No announcement yet.

Sequential Shift Gearbox for Drifting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sequential Shift Gearbox for Drifting?

i hav extra money to put in2 my car and i was thinking about a sequential shift gearbox. i'm looking for somefaster shifts and i thought this might b a good option. does it effect drifting? making it easier? or harder.

Re: sequential shift trani's

Originally posted by drift180sx
    i hav extra money to put in2 my car and i was thinking about a sequential shift gearbox. i'm looking for somefaster shifts and i thought this might b a good option. does it effect drifting? making it easier? or harder.
    ehh can we say overkill. i dont think a sequential tranny setup will affect your drifting per say, but why would you have that much extra money ? and if you wanan do something with your tranny, get a new clutch and flywheel. maybe get a short shifter for faster shifting. save all that money and put on some rucas or something. get some aero and low offset wheels

these are opinions expressed by yours truly, please dont flame me for my opinions thank you.

Comment

sequential tranny for drifting... maybe there is a reason that none of the pros that used to have them for drifting use them anymore... just a thought. Never used one myself, so don't know if I would like it.

I would say invest in a full OS Giken gearset if you want to upgrade the tranny. Not sequential.

PS: fast shifting is not really required for drifting... unless you flub something up.

Comment

I think a regular shift pattern would be better because you can skip gears. Say you come into a turn at high speed in 4th and initiate early, but the turn is pretty tight and you scrub off speed and take the turn in 2nd. If you had a sequential then you'd need to hit 3rd before you hit 2nd, might mess you up.

Comment

yea i was thinkn about that crazyhawaiian. my cars almost where i want it performance wise so i was tryn 2 think of something different that would work

Comment

sequential tranny for drifting... maybe there is a reason that none of the pros that used to have them for drifting use them anymore... just a thought.

Luvmufn: Some Pro drifters do use Seqential trans. Taniguchi is one...in fact not only does the HKS S15 have one so does his newest ride, the HKS Altezza. If I'm not mistaken, Kumakubo's car is also outfitted with the Sequential. And there may be more? l am also pretty sure that you will see at least 3 US cars pushing them as well on the US shores next season.

So my guess is that a sequential tranny is either driver preference or an advantage to that particular driver?

Comment

you sure its a sequential tranny, and not a dog box ? i dont really understand sequentail trannys for anythign but drag racing, or high speed runs or something.

Comment

There's noting wrong with a sequential transmission. But be prepared to cough an arm and leg to own one...

From an engineering standpoint, I really don't see a problem with sequential. If they need to drop down two gears, all they need to do is hit the downshift button twice.

Anyways, enough of my bull crap.

Comment

I see it as good for speed. A couple quick flicks can get you up or down a couple gears lightning fast. I'm sure it's not cheap in any sense of the word, but if you've got the cash and don't like playing with the clutch, it can be a no-nonsense option. WRC drivers use to to great success.

What's the down side? Well, for one, you lose how the engine engages. No clutch means no control. It engages in a predefined manner, although adjustable, hard or soft but the same every time. Is it a problem? I guess that depends on your technique. If you feather the clutch a bit already to manipulate power output and rear tire traction, you may have some getting used to with the new system. If most of your control is by throttle and the clutch is already mostly an on-off event, then you'd quickly adapt to the sequencial platform.

I can only say a tiny bit on what I do like about sequencial gear boxes, and it only comes from PC racing games where most PC wheels either come with a paddle shifter or a knob that works in the sequencial manner. I guess you can take this info lightly if you want. Shift time is predefined by the game and should work similar to a real version. I do like it for one reason, shifting is lightning fast. If you've seen the WRC cars, you realize the time from 6th to 2nd is a matter of how fast you flick the lever, one second, maybe two. You stay in your power band and you're can concentrate on throttle. Even mid-drift, if the system works the right way, you may be able to jump down a gear if you find yourself coming out the torque band or up a gear if you find yourself overreving in nearly an instant with maybe only a quick let off of the throttle to not over rev. (the system may do this automatically too, for the right price maybe)

You'd have to do a good bit of research to see how they truely work and what their limitations are. As well, price may vary a lot and as others have said, could be nearly astronomical. Over kill for a drift car? Maybe, but you might end up liking it very much.

Comment

one thing to note is what if you are also using it as street machine is always having to remember to but in nutral, lol, sounds stupid but there have been cases where ppl have forgoten to do this and seem to stall the car at the lights (here in australia anyways). here in australia law states (not that we find it politically correct) is that the owner of the car must have the gear pattern or indecator on the gear knob, this was fixed by using a digital number pad (digital clock face) and wiring it up so that it told you what gear you were in not to mention looks cool.

as using it for drifting i second the opinion that it all depends on your level of skill.

Comment

yea i dont think theres a law here about having the shift nob or something indicating what gear your in even tho it does always help... done some reasearch and fond some good info and i'm seeing if i can get it cheaper than 2grand. but i was also wondering at a stop light or something i hav to leave it in first and there are alot of hills here and it mite hav a tendency to stall out...

<h3>btw post 100!!!</h3>

Comment

so your just going to ignore all that we say and waste 2gs on a sequential tranny, wow good job.

the only reason to get a seq. tranny is if you drive an s15 with 6 spd tranny since they cant handle much power. as long as your trannys decent, just beef it up or get a dogbox. damn man

Comment

Over kill imo, justb ecasue you can pick up the unit for under 2k doesnt mean much- keep in mind you have to isntall it as well, and i dont know whats involved with that.

Whats a list of mods on your car? im sure me and many others would be happy to point you down a path that would benefit you a bit better

Comment

the sequential shifter that all the D1 guys and jgtc car use still have a clutch, you just dont need to use it on the upshit, all you do is lift off the throttle and shift, but you still need it on the downshift, so engine feel won't be a problem.

personally, I think there are a ton of things that you could use that money on. But if it makes you more comfortable as a driver, that is what is important. I just have a problem spending 2/3 the amount of the cost of my car on a shifter.

Comment

Here you go guys:
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33736

Comment

Working...
                              X