Nitrous on a KA24DE for extended times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitrous on a KA24DE for extended times

I was wondering if anybody has used nitrous for drifting or road racing on a KA24DE(or any motor really).

This would of course only about a 35-50hp shot, but can a KA24DE handle many 15-20 minute road course sessions on the bottle?

This would be less of a boost than most turbos provide, but nitrous combustion happens at a lot higher temperature.
    Also, depending on the setup, it would likely only be spraying at 75% throttle.

If it is possible, for drifting it may be more desirable to have a setup where it sprays at 25% or more throttle so it is more manageable, but that would lead to more spray time instead of just hard acceleration.

I am not really interested in nitrous for drag racing, just any possible applications in extended use without ruining the engine quickly.

What are some thoughts on this topic?
    Last edited by kclo4; 08-08-2004, 03:57 PM.

Wouldn't work. The bottle isn't meant for extended use and would likely run out quite quickly. You could get maybe two runs on a medium-sized course out of it. That's assuming the engine doesn't just blow a piston into little bite-sized pieces.

Comment

I guess I am just trying to figure out the difference between 35hp added from forced induction, or 35hp added from nitrous as far as engine internals are concerned.

To make 35 more hp, you are burning the same amount of extra oxygen and fuel in either setup right? It seems without actually making the engine more efficient(do more work with the same fuel and oxygen), that is all you are doing.

Comment

depends on the condition of the motor. you might blow head gaskets or rings if the motor's old or a pretty common thing to blow on hard driven KA's are the connecting rods.

If you're talking low volume injections, I think it'd be able to handle it given that you're dumping more fuel to compensate for the leaner condition that would be introduced with the N2O. You don't necessarily get a balance with N2O dumped in your motor. If your system doesn't dump more fuel into the cylinders to compensate for the increased concentration of oxygen in there, you'll blow up your motor or cause serious damage, even with low volumes of the stuff at extended periods of time. Make sure your N2O system retards the timing and also dumps more fuel when the gas is injected into the mix to be safe.

Comment

google this, I don't know enough about it to give you answers with total confidence so I'm not going to.

180fan is talking about a dry kit, there's also wet kits that inject fuel as well as nitrous instead of relying on the existing fuel system to add the extra fuel.

This probalby isn't the best use of your money for your style of driving/racing.

Google it.

Oh, and if you throw a rod out of your KA with a properly set up 35 shot (even over realitively extended use), give up on Nissan motors.
          Last edited by Parry; 08-09-2004, 10:14 AM.

Comment

well I was under the impression that the KA doesn't really make a good candidate for wet shots mainly because of the flow characteristics of the intake system. Don't most wet systems dump the N2O before the throttle body? I know cylinder 1 and 4 don't get as much air flow as cylinders 2 and 3 on most 4 cylinder motors so wouldn't the extra N2O concentrations be a bad idea? Only other thing I could think of was a direct shot but that gets pretty expensive real quick and it'd probably not be worth the cost for just a 35 shot. Dry is what I more commonly see for more conservative shots on 4 cylinder motors in general hence my assumption.

The blurb about the connecting rods was just a throw in bit of info that might be of some concern for kclo4. Most KA's are pretty high mileage now and need some good ol' TLC before getting something as stress inducing as N2O or a turbo added to it. Not saying you can't do it, but just saying don't be surprised when something does happen.

Comment

both wet and dry add the nitrous before the throttle body.

dry adds fuel through the car's existing fuel injection system, while I wet system injects fuel as well as nitrous into the intake.

The third option is what you memtioned above...direct injection, where you have a nitrous and fuel injector for each individual cylender. It's effective, but somewhat costly. I wouldn't bother if you're only looking for 35 more horses out of the thing.

If you bounce the rev limiter a lot, nitrous might not be the best idea. Repeatedly hitting it can load the motor with unburnt nitrous and/or fuel, which can be really fun.

Lorin knows all about this *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*, unfortunately for you.

Comment

I ran a 65 shot on my Ka for about 6 months, now im spraying the 75 with no problems. Look on turbo240.com One guy tested to see how much the stock block would take. It took a 250 wet shot to blow a 175k motor.

Comment

Hello a wet system should have the foggers near the port for optimum resulst,trying to use NOS for extended periods of time is not recomended due to the fact that when it begins to spray there is a signifigant spike in combustion chamber temp, this is why it should only be used in short burst or in a drag race seting.Due to the sudden increase in chamber temp is the reason why you burn holes in pistons,melt/deformed valve heads.The only way for something like what you speek of to work is if its a time based progresive set up with a time controller,and even then in a road race seting thats not recomended,because remember in road racing and drifting the engine is allready operating at a med to high temp levle and then if you spike it for long periods of time I see nothing but trouble,the only way to try and combat the chamber heat is to have the domes,valve heads,and the combustion chamber coated,use a high quality forged piston,SS valves and you might want to reduce static compresion a touch ,so basically you would need the motorbuilt properly to handle NOS. I would be willing to bet that if you put an extended shot of NOS on an old *Censored**Censored**Censored* KA either the cast piston will shatter or a valve head will get burnt/deformed and not seal,or the ring lands will become distorted and the rings will not seal.Hope this explains NOS a little better for you,and helps you in your decision,PEACE

Comment

I was thinking about a 50 wet shot or even a 75 for use in drifting... no way you could use it for road racing and I wanted to use it as a scramble setting where I didnt spray the whole time it was WOT just on demand with a button. That way I could spray to get speed from the start where the ka lacks it and then a little extra power for tighter drifts on certain courses. I have seen a 70 shot run reliably drag racing on a stock ka. The motor as long as it is in good shape should be fine as long as you watch your temps and a/f if its tuned correctly NOS is not as dangerous as people would have you believe and the ka is a beast anyway.

Comment

You need three big bottles.

Comment

Hello,no its not dangerous at all if used correctly,it sometimes get a bad rap because some folk get a bit carried away with it.Its just like the sauce ,its good in moderation LOL

Comment

Originally posted by UNITEDMASTER
                          Hello,no its not dangerous at all if used correctly,it sometimes get a bad rap because some folk get a bit carried away with it.Its just like the sauce ,its good in moderation LOL
                          Good in moderation yes sometimes better when abused

Comment

Yeh nitrous is my only chemical addiction.... when im messin around with all my V8 Buddys i gotta spray to keep up with them. It get to where your like... well if it takes a 65 then a 75 wont hurt... then a 85 wont... then a 100 then 125.. you get the idea. Try not to get greedy.

Comment

Working...
                            X