ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advanced Suspension Setup; (Toe? Camber? Spring Rates?) Learn here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mranlet
    replied
    Mr. Anlet approved :thumbup:

Lowering springs like arospeed and knock off crap will lower the car but won't improve performance. if a low-slung look is important to you, a spring that has an increased rate like H&R or something would help, and unless you want to drive around with blown shocks then you'll need to swap them out for something tougher.

Even good entry-level aftermarket shocks don't like to be lowered all that much more than 1 to 2 inches. This is because all of the forces that occur when the car goes over bumps are now compressed into a much shorter motion since the suspension stroke is closer to bottoming out at neutral than it was from the factory. If you have KYB AGXs or some kind of adjustable dampening suspension (Tockico and Koni also make good inexpensive shocks) you will need to increase the dampening as the ride height is lowered.

Unless it is some sort of emergency, don't try to use a oem shock with a stiffer spring - when I took apart my CRX's suspension for the first time since buying it, I was amazed at how horrable the shocks were operating. An owner a few exchanges ago had installed some fairly decent springs front and rear but had used the stock dampening units - when I compressed the removed shock by hand, it simply stayed there...

Something else to note is that different suspension geometries have different limitations. Honda double wishbone suspensions can be lowered farther than macphearson strut types before adverse effects start to mess things up. Lighter cars (especially with lightened unsprung weight) will also give the impression of stiffer dampening since there is less mass for the suspension to support. It is this reason that sometimes you see some hardcore grassroots'ers use truck leaf springs in the back of their muscle cars or springs from much larger and heavier cars on their smaller and lighter cars.

Excellent post.

Leave a comment:

• Simon Danhoff
    replied
    Good article, Very informative.

Thanks,

Leave a comment:

• SaintDrift
    replied
    http://www.niagarapca.com/autocross/ax_doanddonts.html
    I always used this as a quick and brief guide.

Leave a comment:

• turbo_blitz21
    Guest replied
    See what a lot of people get wrong is that they put lowering spings on their stock shocks. Thats a big mistake. Stock shocks cant take the pressure and the way the car behaves under lowered conditions. Cutting springs is even worse because you can almost never cut the springs to a point were all four will have an even ballance and cutting them causes really bad tire wear and is deadly to the whole car suspension.

Leave a comment:

• GRiDRaceTech
    replied
    If you do get lowering springs, match them with the appropriate shocks. If you just cut the springs and leave the stock, blown shocks, I will slap you across the back of the head.

Leave a comment:

• soblade
    replied
    coilovers and lower springs

hmm, so does tha tmean it's nto that good of a idea to put lower springs...but some other good coilovers and springs that will give u better performance?

oh hmm, btw, if you JSUT put lowering springs to all 4 wheels, does it affect the previous suspension? like when it was first bought with suspension?

Leave a comment:

• turbo_blitz21
    Guest replied
    nice thread it really helped I always needed guidance with toe adjustments.

Leave a comment:

• BENJO
    replied
    i found the actual site of this information! after reading this i went on google and searched "suspension tuning" and this was the first thing that poped up

http://www.se-r.net/car_info/suspension_tuning.html

have fun

Leave a comment:

• theflatlander
    replied
    Originally posted by OH240SE
    Thanks Flatlander, that really breaks down difficult suspension setup nicely. Good post

but those are for FR setups not FF, right??
    it's for all cars in general.

Leave a comment:

• OH240SE
    replied
    Thanks Flatlander, that really breaks down difficult suspension setup nicely. Good post

but those are for FR setups not FF, right??

Leave a comment:

• Vinsanity
    replied
    this may be a dumb question, but is there any difference between 'reducing understeer' and 'increasing oversteer'?

Leave a comment:

• prodigy
    replied
    Originally posted by theflatlander
    ^sorry i thought i put that on there, guess not. The author of this is driftaholic from nopistons.com
    Haha. I wonder if that is Jacob. No, he owns three 240sx's and no sevens. Must just be a same name coincidence.

Leave a comment:

• chuaboi36
    replied
    nice article. kinda got lost a little bit though. some pretty complicated stuff for noobs like me

Leave a comment:

• phinko
    replied
    good info, bumpity bump

Leave a comment:

• ACDSupra7
    replied
    Excellent. Someone sticky this thread

Leave a comment:

Working...
X