"new" technique I've discovered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "new" technique I've discovered

I just got back from a nice road, and surprised myself by developing another technique to induce oversteer on command. Now I've been driving the medium-low powered mk2 supra for a while, and I've found that feinting before a corner, combined with a precise application of throttle towards the end of the feinting motion, is the easiest way to reliably initiate a smooth drift in this car. But tonight I was having some problems because the road was wet and entry speeds were 50 mph+. If I tried to initiate drifts in 2nd gear, I would end up hitting the rev limiter the moment the rear tires started to spin. But if I entered the corner in 3rd gear, I was just out of the sweet spot of the powerband and so the car would just push if I gave it more throttle. After fighting the car's gearing for a while, I stumbled across a throttle technique which helps jolt the rear end loose when "lugging" the car (3500rpm isnt lugging, but it isnt wheelspin speed either): Floor the throttle momentarily, then lift all the way off, then modulate the throttle/steering. The timing is the key, but I finally got it down where I could count on the rear end coming out the moment I wanted.

Anyway, I hadn't seen this particular technique posted before and I think it may be quite helpful to all those with near stock hp 240s and hachis....

thats called accel off or the race drift. its covered in the drift bible.
    on dry pavement you usally have to go faster but since you were in the wet you went plenty fast. Its engine braking that causes it.

Comment

Yep, engine braking and weight shifting to the front from the deceleration.

It's a good technique to learn as it can be helpful to get the car sliding if you're just oh so close to sliding. It will also allow you to adjust your angle mid drift as well. If you're not rotating enough, a quick let off or even a light tap of the brakes can increase your angle of attack without losing too much speed.

Another simular thing to try is pumping the gas quickly on and off. It's almost like stabbing at it really and less wear and tear than something like clutch popping. You can usually both get a little weight forward and hopefully upset the rear tires enough to get the car sliding. It can also be helpful when the rear end wants to start catching again and you don't quite have the power to just keep the rear tires broken. I got used to doing this with the old beater '88 Ranger I had. It only put maybe 50hp to the ground and couldn't even spin its tires on gravel in any gear above first. Heck even in first, a rev drop would just result in bucking and the engine coming back down to a sputter a few seconds and a short spin later, lol, it was funny but oh so sad.

Anyways, have fun with your new technique. You can also try variations as well, anything from a partial throttle let off to light stab on the brakes. Whatever gets the weight forward quick and/or upsets the rear tires will get you sliding. You should have a lot of control in how much you move the weight forward and/or upset the rear end. Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Drift For Food
        Another simular thing to try is pumping the gas quickly on and off. It's almost like stabbing at it really and less wear and tear than something like clutch popping.

Thats basically what I was doing. Guess it's not a new technique

Comment

Dont get yourself down, you found out another way to make your car slide, I would be proud!

Comment

That's right. Feel good about finding a new way to control your car. It's all part of the fun of learning.

Comment

Working...
            X