4AGE in 82-85 Celica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4AGE in 82-85 Celica

Whats up everybody, I am building one of my 4AGE motors that I have laying around, and want to know your opinion on putting it into my 85 Celica coupe. Regardless of what some people think, I have done my research and will be going through with the swap. Also, if anybody else has done it, please let me know what they think.

Danny

Seems like a good idea, but do 3s-gte motors fit in a old celica? The 4age is a good motor and ive seen a lot of celicas with it, but not many with a 3s-gte

Comment

seen 4ag's in celica's?
      I thought the 85 celica comes with a 22r? The 22r is a 2.4L motor with lots of torque. The 4ag has no torque. And the celica is heavier then the corolla the 4ag came in. I'd suggest stick to modding the 22r but it seems your going to go for it anyway. Let us know how it comes out.
      BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

Im with Alex on this one. Use your stock engine. or if aftermarket support is an issue perhaps a larger more popular toyota engine. one of the inline 6s or something that would not be possible in a 86 with out much modification and effecting the weight distribution badly.

Unfortionately my knowledge of toyota engines is pretty limited so i wont say too much more on this subject. Except if you do want to go with the 4age you may want to look into the supercharged varient.. suposively its not a easy thing to do, putting one in a RWD car i mean, but it would deffenately help with power in your heavier celica.

Comment

Well I have been doing some research on this subject for about the past 3 months. And from what I have seen I will be going for it. And the weight issue with a Celica will not be a problem because there is not that big a difference in weight between the AE86 and Celica. The Celica came with the 4AGE motor in Japan stock, as well as the 3TGTE motor and with the 3TGTE motor being super rare, and access to parts will be extremely limited, I decided to go the 4AGE route. Besides, if it worked in Japan, what my car so different. If you want, check out some of these sites that have the Celica GTR with the 4AGE in Japan

http://www.midoriga-oka.com/celica9.htm
          http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~gtr/celica.html
          http://www.amy.hi-ho.ne.jp/sentaroh/

Let me know what you guys think. Later

Danny

Comment

I know this thread is a little old, but I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Not the same engine, but I'm thinking of a 3T-GTE. Have you made any progress on your celica? Toysport seems to know a lot about old school toyotas, they've stuffed even a 2JZ in 3rd gen celica. They also have a 3rd gen with a 3T engine it. They're located in LA i think. Here's their website http://www.toysport.com/index.htm

Comment

Toysport thinks I should not put it in, but they give alot of people a hard time when you ask them something car related, and just a don't care attitude. But I am in the process of building the motor for it, and already have the engine out of the car. But I will keep eveybody who is interested in the swap posted.

Comment

I'm deffinetly interested I guess toysport gets too many e-mails. But none the less if you got the engine like you say why not? Will you be posting your progress somewhere?

Comment

I am in the process of making a website right now, and will have all the details of the swap, as well as all the details on my other cars, and will be showing pics of the whole process of all my cars to. But untill then, I can keep whoever is interested posted on my updates. Right now it is taking a little longer than planned, cause of others things that come first, but this is car that I will be taking my time on, so I can get evrything done properly. But I will keep you posted. Later

Comment

Yeah, stick to the 22R. I have an '80 Celica and im stickin to the R series motor since its easier to deal with instead of swapping in a motor that would require having to do some fabrication to get it to fit. You can build up your 22R, they make lots and lots of aftermarket parts for your motor. They even have both a supercharger and turbo kit for the 22R's. Check out www.LCengineering.comwww.LCengineering.com . As for me, im definately thinkin of building up a turbo 22R and converting to EFI at the same time. Also if your Celica is a GTS, then it has IRS and you can swap over a Supra LSD rear end.

Comment

I was thinking to keep the 22RE as well, but when I really thought about it even with it's low toqrue band, it is after all just a truck engine made for a car. It's best suited for rock climing and cirlce tracks, not so much for the reving up and down of drifting. Plus the 4AGE would give better handling since I'm sure it weighs a bit less and has a smaller height, don't know if it's shorter or not, but it could be a possibility.

For anyone who might not know already:
                      3rd gen Celicas aren't really that heavy, they weigh about as much as a civic, but beings that the Celica is RWD and equiped with a larger engine it weighs considerablly less in the respecs. It's actually one of the lighter RWD cars, it's about 400lbs lighter than a 240sx. And the 3rd gen Celicas were only available with the 20R, 22R, and 22R-Es in the US, in Japan they used very different engines like the 18RG, the 2TG, and the 3TG and from what I see it was also available with a 4AGE in the GT model from 83-85, so there doesn't seem anything wrong with 78toys idea.

here's a website with some info on what was available in the celicas http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/P...Celica_A6.html

edit: BTW is your 4AGE one of the 20v models?
                      Last edited by SigmaProjects; 06-16-2004, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X