Ah Drifting, the things I notice whilst hanging mine arse out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah Drifting, the things I notice whilst hanging mine arse out

I've just recently started actively drifting my car. Now is prime for me, it's snowy out and it's easy to induce oversteer.

I noticed, that when countersteering the front wheels "know where to go". It seems as if once I start turning them in the right direction, the align themselves properly for the drift. Though I'm not certain this happens all the time, as I can't remember every detail from my drifts, I have noticed it, particulairly when I don't use the hand over hand method of steering or use my palm.

Now is this a normal occurence or does my car have a mind of its own?

Also, what, in your opinions are the best steering methods?
    B-Wurm

If you mean how the steering wheel auto countersteers then thats normal. Like i once i start slideing i let go of the wheel and let it counter then just grab it and play w/ the steering.

But then again for my car it snaps over fast so i kinda toss it towards the counter then grab it.

Comment

i know what you mean, mine likes to correct itsself as well. i have to point the wheels where they should be going during the drift and they stay in that direction with little effort, but once i'm through the corner i can pretty much just let my wheels straighten themselves out when i let go of the throttle.
      Last edited by na6ce; 12-12-2004, 11:55 AM.

Comment

this is called caster. Just like those front caster wheels(notice the name, lol) on the front of your shopping cart magically know where to track, the same priciple is used on the steering systems of cars to make them tract in the direction of the movement of the car. Now, it's doesn't really steer for you, so you still need to be in control of what you do when drifting. There's no auto pilot here, lol. Still, it will point you close to where you should be steering.

Comment

this isn't called caster its called having a steering rack. All steering racks will correct them selfs to face foward caster helps make it go even faster though. So don't feel like you have a magic car. If its not doing that than something is wrong

Comment

Originally posted by tonesdef
            this isn't called caster its called having a steering rack. All steering racks will correct them selfs to face foward caster helps make it go even faster though. So don't feel like you have a magic car. If its not doing that than something is wrong
            You're clueless

Comment

Front tires are going to try and follow the path of least resistance. Nuff said.

Added: I love my typos
              Last edited by SidewaysGts; 12-13-2004, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Parry
                You're clueless
                as a clam shell

Comment

Wow, you like to crap all over threads without regard to facts!

If it's even possible, why don't you try and drive a car with "0" caster...

Comment

as a clam shell
                    You realize that I'm not kidding with you, correct?

You're dumb.

Comment

^holy ouch Batman!

although...they're right on the not being correct thing.

The steering system doesn't affect feel or steering behavior other than providing a mechanical connection to the wheels as well as powered assistance or at least a reduction in effort on a non-power assisted system. How the steering actually feels beyond that and how it behaves is done through the suspension geomentry and its components.

The recentering force you mentioned is actually possible through something called inclination. Basically, the top of the swivelling component between the wheel and the suspension arm, the steering knuckle, is tilted towards the center of the car, towards the other front tire. This makes it so the steering will actually help center itself using the weight of the car as the centering force.

Caster works the same way, but instead of tilting the top in, you tilt the top forwards or backwards. Doing this adds what I refer to as a tracking force. Essentially, the tires want to track in the direction of the car's movement. This is why the steering wheel spins by itself into the slide.

Spend some time doing some research on the internet. There's a lot of good articles and such that cover all of these aspects as well as many more. You can actually learn quite a bit if you put a little studying time in. Knowledge is power.

Comment

so dont do drugs and make sure u stay in school!

Comment

Thanks guys for clearing that up. Caster is handy stuff.

B-Wurm

Comment

Working...
                          X