What is lateral acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is lateral acceleration

like the subject says, I'm wondering what the term lateral acceleration is talking about, I have heard some autoX guys talking about it, I figure it is pretty self explaining, but sideways acceleration? are they refering to drift angles??

Think skidpad. Why is this posted here???

Comment

ok ill buy it!! haha j/m

Comment

lateral Acceralation is used to determin the amount of grip a car has, thus how fast it can corner. It is usualy expressed in terms of gravity, Acceleration due to gravity is 9.2 meters per second, per second. Or 9.2m/s^2 if your car can move that fast while cornering around a 200 foot circle they consider that 1g of grip. Which is hard to do. its called a skidpad test, most skidpad numbers are between .8G and 1.1G 1.1 G being incredably hard to get in a street car. Check out sport compact car's Ultimate street car challange issue from feburary for some truely impressive skidpad numbers.

A stock S13 will probably run abut .85 G or so with average tires and tierd suspension. Not great but not bad either. FCs and Older Miatas are all similar.

EDIT: Will a moderator move this to the tech section or something please?

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
          lateral Acceralation is used to determin the amount of grip a car has, thus how fast it can corner. It is usualy expressed in terms of gravity, Acceleration due to gravity is 9.2 meters per second, per second. Or 9.2m/s^2 if your car can move that fast while cornering around a 200 foot circle they consider that 1g of grip. Which is hard to do. its called a skidpad test, most skidpad numbers are between .8G and 1.1G 1.1 G being incredably hard to get in a street car. Check out sport compact car's Ultimate street car challange issue from feburary for some truely impressive skidpad numbers.

A stock S13 will probably run abut .85 G or so with average tires and tierd suspension. Not great but not bad either. FCs and Older Miatas are all similar.

EDIT: Will a moderator move this to the tech section or something please?
          okay he summed it up.
          I was going to add the equation, but he beat me to it bastardo! ha ha. Good job on the explanation!

Comment

Thanks, they usualy time the skidpad run then do some math. knowing its 200 foot i think they find the distance with Pi or something, then its just a mater of finding out how many meters a second or so they covered by dividing the time by the distance. Or something along those lines.

That actual forumla can be looked up pretty easily on google.

Comment

Basically lateral acceleration is a measure of how hard the car can corner. When a car corners at .85G it means that the car exerts a cornering force .85 times that of gravity.

Here's the Physics definition of Acceleration:
              Velocity is a change in either speed (how fast your going) or direction. Acceleration is a change in velocity. Thus when you change your speed or your direction you accelerate. Lateral acceleration is a combined measurement of the change in speed and velocity of the car.

Comment

thanks, sorry I started thread in wrong section. but this helps alot. it's amazing some of the answers people give on this forum, the physics behind driving is insane, I'm glad there are people here who know what they are talking about. I thought it was how fast your car goes sideways, yea, well thanks

Comment

Basically it's how hard the car can corner.

Comment

btw crash, what are you hitting on the skidpad

Comment

so when a car retains grip or rolls over, the measuring stops right? for circuit racing, lateral acceleration is bad but for drifting, its good right?

Comment

Lateral acceleration is a messure of grip. It has nothing to do with drifting or circuit racing, Whenever a car corners, the amount of lateral acceleration determs wether or not it CAN do it at that speed.

A good skidpad or Lateral acceleration number means the car can turn very very fast.

Comment

Working...
                        X