All Model Corolla Differential Spools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Model Corolla Differential Spools

I'm a newbie but have I got something for you corolla drifters.

Chromoly Mini spools for 6.38" ring gear "S" third members.
    $65.00 each

O.K. "what's a mini spool?", you ask. A mini spool replaces the spider gears and side gears in the differential. It is then pinned and locks the axles. Save about 2lbs. of rotating and un-sprung weight, (reducing rotating and unsprung weight are good things). It doesn't have clutches that wear out and need adjustment. Your tires will scrub in normal street driving but how many of us drifters are normal?

Chromoly or aluminum full spools for 6.38" ring gear "S" third members or 6.75" ring gear "T" third members
    Chromoly full spool $195.00
    Aluminum full spool $225.00

O.K. "Now what's a full spool?", you ask. A full spool replaces the carrier, which the ring gear mounts to, in the differential. It also locks the axles. But the full spool saves about 5lbs. of rotating and un-sprung weight, (remember those are good things). It also doesn't have clutches that wear out and need adjustment. And yes your tires will scrub in normal street driving but again it's about the drift, right.

Installation and complete third members availible.

Diffman

E-mail lynn-marie@qwest.net

Thanks diff man!!!!

THANKS MAN! I have an 81 corolla and i have been looking for a LSD for a while now but you just changed my mind. You have a new customer!

Comment

gear ratio

I want to change my rear gear ratio since i'm gonna swap from a 4spd to a 5spd. Can you help me out with that to diffman?

Comment

What does "scrub your tires" actually mean?

Ryan

Comment

The rear axle is locked so the rear tires will srub around parking lot manuvers. Scrub and chirp a little.

Comment

Yes I can help you with the gears. What ratio is currently in the car. There are gear codes on the I.D. plate under the hood. The gear code will start with a "S" or "T" and will be followed be 3 numbers. If you had a 4 speed it may be a 3.30 or a 3.58 gear.

Diffman

With an overdrive five speed you might want a 4.10 or 3.90.

Comment

locked diffs arn't good for drifting, it will be almost as bad as a open diff.

Comment

Locked diffs arent good for drifting

VRT_driftaholic: Explain why if you know so much! Don't just say they suck and not back it up! I can't see how a locked diff would be as bad as an open diff seeing as how an open diff sends the most power to the wheel with the least traction. So if you do please tell us.

BTW my car is a track only car, so I'm not worried if the tires make noise when I go around a corner slowly or anything else related to streetability.

Diffman: I will get back to you on the gear code. Thanks
                Last edited by crusTE72corolla; 01-07-2004, 11:54 AM.

Comment

When the differential is locked with a spool the inside tire is forced to trun at the same rate as the outside or the other way around, usualy the tire with the least amount of weight will spin. This will make for a very UNCONTROLABLE car. Works great for drag racing but not for auto cross or drift. I would rather have an open diff.

"if you only go in straight lines this is no prob. and i would kind of want some turn in when drifting. you'll understeer even more with a welded diff. and s13's are already famous for their understeer so why just add to it. get lsd you wont regret it one bit."

I VLSD, KAAZ, or Tosen type would be the way to go VLSD's being the cheapest route to go, they usualy have a torque split so the power is distributed evenly depending on conditions making the car easyer to control.

Trying to learn how to drift on with the wrong equipment does nothing other then train you in bad habits that will not apply or get you into trouble when you try to drift another car.
                  Last edited by VRT_driftaholic; 01-07-2004, 12:16 PM.

Comment

lsd

The only thing is, nobody makes a bolt in lsd of any kind for the S series rear end( at least that i can find) only for the T. That would mean i would have to swap the whole axle and then put in a lsd. That would cost around $2500 all said and done. I only paid $120 for the car. Id be better off trying to find a whole GTS at that point.

I know an old SCCA roadracer who prefers a spool to a lsd because of the predictability. He knows that both wheels are going to put down the same amount of power while exiting a corner. Where as a lsd will change the aount of power delivered to each wheel making the car behave differently in the same corner each lap. He said he felt like he couldnt get into a rythem with the lsd because the car never acted the same way twice.

2 valid points. Now I must do more research!

Comment

its true that the slide may be more predictable... but wouldnt it be easier to break the rearend loose with an LSD and keep it loose with less gas?

Comment

go ahead and do it then, i will be the guy sliding AROUND you then....

Comment

I won a "H" stock championship in SCCA solo II with a locked diff in a 1970 Datsun 1200 which is under powered. I also have several corolla road race customers with spooled axles that win races and love the way they handle.

Diffman

Give me a call if you have questions

Comment

corolla 3rd member

Finally got around to the rear end, the axle code is s414 and i will be using an AE86 gts tranny. Can you give me a quote on a complete 3rd member with a full cromolly spool and 4.10 gears shiped to 77007? Thanks

Comment

Locked diff

I've drifted with a locked diff before. It will make you understeer like the dickins if you don't know what you're doing, but if you can initiate your sideways motion properly it will serve you fine.

I'd still take a good clutch-type LSD over it, but I'd much rather have it than an open diff.

Comment

Working...
                              X