulad.com/generalforms.php

or you can contact them directly at:

tech@formulad.com

or

Formula Drift
    200 Pine Avenue, Suite 615
    Long Beach, CA 90802
    562-901-2600 [p]
    562-901-2651 [f]

Good luck!!1

Comment

There's just a few things diferent from FDs scrutiny and D1s. A few really really small things, I've never seen a D1 spec car that couldn't meet FD specs or vise versa.

As far as licensing goes there is no doubt in my mind that he will be licensed... I dont know if this is still a FD rule but a D1 licence use to be just as good and a FD licence. Even though me personally I dont have a clue who this guy is, unless Masato Kawabata goes by a diferent name... I do know if he has a D1 licence he must be good and safe driver.

So yea, good luck and cant wait to see you guys in action.

on a side note... there's a lot of well deserved drivers who are licensed with both D1 and FD in the states that can really excel with the right team/sponsorship so if things dont work out with him it might be smart to find a driver who is already here in the states and already knows the system.

Comment

Thanks for the help. The form section is exactly what we were looking for I just couldn't manage to find it myself.

Kawabata is a very well known and accomplished driver (D1SL, MSC, J-Cup, BM, etc.) here in Japan and a member of Crazy Night. Driving Sports is his tuning shop and we will be opening an office in the US in '08 as well and distributing for RYO, G-Corporation, Okuyama, NK Company, etc..

I am considering driving the R32 at a couple rounds of Formula D/Nopi Drift while Kawabata is back in Japan and unavailable but again the question of licensing (and time) come back up.

With that being said we will be looking for an up-and-coming US driver to pilot our C33 Laurel during the 2009 season.

Again, thanks for the help.

Comment

Basically:
          - don't cut the firewall
          - full dash
          - full cage with dual door bars and an X bar
          - nothing crazy

there are a lot of very specific rules related to the cage, diameter, size of plates, etc. Pay very close attention to that. There's also very strict rules on the helmet, driving suit, etc. FD has been very strict on these rules this year (for the best).

If you have any questions, Randy is the best guy to talk to.

Comment

The roll cage is the biggest difference in the rule book. Most aftermarket roll cages sold in japan do not meet the minimum requirements for FD. Its best to custom make the cage but be sure the use the right thickness tubing.
            BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

and count the bends in the bars for example the pillar tubes are only allowed 2 bends check SCCA.COM rules and build it to the IT CAR specs that will get you in also seat belts are a big deal this year

Comment

Originally posted by Driving Sports View Post
                We're about to begin an R32 build in conjunction with Sun Line Racing (builders of Kamimoto's Zips S15) and R-Y-O (Make an Wake of Art) which Kiyoshi Kawabata will be piloting in D1 USA next season. We're also interested in possibly campaigning in Formula D.

We had a look at Formula D's website and didn't find any specific safety regulations or much licensing information. The R32 is being built to conform to D1 regulations so will this be enough to pass Formula D scruteneering? If someone has a list or a link to this information it would be greatly appreciated.

Kawabata already has a D1 license but our schedule won't allow for attendance of the licensing round is Nevada for Formula D. Will they grant a provisional license based on a drivers ''merit'' or would we have to attend the licensing round?

A big thanks ahead of time for the help.

conspire/brian is correct with all the contact info but please also CC me (jim@formulad.com) on your correspondences

thanks!

Comment

what is the ruling on lexan windshields( 3/16th in), are they legal?

Comment

Working...
                  X