ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Drifting heading the wrong direction?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STFUAD
    replied
    Geez...

I started this thread almost 7 months ago... I'm sorry that I did. If I get banned for locking this thread, so be it.

If you drive, just drive, **** the rest. Let people talk of their trends. Are you the sheep or the wolf? I'm done.

edit: Oh well, I lost the ability to lock threads. Do what you will.

Leave a comment:

• Nihon jin desu
    replied
    "SPINITSIDEWAYZyou make yourself look like the american you are trying to diss... oh but you are.. and yeah your forum name really clears you from being confused as american..."

I might be wrong but I cant be japanese cause I live in america is pretty dumb....I am japanese but I have lived her since I was very young!!!*Censored**Censored**Censored* hole *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* bag

Leave a comment:

• Ris4drift
    replied
    Originally posted by GranMastrDrift
    the gto had its rear suspension redone. and the viper cant run anymore cause its a tube chassis car.

care to elaborate on your misconception?

Leave a comment:

• zero.counter
    replied
    Drifting was gone once it hit american shores...

Leave a comment:

• spinitsidewayz!
    replied
    so going to japan makes you not trendy? this thread is stupid... as long as there are more events and more helpful ppl (people who dont give a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* about trends positively/negatively) then its good. thats all we really need. more places to practice and get better. and less people who care too much about what other people are doing. how do you know the american drifters arnt having fun or respect? and how is japan automatically so cool and america so bad? i guess the grass is really greener on the other side... huh nihongo boy? im in no way disrespecting the japanese. i love japanese culture. but you yourself are just so ignorant. "omg i went to japan 6 years ago.. and ive been into drifting... japan is so cool... " so does this means you are japanese? just listen to yourself. you make yourself look like the american you are trying to diss... oh but you are.. and yeah your forum name really clears you from being confused as american...

Leave a comment:

• NismoSigma
    replied
    I bet that could be put in the bible, if only people understood it. I think what your trying to say Is that america is goin into wrong direction BECAUSE we are american. Interesting concept.

Leave a comment:

• Nihon jin desu
    replied
    yea its heading the wrong way and fast

I started getting into drifting about 6 years ago when I went to japan for my first time with my dad. I got alot of car mags and some car vids. ever since I went there I have been hooked on old school rides like the s13 ae86 etc....O AND DID I MENTION DRIFTING! Ive went back several times since and dont miss the chance to see some real drift evens while i am there.
    I also have seen some of the drift scene here in the U.S
    It is not a love or a fun time for the america drifters.
    they have no real respect for the sport and should stick to nascar or whatever they do....
    hopefully i will live in japan someday and wont have to deal with the americans and there trendy *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* *Censored**Censored**Censored*!!!!

Leave a comment:

• GranMastrDrift
    replied
    You gotta look at all the pro d1 cars. they are super light weigh with higher hp numbers. when americans get a hold of something, the want to put their american rides into it to compete. But you look at a lot of the american cars they all had to be moded to even drift right, the gto had its rear suspension redone. and the viper cant run anymore cause its a tube chassis car.

Leave a comment:

• Yeap
    replied
    This is a ridiculous thread.

Leave a comment:

• my 1 88 u
    replied
    Originally posted by Octagon
    I would like to comment on the "NASCAR is pure grip" statement as someone who's driven high-powered oval track cars.

If you've ever watched a real oval race, at a track like Rockingham, Bristol, Martinsville, or Darlington, you'll see that there are two preferred setups and they - believe or not - are intensely regional in their origin.

With NASCAR drivers whose roots are southern - and thus primarily lower level stock car (Earnhardt Jr., Elliot Sadler, Jeff Burton) - you see setups that are centered around getting the front end to bite on the track and hug the inside of the corner. Usually you'll see a lot of movement at the front end along with radical negative camber on the left front. The idea is to allow the natural weight shift of the car to increase front and tail end grip so that the car accelerates cleanly out of the corner and brakes cleanly into the corner. The catch, though, is that this wears out brakes and front tires quickly, resulting in severe understeer and a car that moves up the race track in the center of the corner.

Now, move to the other end of the country where drivers are raised in open wheel cars like sprints, midgets, and modifieds, and you see a wholly different setup and style of driving. Northern drivers (like Jeff Gordon, Ryan Newman, Tony Stewart, and Kasey Kahne) set their car up very stiff with more aggressive positive camber on the right front. The idea being get the car over-rotated in the center of the corner and power out of it, balancing on the right rear (which is generally staggered to be bigger than the left rear by about an inch or two of circumference).

What this leads to is deft trailbraking into the corner, followed by over-rotating the car at the center (or apex if you prefer) then sliding the car off the center balancing it on the right rear (oversteering, in otherwords).

The idea is that by letting the car break loose at its limit at center of the corner and relying on the driver's ability to balance the car through limited wheelspin and a controlled slide instead of working within the limits of the front tires and scrubbing off speed, you maintain more momentum and can go faster. However, it requires more skill, especially as the race wears on and the rear tires wear down, making controlling the slide off the corner more and more difficult.

Hmm, a controlled slide induced by braking at the apex of the corner and then balanced power on oversteer off the corner. Sounds a helluva lot like drifting to me.
    how dare you make nascar seem moderately intersting for a breif second while I read your post.
    Last edited by my 1 88 u; 12-10-2004, 08:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rb20
    replied
    america should be proud i reckon it creates a new style specific to region im not really a 240sx fan but it is twice as hard for me to get a ka24de down here as it is for you guys to get a sr20det up there it makes you guys unique just because some people drift big vipers doesnt mean you cant have a booming ae86 drift scene, in new zealand we cant even get vipers off a yard not that i like them at all . i suppose what im trying to get at is that you have somehing unique which will evolve and once the attention dies down people will see your drift scene for what it really is and not just think of ricey stuff but more go than show imports .

Leave a comment:

• Octagon
    replied
    I would like to comment on the "NASCAR is pure grip" statement as someone who's driven high-powered oval track cars.

If you've ever watched a real oval race, at a track like Rockingham, Bristol, Martinsville, or Darlington, you'll see that there are two preferred setups and they - believe or not - are intensely regional in their origin.

With NASCAR drivers whose roots are southern - and thus primarily lower level stock car (Earnhardt Jr., Elliot Sadler, Jeff Burton) - you see setups that are centered around getting the front end to bite on the track and hug the inside of the corner. Usually you'll see a lot of movement at the front end along with radical negative camber on the left front. The idea is to allow the natural weight shift of the car to increase front and tail end grip so that the car accelerates cleanly out of the corner and brakes cleanly into the corner. The catch, though, is that this wears out brakes and front tires quickly, resulting in severe understeer and a car that moves up the race track in the center of the corner.

Now, move to the other end of the country where drivers are raised in open wheel cars like sprints, midgets, and modifieds, and you see a wholly different setup and style of driving. Northern drivers (like Jeff Gordon, Ryan Newman, Tony Stewart, and Kasey Kahne) set their car up very stiff with more aggressive positive camber on the right front. The idea being get the car over-rotated in the center of the corner and power out of it, balancing on the right rear (which is generally staggered to be bigger than the left rear by about an inch or two of circumference).

What this leads to is deft trailbraking into the corner, followed by over-rotating the car at the center (or apex if you prefer) then sliding the car off the center balancing it on the right rear (oversteering, in otherwords).

The idea is that by letting the car break loose at its limit at center of the corner and relying on the driver's ability to balance the car through limited wheelspin and a controlled slide instead of working within the limits of the front tires and scrubbing off speed, you maintain more momentum and can go faster. However, it requires more skill, especially as the race wears on and the rear tires wear down, making controlling the slide off the corner more and more difficult.

Hmm, a controlled slide induced by braking at the apex of the corner and then balanced power on oversteer off the corner. Sounds a helluva lot like drifting to me.

Leave a comment:

• phantasm
    replied
    I am not sure it is going the wrong way....but it sure as heck has a LOOOOONG wat to go! ALL US drifting I have seen has been laughable. Last summer we were in the US and there was a drift event in Charlotte, NC. It was absolutely disgusting! Then I recently saw the drift program on Discovery Channel's Rides. What a joke.

If not the wrong direction.....just a good ways down the road.

Leave a comment:

• madmax13
    replied
    I really think a good example for the coming out of a movement is the inital explosion of punk rock, or skateboarding. They got big, everyone was running around signing everyone to some type of contract. Then someone did something to alienate the mainstream. The Music went underground, so supporting your local "scene" became more important then getting that big contract. However, the best of the best broke through, and gained national recognition. Most people cannot name 5 professional skaters, but all can name Tony Hawk. Most People cannot name 5 old hardcore punk bands, but they will all know the Dead Kennedys or Black Flag. It simply the time to let the scenes devolop the drifter's talent, like it did in japan. Competing against your friends is the best competititon on could have.

Leave a comment:

• Ghost of Duluth
    replied
    Jesus, this piece of crap is still going?

Drifting is going in the right direction with a few exceptions. If you don't like it, don't do it. All the pros are starting to get some long time coming recognition and some big sponsers.

So let this thread die. Die monster Die.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X