• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THANX dude.

Comment

I'm with Nissanguy on this one.

Comment

thanks for the backup. Im just going off what i know from experience.. im by no means the best at any of it. But im very proud of the fact i have been able to drift it recently using foot braking with out touching the handbrake.

Comment

yeah what he said

Comment

hey crazy hawaiian does your camaro have an auto or a manual?

Comment

i mostly use e brake then power over.... i tried out the scandanavian flick and that scared the shiot out of me cus it went sideways waaay faster then i expected.... foot brake, hmm how hard do u brake....

Comment

Originally posted by S13_Steve
                ... i tried out the scandanavian flick and that scared the shiot out of me cus it went sideways waaay faster then i expected.... foot brake, hmm how hard do u brake....
                wtf is a scandinavian flick? oh and you tap the brakes just enough to shift the weight forward.

Comment

Isnt the scandanavian flick like the feint flick?

Comment

yeah i think it is. i think it's kind of like feint, you just brake and then shift the weight at a high speed to get the tail out and then you control the skid with the throttle. i'm not sure though, i've never tried it.

Comment

Scandinavian flick is a feint drift. It is a term used a lot in rally racing and is just like the feint.

Comment

Yeah, Scandinavian flick is feint. This was brought up in another post somewhere. I'm not sure about the braking part though. You don't have to brake in order to feint, and I'm not sure if the Scandinavian flick is meant to be both together, feint and braking that is.

e-brake...hmm, there's something I've never used...stupid foot ones, lol. Feint and braking methods where my first.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, on to your main question:

The auto should be fine for learning the basics. The only thing you can't control is the gear shifting. It's good because you don't have to think about it, but it's bad cause you can't control when it shifts...for the most part.

It might be nice to start with an auto just so you're not playing with the shifting while you're learning techniques. This makes things less complicated, less busy.

The only downside is the lack of some control. You aren't able to control when it shifts. If it shifts at an improper time, you may have a problem. For example, if you brake into a corner and the rear end slides out, you give it gas. Now with an Automatic, you have a small lag time when it kicks down to a lower gear. You have to compesate for that, or expect it at least. Second, you don't control when it shifts back up. For example, say it automatically shifts from first to second at 45mph at max throttle, at lower speed if throttle is less. If you get above 45mph at mid corner when you're on throttle, it'll shift up in the middle of your slide and you may lose your slide. Also if you let off the gas a little bit, it may upshift as well.

Now you can work around these "flaws" by just controlling what gears it can go into. With an automatic, you have a choice of D, 2, and 1 usually and O on some cars, drive, second, first, and overdrive respectively. If you don't want the car to shift up to second, just put it in 1. Then it can only stay in first. You can even put it in 1 before you slow down. The transmission won't shift down till it hits that magic 45mph mark, so don't worry. Just realize that it will kick down when you get slow enough so expect it. It's almost like shift lock in a way; you just can't control when it happens. Then you're set. It wills stay in first through the corner reguardless. Then just put it back to D at the exit. You can do the same with 2. 2 just makes the tranny only shift in first and second, if that suits the particular corner. You do have a little control but it still won't give you the full freedom of a manual.

Also as a note, 45mph is just a generic shift point, what my Lesabre shifted at. Your car may shift at 40mph, 35mph, or 50mph.

Basically, learn when it shifts and how it shifts. Once you get used to it, you should be able to counter any downfalls ahead of time or take advantage of certain benifits.

Long enough? lol

Comment

s13 steve is king of the automatic drift, u should see him in action lol, (steve u know what im talkin bout ahahah). but if u do have any automatic ?'s talk to him.

Comment

Haha we should have a auto drift contest in southern california.

Comment

muahah in a couple of weeks ill get me some falkens and bushings.....then ur all screwed...till then my car is on lock down .....

Comment

im going to try to get some video of me drifting the auto. have any of your self steve?

Comment

Working...
                                X