No announcement yet.

Formula D, (FEEDBACK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting reply Formula D, I’ve spoken to you guys on the phone and in person at the event and you seemed to understand where a lot of these people are coming from with their concerns at that time. I understand that Formula D was attacked on this thread but I wasn’t expecting an indifferent reply from you guys. I understand that Formula D was a success for you both in turn out and profit. I also understand that there is nothing wrong with that. However, let me run another take on US drifting by you. We need to be more like NASCAR. There, I said it. No, I DO NOT like NASCAR and I want to make that clear before the flaming starts. But I think that NASCAR has a balance that drifting in the US is lacking at this point. NASCAR is huge because they are more family oriented. One thing that REALLY bothered me about this event was the import model. Many were wearing next to nothing. This may be great for the 20s something guys that are the target demographic of the drift companies. However, for the goal of furthering the sport, a more family friendly environment is the only option. I saw a lot of children at the event and if it was my child I would not be bringing them to the next one. Drifting is exciting enough on its own without a sideshow. If people will watch a car make left turns for six hours they will surely watch drifting for that long. I would like to make the closing point that I AM NOT BADMOUTHING FORMULA D! This is a new sport in the US and we are all trying to find out where it fits. I’m just making suggestions about a few things that I feel need to change before drifting becomes the new Big Dog in motor sports “which I think it can very well do”.

Comment

If we could regualte every model that came to the event we would. That is just not possible. We cannot control every detail of the event down to that. People will be do things and that is part of it, however I do like a family oriented environment. Parts of this industry have been a mainstay for quite a while and we all know the association with cars and girls. I am on the same page with you however. I mean who ever thought Tarzan and Seigou would have that bad crash? Some thing you can't anticipate. Thanks for the comments though. You have my change from the 20 for parking? I gave someone some $$ for parking cuz they could not get in. Not sure if it was you LOL

Comment

Don't even get me started on the parking lol. I gave Herbert the change and sent him to find you. I'm assuming that he didn't. I'll send it off to you. I think that there are 4 things in motor sports that lead to a really good sport. Have a look at my list and I think you will agree and maybe even move to implement them.
        1. integrity- fairness in competition and sportsmanship in the competitors.
        2. family atmosphere.
        3. Spectator participation- ever been to a rally comp and see spectators walking around talking to the drivers? Rally has this down pat.
        4. Focus on the sport- that’s why we are all there isn’t it?

Comment

Im just playing. Keep the change. Parknig was *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* *Censored**Censored**Censored*. I know. They told us the day of they were charging 10 rather than 6 and we all flippe dout. Anyway to your suggestions:

1. integrity- fairness in competition and sportsmanship in the competitors.
          2. family atmosphere.
          3. Spectator participation- ever been to a rally comp and see spectators walking around talking to the drivers? Rally has this down pat.
          4. Focus on the sport- that’s why we are all there isn’t it?

I agree, I agree, I agree, I agree. On number three we have open pits as you know and encourage as much driver contact as possible.

Lets remember NASCAR has had quite the time to get their act together. We have had one year and things are moving along better then we expected from our vantage point.

Comment

congrats slipstream on stepping up to the plate and having a succesful rookie year. I look forward to participating more next year.

Ray

Comment

But Formula D, you have not proved it could be successful you proved a HIN event with drifting on the side could be successful. Drifting can be very successful on its own but we need to present it as a serious sport. No one here is saying show car guys or nascar fans cant come to a drifting event. We are saying they shouldnt be able to have there nascar or show car event at the drifting event. If they want to come see drifting then there welcome, if they came because theres a car show or what not then thats a problem, because you havent really created a new drifting fan have you?

We keep hearing over and over again what a great success this event was. Most guys i have spoken to did not enjoy them selfs at the event, these guys are mostly drifters, they are guys who like to drift. Thats the only connection they have, and they did not have a good time. How is that a successful drifting event?

Honestly just hold a car show next time, it will be very successful, then call it a successful drifting event.

Im glad you say you understand us, but you need to understand something else, we are not all purist, we are not all looking for the purest drifting event, We are drifters. We are looking for a drifting event and we do not feel that drifting needs car shows, models, DJs, jackass people (as in the show) skaters or rap to be successful, it just needs good drifting.

Your attitude makes it seem like as long as it will bring people in you will have it. Thus making a success. at what point do you stop? at what point do you no longer consider it a drifting event?

If your trying to create a 'party scene' then go right ahead, but im not interested in such a scene, im interested in drifting. I think alot of people feel the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Formula D
                . The strength of the event was drifting. That has always been our intention.

What some of you may or may not realize is that drifting has mass appeal. It is very exciting to watch.
                If it has such a mass appeal then why do you have those horrible, horrible flyers? It seems that you're only appealing to the lowest common denominator. And, no, not the lowest common of the "import scene", but rather that of society. With the combination of the 'gangsta' DJs and the stupid skaters you just about encompass any demographic any company such as Slipstrean Global could want.

Comment

looks like drifting is already turning into a rice cash cow. ill stick to my local events, the ones without hot body contests, just drifting.

Comment

I honestly enjoyed Irwindale. Hell, I flew in from Houston to watch it... I wish I had took the time to meet you. I did meet Myles from Vision though. I love that guy...

Anyways, my point - the other crap on the track has got to go... Some of the crap was pathetic... I loved the models, but some of them were seriously too skimpy. I think the security need to do dress code and *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* like that. I'm dead serious. I have pictures showing that I enjoyed being with the models, but I wouldn't even invite my 20 year old brother to a show like that...

Also, the announcer has got to go. He says some of the dumbest *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* I have ever heard. He may not badmouth anyone, but he is just plain dumb. I wonder what enticed you guys to hire him... He's not even a great speaker... He just says dumb stuff. How about getting a driver or someone with more stats and knoledge of driving to speak?

Also, Japanese driver exhibition was way too long. What was the point of that BTW? I think Tarzan is a funny guy with a funny attitude, but he's got to go... Why do we have Japanese judges BTW? Why can't we have former drivers being judges?

The extra crap like RC cars, RC planes, etc.. What was that all about? Even the boy from Jackass... What's up with paying idiots like them to showup to an event such as this? I'd rather see the drivers go home with a few more bucks rather than see some idiots do dumb stuff...

How about drift cars as the official show cars at the entrance at the minimum. Keep the entrance show cars as Drift cars. The "bling bling" cars pissed off alot of people. I was like "What the #*%@?" when I walked by the trucks... I would never drive *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* like that. EVER! Nor do I have any respect for "bling bling." Anyone can do that *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* with a little bit of money...

Ryan, overall I enjoyed FD, the ability to walk into the pits, talk and discuss stuff with the drivers, and watch the fierce battles completely outweighed the stupid stuff for me. I have no regrets paying almost a G for this weekend watching drivers duke it out.

Matt.

Comment

• I know I said I wasn't going to post on this anymore... but I have just come to the point where I just have to accept what happened and here it is...

Formula D could not afford the now "pricey" venue of Irwindale so they had to cross-promote with HIN just to be able to have enough money to run this event. Even if they had to go back on their original word, they couldn't have it at Irwindale (which they needed for big exposure, seating, etc.) unless they did this.

They may have good intentions (besides the money) for setting this up for drivers but to most of us, we just don't get it.

Their demographic is not our demographic, plain and simple. We b*tch and moan (especially me) about what is going on but really, Formula D has no choice. It's either go about it this way, or go the way of the cookoo bird because they will run out of funds and fanbase.

Bottom line is that Formula D has to pay their employees and everyone involved so literally, "no show, no go".

Between the side that shares my opinion and the side that shares Formula D's opinion, there really can be no end to this arguement. Formula D cannot be what we want because if they did, they would have to shrink down SUBSTANTIALLY to cut down costs.

I guess we just are more fans of the sport than the miscellaneous stuff that people call the "lifestyle".

I don't want to be famous, I don't want to be in magazines, I don't want to win trophies... I just want to drive and earn respect and friendship with other drivers that share my passion.

I don't watch Option video, I don't read car magazines, I don't dream of one day being at the top looking down. I once thought being in magazines and being popular was the end all be all of existence when I was in the show scene. When I got my first 2 magazine spreads, I thought I had done it, but I just felt empty. After 3 events my car was old news and that money seem wasted. I battled in shows with names like LJ Garcia and RJ Devera and I thought I was really doing it. Shows became political and I became angry and left the scene. I then moved on to this, drifting. Again, I had to deal with politics but it was my job. To be in the scene I HAD to deal with it. Again, I couldn't stand it, but I love it too much to quit. I have had anger built inside me because of this. Maybe too much of this anger was directed toward you. This world built with shattered dreams and broken promises can make a person scream out in utter dispair because of lack of power/money to do something about it.

I will end with this... Formula D, I appologize for being so damn condesending about things. The thing is, this is what you have to do to survive and I can respect that. But your show is not for me. It may not be for other people too but I can only decide for myself. They can make their own judgements. You have your fans and people that love what you do. Again, kudos for that.

No matter what happens to the scene professionally, we will still be here, the so called, "hardcore" whatever that means. Maybe we are waiting for this to die, to reach the end of the "fad" cycle. Birth->Growth->Climax->Decline->Death
                      To rebuild the sport the way the Japanese started. But then again, the "american" way is not the "japanese" way. We think we are going too fast and so do the japanese. But the "american" way is to commercialize to speed up the process. I can't knock that because most of the successes of this country came from that. That's why we are who we are and do what we do.

I just want to drive, not necessarily drift, but drive, and maybe this passion is my escape from the world of work, stress, pain, etc... To bring the "american way" into my escape hurt me personally. Unfortunately, this is how the world works, and maybe I was a little naive. Now, after teaching myself a lesson in how the world works, I understand and must move past this instead of dwelling on it because it will just make me miserable.

Thank you drivers of Formula D, D1, Drift Day, Just Drift, etc... Watching you drive makes me realize why I love driving.

And with that... I will STFUAD.

Comment

• I just wanted to say that I enjoyed FormulaD Atlanta. There was other events held there but they were mostly racing so that's cool. I loved the acces to the pits, probably the best thing (D1GP had security between the fans and the pits). My ideas for future events:

Jumbotron displaying some nice drift footage from previous events and some ads when no drifting is taking place on-track.

I'm ok with a bunch of booths and sponsors, just one thing though the more drift-realted sponsors the better.

No alcohol beverages, people can get stupid sometimes.

Music is ok, but not when drifting is going on, unless it's a demo run. Also, put different types of music on, not just hip-hop.

Make the events more informative. Instead of having DJs and what not, have people who know about drifting or just cars in general talking to the fans about drift or race-related topics. Heck you could have live driver interviews onstage so the fans get to know them.

Stop trying to be so cool. Cool stuff doesn't last long. Instead try building a more stable and loyal fanbase. Making the events more family oriented is the way to go. Usually the older race fans are the ones with MONEY so target them or atleast don't put them off by targeting the younger crowd.

That's about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by vigvoodoo

Music is ok, but not when drifting is going on, unless it's a demo run. Also, put different types of music on, not just hip-hop.
                          SUPER EUROBEAT! (Haha)

Awesome response, Mr. D, and looking back, I agree. The event was awesome, and it was a shame not everything went smoothly, but it was still an overall great experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by nissanguy_24

We keep hearing over and over again what a great success this event was. Most guys i have spoken to did not enjoy them selfs at the event, these guys are mostly drifters, they are guys who like to drift. Thats the only connection they have, and they did not have a good time. How is that a successful drifting event?
                            So try speaking to people that drove in the event.

-alex

Comment

• to: alex

hi.

end of message.

Comment

• Originally posted by mav1178
                                So try speaking to people that drove in the event.

-alex
                                Try speaking to the fans who were utterly dissapointed instead of trying to convence them how wrong they are.

Honestly guys, i really dont feel the need to keep repeating my self. You know many fans were dissapointed. If your okay with that then keep doing what you were doing. If your not okay with that then change.

The ball is in your court not mine.

Comment

Working...
                                X