Can Automatic Drift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Automatic Drift?

ok a friend of mine asked me to ask people if an automatic 240 can drift? he has a modded one and wants to drift it. can you please help him?

an auto 240? Anything can drift if it's RWD, hell my 87 Caprice with a missing 2nd gear and cracked radiator can drift on dry ground. He can go with the handbrake, as well as go about it using a feint drift (you know, going to the outside edge of a corner then pulling back into the center before you hit the apex, if I'm not mistaken).

Comment

I drift in my mustang all the time, its a 3.8 v6 auto, but like his also it has some power mods to help out. Its going to be harder though considering we wont be able to push a clutch down and again power and release it. Best thing IMO, if he cant afford 5spd swap, get some light weight wheels, "OK" name brand tires, good suspension, which I need also, and little things first. If I dont end up finishing putting my 03-04 cobra blower on my v6, Ill probably turbo it so I can spool up some power.

Comment

tnx

ok ill tell him that. he does have some power mods but nothing high end.

Comment

Yes you can drift and auto. But a manual transmission opens up an entire new world of possibilities. Plus drifting an auto isn't as "fulfilling"

Comment

yea i know right i love drifting a manual but i friend doesn't have the funds to drop in a manual right now.

Originally posted by K!NCH[FC3S] View Post
            Yes you can drift and auto. But a manual transmission opens up an entire new world of possibilities. Plus drifting an auto isn't as "fulfilling"

Comment

Yes you could, but you lose the full drift effectiveness from using a manual. For one you loose the techniques that used the clutch and for autos your revs aren't free they're controlled which usually the auto tends to shift on low revs, but i guess some people with auto trans get over that problem. In the end i guess its up to the person what they prefer, but again you don't get the full effect you have with a manual

Comment

To reiterate what everyone else stated, yes it's possible, but not easy nor recommended. Not only is there the problem of lack of gear and clutch control, but theirs also a power problem.

The problem is that they gear up the rear end on auto's which, in the end gives them less torque. I'm not positive what the purpouse of it is, but it's pretty standard. Cars like V8's and even V6's and I6's have enough power to make up for the difference, even though it's still not as easy, but I4's it's just not that easy.

Comment

Originally posted by eomund240 View Post
                  The problem is that they gear up the rear end on auto's which, in the end gives them less torque. I'm not positive what the purpouse of it is, but it's pretty standard. Cars like V8's and even V6's and I6's have enough power to make up for the difference, even though it's still not as easy, but I4's it's just not that easy.
                  That's because manual transmissions typically have an extra gear than their automatic counterparts. The manufacturers assumption is likely that, if you bought an automatic transmission, you're more concerned with driveability than performance. A 4 speed automatic with freeway flyer 2.73's in the rear is more comfortable for daily driving than a 5 speed with 3.70's.

Comment

I figured someone would post te reason. I just never cared to look up the reason, especially since I've never owned and have no intention of owning an auto. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
                    X