ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What cars are Good and affordable for drifting???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zombiesk1
    replied
    Is the s13 WHICH ONE is it the Nissan Silvia s13 or Nissan 240sx s13

Leave a comment:

• Ghost of Duluth
    replied
    I would have to agree. S13/S14. In my opinion the 14 is a much better chassis to learn on, more easily controlled and less prone to understeer especially with low power. Big aftermarket and good availability make it the best choice for beginners. FC's are a good choice too but the only drawback there is the rotary and the lack of people that can work on them. Go with the flow man, thats the best way to learn. If everyone is doing an s13/s14 then there is a reason for it.

Make it as cheap as possible, get the car, a few cheap suspension mods and take it to an autocross event. You are not just jump into the car and become DrifterX so get that right out of your head. Learn the basics first then move up. Thats the way everyone else that is good did it and thats the way you will have to as well. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• HasNoTiresLeft
    replied
    Tell ya what come to louisiana and ill give you a s13 for like half of what your spending! Haha jk... But seriously.

Leave a comment:

• Buddyworm
    replied
    S13. Cheap, easy to work on, easy to maintain. Huge aftermarket support and a well looked after stock engine will take beating after beating. It's also a forgiving car stock, it's not grip-happy like an FC tends to be nor is it spin-happy like the short wheelbase Miata.

Get one with a clean frame and solid engine. Do a full coilover suspension, bucket seat and then LSD. Add seat time, wash, rinse and repeat, repeat repeat and repeat again until tire smoke smells better than waking up to bacon and eggs on a Sunday morning. Don't touch anything beyond suspension or drivetrain components until the engine is holding you back. THEN go turbo.

B-Wurm
    Last edited by Buddyworm; 04-10-2006, 01:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ash_32
    replied
    if it helps i started drifting in a R32 skyline (unfortuently i believe you cant get them in the us) then the other week at a praccy day here in australia i jumped in a S13 for the very 1st time, and absolutely loved it, so ive gone and sold my skyline and bought a C33 laurel which is the same chassis as a silvia but has a RB20DET (soon to be replaced with a SR20DET) for the engine, should be an interesting build and ill post pics as soon as i get my arse into gear, just coming into winter though so not sure if ill do much

Leave a comment:

• djnarush
    replied
    bish please, buy a tacoma :P

Leave a comment:

• Hachi-roku04
    replied
    buy a car that your not afraid to beat the $#!T out of. s13, 86, mkII supra ect.
    stay away from cars that are hard to find parts for. you will learn faster if you are not afraid to bang up ur car a little. i had a mkII p type and just bashed it around pure stock. you dont need power, all you need is time and practice.

Leave a comment:

• Drift For Food
    replied
    BenR's got the right idea.

New to drifting = cheap *Censored**Censored**Censored* car to beat on. Think $500 rather than 12k. Think expendable. You crash, you don't care.

Start learning driving skills if you have none. Work on basic control skills. Work on grip and slowly bring yourself up to the grip limit. Know where it is and how it changes with user input. Learn some basic physics concepts. Know what's actually going on. Get a good understanding of concepts like weight transfer and traction circles. Know why a car does something and know methods to manipulate the car's behavior. Learn the drift techniques, what they are and how they work. Practice. Then practice some more. This process of learning the car and understanding techniques will probably take months, especially if you're new to the concept of actually driving your car fast.

Also, there are a lot of good articles on this forum explaining techniques, what they are and how they work. Use the Search feature and do some reading.

Leave a comment:

• coyote
    replied
    forget what everyoneelse is telling you, you need to buy a honda, any kind. have you heard of FWD drifting ?? the shizznits

Leave a comment:

• brainfood
    replied
    I agree s13/14 or fc. I have people that dont drift drive my car and tell me how easy it is to drive sideways. My Manager borrowed my car when I had his truck to move and he gave it back with a big old grin on his face and couldnt believe how controlled it was when it was sideways. Its a great chassis and about the cheapest reliable drift car you can find. I have 200k on my car and I beat on it all day long at events usually twice a month and have had no serious problems. Def. great for the money.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Peters
    replied
    Originally posted by HoosierDrifter
    i kinda wish i built somthin different... s13's are everywhere..

theres a reason for that. same reason people run used ls1 4th gens in FS in solo, Mini Cooper S in GS, and 89 Civic Si's in STS. its cheap, and it freaking works.

too many people try to be different when theres a reason everyone else goes for the cheap adn easy way. it works.

Leave a comment:

• 8kred
    replied
    Originally posted by BenR
    As with any kind of motorsport you NEED to realize that you should never fall in love with the car and must be able to walk away from it at any time. If you are not willing to push your car off a cliff repeatedly then don't use it for more than a daily driver.
    same theory goes for women.........

Leave a comment:

• HoosierDrifter
    replied
    i kinda wish i built somthin different... s13's are everywhere..

Leave a comment:

• Mike Peters
    replied
    s13 all the way

Leave a comment:

• BenR
    replied
    As with any kind of motorsport you NEED to realize that you should never fall in love with the car and must be able to walk away from it at any time. If you are not willing to push your car off a cliff repeatedly then don't use it for more than a daily driver.

Figure out what you can afford, and what you can afford to fix.

I reccomend learning how to grip before you drift. Autocross, lapping days, karting, roadracing. There is alot of lessons and skills you pickup grip racing, and it usually is far cheaper, especially since you break far fewer things. To drift properly you must be on the edge, and if you don't know where that edge is it will usually bite you when it finds you.

I also reccomend starting with a car that is already setup correctly. This will take alot of frustration out of the learning curve, as you can focus just on your driving. If you feel you must build your own car then buy something that there is already an established market for drift specific parts.

Cars I reccomend for a first drift car.

S13
    miata
    AE86
    RX7 FC
    BMW 325is
    Volvo 240 with either turbo or 351 swap

Of course anything can drift. If you really want to learn don't buy a flashy car just to be cool, buy something you can really learn in untill you are at a point where a flashy car isn't wasted on you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X