This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moderation NOTICE (STAY ON TOPIC)

I was originally going to post this in the DD16 thread.. but i desided instead of clutter it further i will post this here. After i feel every one has takne a look at it i will move it to moderation..

Originally posted by Weapon X
    Hey guys, enough of the going off on your private conversations. You jacked my thread.
    This is realy in response to what Chris said in the DP thread, about how he only went off topic because everyone said everything, and it wasnt closed.

LISTEN UP....

If you have nothing on topic to say THEN DONT SAY ANYTHING. I get home and i look at my control panel to see all the threads.. I am sick of seeing one or two guys having replied to everything, and NONE OF IT, is on topic. I AM NOT pleased about this. The fact you guys continued after i said it should in the DP thread so much so that Cordes had to intervien, AND THEN i check this thread and see cordes told you to nock it off here too only for you to reply again. Yeah sure it was on topic, but basicly it was a post just for the sake of posting. I am not pleased about this. I will, along with the other moderators will be cracking down in this off topic stuff. If you have a seperate opinion or something then start a new thread.

If you just want to chat with your buddies offtopic then PM them or use a messanging program. Normally we dont bother to much with the ocasional off topic post or comment HOWEVER it has been abused so bad that we have whole threads.. great threads, with great opinions and discussion about the sport or whatever turn into a 2 man conversation about whatever happens to suit your fancy at the time. I will also be cracking down on one word or basicly piss ant post. It is not difficult to keep your mouth shut until you have something to add. If you agree with someone, feel free to use that keyboard in front of you and a free hand to type out that you agree with them, and perhaps why. You know A CONVERSATION about the thread's topic.

I dont know if any offical warnings have been sent out yet, but consider this a general warning. I dont want to have to come down like this but its gone to far.

Think of the professional drifters on the site, do you really want them to see you as a bunch of kids who whine and babble on, or as serious drifting enthusiest, drifters, or just general fans. On a forum like this, only your words show what kind of person you are. so please choose them correctly.

We are all guilty of the off topic stuff, or whatnot. I did it even the other day.. (well it was kindof on topic but a joke) however we need to end it now. Shall we? Lets clean it up gentlemen then we can hopefully relax this rule again.
    Last edited by nissanguy_24; 05-24-2004, 10:39 AM.

dude look i dont know what to tell you. i just stated the fact that i hope to see them at a future event and was trying to get things back on topic after i "single handedly" turned it into sum form of chat room. excuse me for seeing that i messed up. and why does it matter that i have an opinion about what someone else said in a post before mine and i want to show my opinion? is it really that bad that i have something to say about a little bit of everything? arent these boards about interacting with others and showing differences of opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisfromda909
      dude look i odnt know what to tell you. i just stated the fact tyhat i hope to see them at a future event and was trying to get things back on topic after i "single handedly" turned it into sum form of chat room. excuse me for seeing that i messed up. and why does it matter that i have an opinion about what someone else said in a post before mine and i want to show my opinion? is it really that bad that i have something to say about a little bit of everything?
      Its called taking it easy.. holding your tounge and posting only when you have a real opinion and something to say. Like i said you guys have been abusing it so we are going to have to crack down.

An Example of good post. Your post in the Christian Rado thread are fine.
      Last edited by nissanguy_24; 05-23-2004, 06:04 PM.

Comment

well i only post about stuff that can be said in the chatroom cuz there is never anybody in the chat room. so i find this to be my only outlet on drifting. so... sorry. i guess ill try to not post such crap on the boards. im done in this thread unless someone says something directly to me that requires a response.
        Last edited by ; 05-23-2004, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisfromda909
          well i only post about stuff that can be said in the chatroom cuz there is never anybody in the chat room. so i find this to be my only outlet ioon drifting. so... sorry. i guess ill try to not post such crap on the boards. im done in this thread unless someone says something directly to me that requires a response.
          thank you

Comment

Come on people listen to smc on this one, topics are starting to get a bit out of hand, i know i'm guilty of this every so often as well but if you want to talk about a topic that's not in the thread, simply start a new thread, just keep it drifting related and legal and it should be cool. i think we all need to try and work on this for the reason that has been stated a thousand times before this is where the new people come first when they search for drifting. I know mods seem rough at times, but it's like complaining to a cop who gives you a ticket, you know you're speeding, so you have no room to complain, he's just doing his job, excuses like everyone's going 90, or everyone's off topic don't work, because they for whatever reason decided to pull you over, or moderate you. don't like it? then maybe drifting.com isn't the forum for you

Comment

Originally posted by HX-50
              Come on people listen to smc on this one, topics are starting to get a bit out of hand, i know i'm guilty of this every so often as well but if you want to talk about a topic that's not in the thread, simply start a new thread, just keep it drifting related and legal and it should be cool. i think we all need to try and work on this for the reason that has been stated a thousand times before this is where the new people come first when they search for drifting. I know mods seem rough at times, but it's like complaining to a cop who gives you a ticket, you know you're speeding, so you have no room to complain, he's just doing his job, excuses like everyone's going 90, or everyone's off topic don't work, because they for whatever reason decided to pull you over, or moderate you. don't like it? then maybe drifting.com isn't the forum for you
              I completely agree with the mods on this. I have seen many good boards die because people can't stick to one topic, the threads start looking more like a chat room than a message board. There is AIM and Yahoo chat that you can talk to your buddies on. Once in a while isn't bad, but sticking to a topic isn't that hard. Unless you wear a helmet and take the short bus to school, it's easy to accomplish.

Comment

I just want to start off saying that I respect the moderators and understand why this enforcement has been put into place.

However, how militant does everybody need to be? It has gotten to the point now where I feel like I can't joke around or add in any side comments for fear that either an admin will step in and make me change it or that someone will get honked off that I've "jacked the thread" or "changed the topic". This makes me frustrated!

When there is a conversation in real life, when does it stay to one topic and one topic only? Do real conversations not expand to include other subjects in addition to the origional? Would they not be boring if everyone talked about ONE thing? Why not just close the threads once a good answer has been posted? If we're not going to add side comments and peripherral topics then what is the point of keeping topics open?

I make a conscious effort to stay on topic, especially when I try and add in other things to the discussion and being told that I've gone too far off or that the comments aren't relevant. This is not just about me, but other people as well. Nobody is going to want to post if they feel like they have to clear everything with a mod first.

My main point is that if enforcement of this policy becomes too militant and restricting to free speech, then the board will suffer and members will start to leave.

Thanks for taking the time to read this rant - It means a lot to me.

-MR

Comment

What i dont want in the threads is this.

Poster1 My car is broke blah blah blah also drifing blah blalh blah balh. Anyone have any advice.

Poster2 You should try this

Poster 3. Poster2 hows your dog?

Poster2 My dog is great hows your aunt's dog?

Poster 4 dude dogs rock

Poster 3 my aunts dog turned into 2 dogs.

I dont mind if conversations slowly change to include other similar topics. And this thread was mainly targeted a few guys who seem to do that in every thread.

A good example of whats not wanted. Check out steve's post and the post that follows it. http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...1943#post61943
                  Last edited by nissanguy_24; 05-25-2004, 10:13 AM.

Comment

My main point is that if enforcement of this policy becomes too militant and restricting to free speech, then the board will suffer and members will start to leave.
                    I understand what you're saying completely. My main gripe is when members, mostly kids who usually post nothing of substance, implement their commentary into everything like they just have to get a say in. Going off topic during the course of the conversation is one, but there are frequent threads where members just jump in and start going off about random things here or there, totally killing the thread. They really treat it as if it's their own little chatroom.

From what I've seen, your posts offer substance and I've personally never felt otherwise. I'm not the only mod on the site but I think the others dont have any qualms with the majority of your posts. We're just trying to improve the quality of the site overall, if we appear militant with our methods it is because the forum still needs alot of work. I try my best to level with the other members and think of how they feel when I make certain decisions. You guys need to remember, long before I was a mod I was just some dood that checked the board frequently. In the early days I didnt agree with alot of the things the mods did, I always had something to say and I was never afraid to speak up against them. If you feel the same way, you should speak your feelings (but still remain civil ). The reason I became a mod is because I didnt like the way things were going, so now I'm trying to make the site better. The same goes for every other moderator on this site. We're not cops, nazis, the Spetsnaz, any of that. Most of us are members who have been here quite a while and have expressed an interest in helping out the site. Sorry this post was so long, if I think of anything else I forgot to mention I'll post it later.

Comment

ill have to agree with the mods on this. i dont understand y it is so hard to stay on the specific topic. thats great that u kids/ppl have things to say. if u want to talk nonsense....my AIM sn is SHES THE IDIOT. i can talk all the nonsense all the nonsense u want to talk....just keep it off the forum. i am sure i am guilty of this in the past but i would like to see this forum clear of nonsense and talking about what is supposed to be talked about. that happens to be drifting. not about ppl day, how their aunts dog is or even my dog. so lets start thinking about out how or posts relate to the topic. if it doesnt relate....dont post. it takes up space and bandwidth that could be used for things that actually do have some meaning. thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X