No announcement yet.

Weight distribution for a drifting car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight distribution for a drifting car.

What is a good weight distribution do you guys think for a drifting car? 60/40, 55/45, or 50/50?

Please explain why also... I'm tryiing to think of why it would be that way.

I noticed that the MR2 heavily understeered. The S2000 did also. Considering that both of these cars are 50/50 distribution, I was just curious...

Matt.

There is no set front/rear weight distribution that makes a drift car great. It's mostly suspension setup and driver skill. Most "poor" front/rear weight distributions can be overcome with proper setup and skill in drifting situations. However, I would think it'd be a little more crucial to have a good side to side weight distribution for about the same feel while sliding either direction.

As I've said before, this is only for drift situations. For "grip" driving, 50/50 is the absolute best weight distribution to have... at least for passenger-car-based vehicles. That said, if the suspension is improperly set up, the best distribution in the world can't make the car fast. Distribution coupled with a properly tuned suspension and good driver yields the fastest time; any one of the three by itself does not.

The stock MR2 and stock S2000 understeer because they are tuned to do so from the factory. Whether it is spring rates, shock rates, or anti-roll bars, they understeer because for a regular driver, it's safer that way.
    Last edited by GRiDRaceTech; 06-23-2004, 06:56 PM.

Comment

try to get as close to 50/50 as possible

Comment

Originally posted by Brothaman240
        try to get as close to 50/50 as possible
        I heard it was the opposite.. You don't want 50/50 weight distribution from what I hear...

Well, whatever... I'm not going to weight down my car. I'll settle for suspension tuing...

Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by Craftsman
          I heard it was the opposite.. You don't want 50/50 weight distribution from what I hear...

Well, whatever... I'm not going to weight down my car. I'll settle for suspension tuing...

Matt.
          240s are near 50/50 and I bieleve that is one of the reasons that are good for drift. Of course suspension tunning is important, but just look how bad the integra did at the atl drift event, the 60/40 weight distro was a problem

Comment

Originally posted by Brothaman240
            240s are near 50/50 and I bieleve that is one of the reasons that are good for drift. Of course suspension tunning is important, but just look how bad the integra did at the atl drift event, the 60/40 weight distro was a problem

umm i think the 60/40 weight dist. on the integra was the least of its problems....

Comment

Well, I'm no pro or anything, but I think 50/50 is the best distribution you could have. One of the things I notice about modifying my car for drifting that balance makes everything better. This includes a combination of things like weight balance, suspension balance, steering balance, etc. If a car had good weight distribution but the wrong suspension tuning or the wrong tire selection then it will be hard to drift. Remember, its a combination of things. I doubt having a 51/49 would majorly screw you up or something, but its a lot better than something like 58/42. I would consider 50/50 the goal. I think the guys with the better balanced cars are able to hold the drifts longer at a crazier angle.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
                Well, I'm no pro or anything, but I think 50/50 is the best distribution you could have. One of the things I notice about modifying my car for drifting that balance makes everything better. This includes a combination of things like weight balance, suspension balance, steering balance, etc. If a car had good weight distribution but the wrong suspension tuning or the wrong tire selection then it will be hard to drift. Remember, its a combination of things. I doubt having a 51/49 would majorly screw you up or something, but its a lot better than something like 58/42. I would consider 50/50 the goal. I think the guys with the better balanced cars are able to hold the drifts longer at a crazier angle.
                Hey, I'll e-mail Rhys about his weight distribution... I'll see what he thinks.

I know he did alot of R&D on his GTO before he got it hooked up to where it is now.

I doubt he'll respond to my small fries butt, but hey it's worth a try right?

Matt.

Comment

actually you dont want 50/50 weight distrobution because the car's general direction is forward. so when the car starts moving forward, the weight distrobution becomes biased to the rear of the car.

so you want a little more weight in the front. something like 55/45 is nice.

about the comment of the car being weighted evenly on either side, thats not of too much concern. the main concern is just lightening up the car as much as possible and then making the adjustments with suspension from there.

Comment

55/45 static may be a bit too much... depends on how much squat the suspension allows. Under braking, the car's rear would get pretty light, allowing easy brake-initiated drifting along with good front end grip. (provided the amount of weight transferred does not overload the front tires)

I'd like to see a chart of D1 drifters' front-rear distributions and side-side distributions... it'd really allow us to gain some insight.

Comment

Working...
                    X