ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RedBull Drifting World Championship?!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AndyFD View Post
    Weather....helllo???
    I thought FD events were rain or shine?

And Seattle proves that local fans will come out regardless of the weather.

I think weather will add a new element to USA drifting that we haven't seen much of yet. As long as it isn't snow, I say game on!

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
      As long as it isn't snow, I say game on!
      Hey, I circuit-crossed in snow (NASA Mid-Atlantic thing where you basically do a flying lap, my first autocross, too)!

I say rain, sleet, snow, it's part of the show.

**EDIT**
      Pretty much what I saw on my first ever autocross, let alone ever time being on VIR's Patriot Course.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Justin Banner; 12-14-2010, 08:05 PM.

Comment

That's ballsy

Snow and ice scares me to death

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
          That's ballsy

Snow and ice scares me to death
          What can I say, I'm that kind of driver.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeySlide View Post
            Whats the point of holding a huge event in middle America if the media wont come out to give love to the participants?. I do disagree with you on the venues though. I think there are more than a few top notch tracks in those places to hold such an event but the catch is I'm not sure how spectator friendly they are.
            Just a thought, at many of the tracks the nascar guys run at there are road courses. I took a look at Charlotte(lowes) speedway and there's plenty of avail seating, no spectator obstructions, it's right next to a major highway, and obviously parking/pitting is no issue.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by killer406 View Post
              Just a thought, at many of the tracks the nascar guys run at there are road courses. I took a look at Charlotte(lowes) speedway and there's plenty of avail seating, no spectator obstructions, it's right next to a major highway, and obviously parking/pitting is no issue.
              I never understood why more events aren't in big oval in-field road courses. They'll set up a cone course in the parkinglot before they let drifters inside.
              Last edited by my 1 88 u; 12-15-2010, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u View Post
                I never understood why more events aren't in big oval in-field road courses. They'll set up a cone course in the parkinglot before they let drifters inside.

Could be similar to a story I heard about a drag strip and the NHRA near me. Representitive from the NHRA inspected the track, the asked "Why is there so many tire marks and large black lines in the parking lot?"

The manager replied, "Well, some drivers do burnouts when they win."

Rep., "Why would they do that? It makes the parking lot look trashy!" THUS, the parking lot had to be repaved and repainted before the NHRA certified them. The road that is inside LMS is where the RVs go for the drivers, fans, and the "big wigs," so I'm sure they have to look pretty to make sure they impress.

Comment

^ Street wise has held a few drift events on that very infield. Those were just pro am events too. I don't think they would have a problem with holding a major drift event. It was alot of fun when I drove on it.

Comment

Lowes Motor Speedway in Charlotte is an awesome venue. We test there every year now in the off season.

With the motorsport community around here, and the surprising interest in drifting and Formula D we see on a regular basis from the NASCAR fans / drivers / vendors etc, I think a full scale Pro event at Lowes would be huge.

Especially if was scheduled on an off weekend for the NASCAR roundy round guys. Imagine how many motorsport people you could expose to drifting?
                    Not just drivers and teams, but all the businesses who are in this town that are here because of motorsport. Think of the potential exposure to the motorsport marketing companies and potential future partners that could gain interest in helping to promote and grow drifting once they saw the crowd reaction first hand...

This whole town revolves around motorsport. That would have to be good for drifting in many ways.

Comment

I'd come up from Atlanta for a big event. I could get my Durham NC crew that I can't get to come down for Road Atlanta to come to Charlotte.

Comment

ASD is making a lot of sense. I'd love a good reason to go up to N.C. My experience in Atlanta is that Nascar fans eat up drifting.

Comment

Working...
                        X