No announcement yet.

NEW D1GP JUDGE - Adam Andretti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ali, you know I always got love for you man. It was not a personal attack on you, I would never do that. I remember us both working our asses off to make events happen and I know we both love our dear sport so much. I will take your word for it that things have changed at D1 but C. Goto is still there....and the knife is still in my back. That will never go away.

But enough about the past... I am glad to see that you are there and with that being said I have given D1 a little more credibility in my heart. I wish you success and I hope it doesn't come at the expense of others. FD is a great series and I also wish them much success in the future.

I do think you would be a more qualified judge than most and there are definitely others that I would chose over a big name. But that is just my opinion. You know I always got one of those!

I am still in China, currently driving for Wave Race / Team Toyo China. I am competing in the Asian Pacific Drift Open - there are events in Shanghai, Shenzhen, Malaysia, S. Korea, Chengdu... I am also doing several demos for Cooper tires and Toyo tires this year. In addition to that I am an instructor for the only Government approved Drift Academy in China. Any drifter seeking a professional license in China must graduate from this academy. I think it is my most rewarding job here in China.

Take care my brother and I do indeed wish you personally the best luck and much success in 2009.

Comment

Yeah I know it wasn't a personal attack, everyone knows the score. But the times change! It ain't ever been like this.

Congratulations on the China gig, you really scored on that one, I don't think too many people could or would have picked up the way you did and gone to China of all places. Not to mention gone there and been as successful. Good job.

I wish you could be here in May to see what D1 USA should have been like all along. I'm sure there will be a DVD

PM me your email address.

Comment

Thanks man! It was a crazy thing for me to just pick up and leave.. but I don't regret it a single day. I get to drive a lot here and I am doing well. I love life here and I would recomend to anybody who is daring enough to come out here for a week and let me show you around! I am real curious to see how the Anaheim event turns out. If there is a DVD you need to send me a copy!

Comment

Unser didn't work, Hogan didn't work, why not try Andretti?

After it's management meltdown and subsequent disappearance from the sport last year, you would think D1GP, even if they are different guys, would be doing everything they could to engender confidence. Instead, they begin with a stunt, and not even a particularly good stunt.
          Cooper tires wooed Robby Unser attempting to grab some of the Unser lore (unsuccessfully) and Formula Drift made a big play for Nick Hogan, trying to ride what remaining glimmer of fame might still be attached to the Hulk's fading career. So Hogan ends up in jail and a major embarrassment to the entire sport, and Robby Unser's last name didn't have enough juice to attract a sponsor, even at this level. Now D1GP lands an "Andretti", and a d-list Andretti at that.
          So what's it going to be... Drifting: the last stop on the road to celebrity oblivion, or legitimate sport that establishes its own stars and puts them out front? Hey D1, maybe there are a couple of 80's era playmates willing to interrupt their promising mud-wrestling careers to come and judge
          Enough of the stunts!

Comment

all i can say is, if there is good drifting action going on, then im there. one judge isn't gonna change the fact that you get to see amazing drifting from nomuken, team orange, daigo saito and whoever else makes it. if this was just a demo and not a competition, you know you would still go. so forget the problems of the past, forget the andretti's, forget the 100+ driver's search that your not gonna enter and let's go watch some drifting!

Comment

Agreed re the playmates and they are probably closer to my age than yours, but my point is that the drifting has to be the main event. My problem with NOPI was that there events always seemed to be a bikini contest, and a mud wrestling pit with some cars sliding past somewhere in the background. I understand about the need to create a show, but at this level, those elements should not actually compete with or detract from the main event.
              To bring Adam Andretti to this sport, not just as a promotional element, making an appearance, or signing autographs for one of the sponsors in the paddock, but actually participating by judging some of the best drifters in the world, though he has no connection with the sport is to me, an insult to the competitors and a transparent and cynical attempt by D1GP to usurp some value from Adam's last name.
              Drifting is exciting, thrilling to watch and well worth the cost of admission. I don't think adding Adam Andretti to the mix enhances that experience for a single person who will be in attendance, but his participation as a judge certainly calls into question the credibility of the competition as a whole. And that is very bad for the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Mediaman View Post
                Agreed re the playmates and they are probably closer to my age than yours, but my point is that the drifting has to be the main event. My problem with NOPI was that there events always seemed to be a bikini contest, and a mud wrestling pit with some cars sliding past somewhere in the background. I understand about the need to create a show, but at this level, those elements should not actually compete with or detract from the main event.
                To bring Adam Andretti to this sport, not just as a promotional element, making an appearance, or signing autographs for one of the sponsors in the paddock, but actually participating by judging some of the best drifters in the world, though he has no connection with the sport is to me, an insult to the competitors and a transparent and cynical attempt by D1GP to usurp some value from Adam's last name.
                Drifting is exciting, thrilling to watch and well worth the cost of admission. I don't think adding Adam Andretti to the mix enhances that experience for a single person who will be in attendance, but his participation as a judge certainly calls into question the credibility of the competition as a whole. And that is very bad for the sport.
                Couldn't have said it any better

Comment

I haven't read all of this but I heard on the news here in Indy that Marco is wanting to give a shot at D1. All I would like to see is the best advance and let's wait to see how the first event goes and take it from there. I have respect for these names coming into the game and I am sure if D1 is picking them they must have some sort of credibility. Let see and everyone rock and roll in 2009. See you guys in Chicago, I think some new talent will be brought out this year.

Comment

You guys really have the wrong mindset here. I've gone to almost every major drift event in California since the first time Irwindale had the D1 guys here, and almost every single event, I usually have at least 1 major disagreement with a call made by the judges. And yet I keep coming back, you know why? I'm not there for the judging, and in the long run I'm not even all that worried who wins the event, I'm there to watch some amazing driving and to have a good time.

And there is something I think Andretti can bring to judging that I think has been lost over the years. Over the years, the judging has gotten jaded and in many ways clinical in a way that really kills some of the excitement. Having a fresh set of eyes on the track, uneducated in the sport, can be more honest as to what looks more exciting. I think we gained some of this back with the FD World Championship, and who knows, maybe this'll be just the right push to get it back here. The best I can say is just give it a chance.

As many of you have said, drifting is seriously about fun, so why not just go there and enjoy yourselves, instead of being upset about something you have no control over right?

Comment

Working...
                    X