Info on drifting MKIII?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on drifting MKIII?

I recently purchased a 1987 MKIII turbo 5 speed.

I picked this over a 240sx, lets not start a discusion as to why but it was one of the two and I got this now.

I have been driveing a 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD for the past 3yr's so im not used RWD, yet the last rwd car I owned I loved, I felt I could control the *Censored**Censored**Censored* end very well.

Anyway the car is a little on the sick side at the moment (boost leak) so it's not that powerfull at the moment, Im not really even intrested in the "power" aspect at the moment, im thinking im going to swap out the stock 7M-GTE engine for a 1JZ, seems to make more since for drifting.

But what I am looking for here is advice on a suspention setup around $1500 or less that will do very well. Also tire advice would be helpfull. (what size, brand, stickyness etc.) And where I could purchase these thing's would be very helpful.

Also any other advice you feel I might need to know that would be helpful feel free.

(just dont tell me it's to heavy bla bla get a 240 bla bla)

The 1jz swap is a good upgrade, expecially since the 7m isnt very reliable. There are some pretty good information on some of the supra message boards. Take a look at supraforums.com or socalsupras.com, they have alot of mkiii's in there.
    BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

just search my username ( mk3mann ) and all of my posts...your bound to find alot of info there!

also i am on supramania.com and supraforums.com

( simann on those forums)

go search it out today and again find alot of info

good luck to ya bro and drift away!

Comment

I like seeing different cars at drift events. Even though I used to own a S13,...I enjoy seeing more variety.

Good luck w/ the project car.

Comment

Originally posted by mk3mann
          just search my username ( mk3mann ) and all of my posts...your bound to find alot of info there!

also i am on supramania.com and supraforums.com

( simann on those forums)

go search it out today and again find alot of info

good luck to ya bro and drift away!
          Hey mk3 how's the project comming? I have a motor ready just need a shell. I just got a new toy (spot welder) Can't wait to use it on some cars.

Comment

I am doing just fine. though i must pull my motor again ASAP due to a crappy oil pan gasket. I bought the Ebay special gasket set and it came with this niftly CORK oil pan gasket...yeah i put it on ...now i loose nearly a qaurt of oil driving 50 miles!!!!!!!

but anyway....i just ordered and recieved my Aluminum one piece drive shaft, havent got BUT ORDERED: Samco coolant pipes, RPS 6 puck STREET clutch, ASSCO flywheel ( basically fidanza), lexan clear cam cover ( from supra sport) stainless steel brake line kit ( ebay), stailess steel clutch line ( ebay), new clutch piston thingy to handle the higher pressure of a stainless line, Brembo drilled rotors from Stillen and came with free maxxis brake pads heheheh
            and lastly ST ( suspension tekniques ) front and rear sway bar kit from Stillen, but its backordered 3 weeks grrrr...

oh yeah, i got my TEIN coilovers on, and they are SOO nice! love the ride! VERY stiff

i need new tierods. too

Just go a cd player in the car and the windows tinted and the fenders rolled

i will post pics up tonight in just a few!

Comment

Great. Will you be posting on supraforums and socalsupras too?

Comment

** IF PICS DO NOT SHOW UP, RIGHT CLICK AND "Show Picture"...that should do it guys **

The new stuff is starting to come in:

Samco coolant hose kit from 935 motorsports. ( in blue, took 2 months to get here LOL...)
                My stainless braided and teflon coated brake lines AND clutch line kit.
                My RPS 6 puck street sprung clutch
                AASCO flywheel ( fidanza basically)
                ST sway bar kit ( from Stillen, 3 week backorder)
                Brembo drilled rotors all around
                Maxxis brake pads ( free from Stillen )
                Aluminum one piece drive shaft from supra sport
                Clear Lexan timing belt cover from supra sport

Also i already got my windows tinted 35% all around at Precision and also got my from fenders rolled to clear the tires and now NO RUBBING!!!

cant wait to hook up my drivetrain now, and brakes and complete my suspension ( cept for the cusco strut bars...i am having to save up some more money for those...i got bills to pay

I love my Nardi steering wheel and Veilside shift knob:

I want to get some Bride Brix seats next in RED or black...i dont know yet

The ghetto intake piping...lol

Clarion CD deck :

$30 ebay special diamond cut clear H4 conversion headlamps...made a HUGE diffrerence in night vision!

I will work up a total mods list real soon....i just dont want to see the doller amount yet spent on her...oh lord

whats you think guys? drift worthy?
                Last edited by mk3mann; 11-24-2004, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Very drift worthy, Look's too good to crash. I love pre 89's

Yours still has the front lip ahhh... so jealous!

Comment

It gives me hope that one day my car will be drift worthy. (wipes tear away overdramatically.

Comment

its ok guys....i will share the drift worthyness....

just need to complete her and quit SPENDING money and start SAVING...

i am too young for this ( 19 turning 20 in January lol)

thanks for the kind words and happy thanksgiving

Comment

.....your 19.

im already 20

Actualy after talking with some guys from AAP, im thinking I will keep the 7M-GTE, im just going to have them put a MHG, ARP head studs, kevlar T-belt and stronger valve springs & retainers on it.

asumeing it doesn't use much oil, it doesn't smoke on start up, has decent compression for the mileage (147,000) and has 155psi on all 6 cyl's to the dot

Just have to find that boost leak!!! (im lazy and have a dsm to drive daily )

Comment

Re: Info on drifting MKIII?

Originally posted by Red FuryII
                          But what I am looking for here is advice on a suspention setup around $1500 or less that will do very well. Also tire advice would be helpfull. (what size, brand, stickyness etc.)
                          Silkroad coilovers. dgtrials.com was selling them, but you got another link from supraforums.

Put the other $200 into braided brake lines and quality brake, transmission, and rear end fluid.

Comment

Like me:

1 piece aluminum drive shaft
                            rps street disk 6 puck sprung disk clutch ( 450lb tq capable pressure plate)
                            Aeromotive FPR ( fuel pressure regulator, with 7m fittings and gague)
                            Samco coolant pipes ( 1jz, from suprasport, you cut the pipes 1" on each tip and they fit PERFECTLY)
                            Brembo rotors ( f/r )
                            Stillen brake pads (f/r)
                            Stainless braided brake lines ( ebay)
                            stainless braided clutch line

NOT PICTURED but in transit:

ST f/r sway bar kit with bushings.
                            Clutch slave cylinder
                            Clutch master cylinder
                            Throw out bearing ( toyota)
                            Pilot bushing ( toyota)
                            Clear Cam gear cover ( lexan)

Cusco e-brake drift button thingy ( driftfactorywharehouse)
                            Levoc Aluminum gas pedal with heal/toe extension plate
                            N/A cams ( higher HP with lower torque)
                            N/A LSD ( 4.3 final drive vs. the stock turbo 3.91)

Bride Brix seats ( ebay)
                            TOM's 3pt racing harness:

yeah i am trying to make it drift ready...its going its going

i told you guys a LONG time ago i was aiming for a pure drift mk3...its really happening and I MEAN IT

Comment

My opinion on this is if you were to get the mk3, swap the engine, before you have some headgasket troubles. The turbo would make maintenance a great hassle, just get a swap overall. It's better than spending money on an engine that's going to waste, just in my opinion. It could just be my bad experiences with the 7MGE itself, but it's your car, do what you want with it. As far as drifting goes, the car itself is pretty heavy, try lightening it up, and mk3mann, sweet ride.

Comment

Working...
                              X