Drift a Low-Powered Vehicle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drift a Low-Powered Vehicle?

is there any way to do a decent drift w/ a low powered vehicle? i have a 93 240 w/ just intake and cat back and i can get the back to come out but only w/ the clutch kick technique and when i exit the drift my car always seems to snap back to place and i cant stop it from doing that. is it because im letting off the gas to early? or just reganing traction to early? any sugestions will help

yeah of course you can drift with a stock motor setup. the key is suspension and a decent LSD. upgrade your springs and shocks or better yet save up for a decent coilover setup. you snapping back is just the amount of counter steer you need but i strongly recommend a good suspension setup and either a 1.5 or 2way diff.

Comment

yea man i got a 93 240sx fastback and everythings stock from the open diff to suspension and i can still do choku dori and get the rear end out on dry road. mine kicksback also but when it does i just countersteer and use the car kickin back to keep drifting and also using throttle control. but im gona be gettin 2 way carbon deftforce lsd and kei office xr coilovers so should be alot easier and better. ^_^

Comment

It sounds like you're mostly trying to just upset the rear tires to start a drift. I'm not a fan of clutch kicks as I see it being hard on the clutch, especially a stock one. It works but so does the e-brake, quick modulation of the throttle(stab on and off), and even dropping to a lower gear without rev matching. They all do the same type of thing, upset the rear tires, just different methods.

As well, I'd suggest getting into weight shifting. Research info on feint and braking techniques. Feint is the side to side action through steering that is used to help rotate the car. Braking is used to shift the weight forward and increase front grip/decrease rear grip, and get the car to oversteer. These are two ways to get the car sliding without upsetting the rear tires. It can be smoother this way too.

An underpowered car does have its disadvantages. Still, you can do things to counter the ill-effects to some extent. First off, don't be afraid to stay hard on the throttle. I know you want to let off at times, but sometimes doing so will guaranty the end of your drift. You just don't have that extra power to kick it back out again without the above upset techniques. Stay heavy on the gas and only let up if you need to.

To control the car, instead focus more on steering. If you find the rear end resticking even when you've got the pedal to the floor, try not countersteering quite so much. Steer into the corner just a hair more(still countersteering of course). If you feel like the rear end is going to regrip, steer in a little. If the rear end is coming around too much, counter a hair. When exiting a drift, again use the steering as the control. You should be able to stay heavy on the gas and just steer the car straight again. If needed, a quick second off the gas should get the rear end planted again.

Suspension tuning is another area to look at. Any car can drift if tuned right, reguardless of the power. There's tons of things to do: springs, swaybars, shocks, wheels/tires, etc.... To get a car to drift easily and to behave in a manner that you prefer, this is where you should look. This is how you make a car do things you can't currently make it do.

Comment

Could be the tires. Your contact patch should match up with your power output. If they are too big for the ammount of power you have then it re-grips faster. It could also be a lack of momentum, just drifting the turn at too low of a speed. End up scrubbing it all off on the exit and it re-grips. Cant tell over the internet though, depends on the turn. hehehe

Comment

In regards to your car "snapping" back into place:

You could be letting off the gas too quickly / suddenly. When straightening out, try smoothly letting off the gas so your car doesn't snap quickly.

It could also be that you're losing wheel rpm in your drift. Your tires slow down to the point that they suddenly regain traction and grip again, snapping your car into line. You should be able to tell how fast your wheels are spinning by engine noise / rpm. Just kick the clutch again if you're not sure you have enough spin to get you through your drift. Be carefull with constantly banging your clutch though, unless you can change clutches quickly and easily.

Drifitng in a low powered vehicle is a little difficult, but still very possible. I think all of the corolla people can feel your frustration. Just remember that what you lack in horsepower needs to be made up for with momentum; either on entry speed, weight transfer (read Drift for Food's suggestions on that).

If anything, just go back to practicing donuts. I can't stress enough the importance of learning how to do good, controlled donuts / figure 8's first.

Comment

I have a '92 240SX with NO engine mods and I have no problem getting it to slide for quite some time. I ran 195/60R15s out back and they spun easily.

I would blame your problems on the driver (yourself) and the open diff.

Comment

What the heck is with you people thinking you are going to be using up clutches like some Barbie wannabe skank on diet pills if you use clutch kick... If you sit there and just bounce on the clutch pedal all day, of corse it is going to get all f%$#ed up, but using it as a technique on shorter runs and not letting it get WAY too hot it is not going to instantly dissappear. Wheel slippage is already bad on a clutch. If you are worried about any kind of excessive car wear... don't drift. And dude that can't figure it out... go find someone that really does this in real life and ask him/her to help you in the real world. This online opinion fest is not going to help you much.

Comment

Originally posted by twfds
                  In regards to your car "snapping" back into place:

You could be letting off the gas too quickly / suddenly. When straightening out, try smoothly letting off the gas so your car doesn't snap quickly.
                  i learned that one the hard way, and left chunks of my BRE lip spoiler on the hill.

Comment

Originally posted by LOVMUFN
                    What the heck is with you people thinking you are going to be using up clutches like some Barbie wannabe skank on diet pills if you use clutch kick... If you sit there and just bounce on the clutch pedal all day, of corse it is going to get all f%$#ed up, but using it as a technique on shorter runs and not letting it get WAY too hot it is not going to instantly dissappear. Wheel slippage is already bad on a clutch. If you are worried about any kind of excessive car wear... don't drift. And dude that can't figure it out... go find someone that really does this in real life and ask him/her to help you in the real world. This online opinion fest is not going to help you much.
                    uh no, wheel slippage doesnt hurt the clutch at all. when the wheels dont slip and the engine is spinning fast, <i>thats</i> when the clutch gets abuse. for example dropping the clutch at raised rpms on a slick suface hurts the clutch much less than a normal slow speed start from zero.

Comment

Constant changes in traction and other jolts to the driveline (i.e. drifting) are hard on a clutch for those of you too anal to figure out that not everyone needs to know every little detail to survive (Of corse, for those of you you that are that anal I will also aparantly have to say that if you have an automatic transmission this does not aply as they do not have a clutch and if you purchase a clutch that way out does your tires' ability to stick to the ground and your engines power output then it will not wear the clutch at all), and to those of you that are that anal I say, get a life and stop trying to argue for the sake of it.

Comment

cool your jets kid. its not that i'm anal, i'm about as layed back as they come, but this:

Originally posted by LOVMUFN
                        Wheel slippage is already bad on a clutch.
                        is completely incorrect. infact its the opposite, wheel slippage is the easiest thing on a clutch, save it being fully engaged at crusing speed, because the clutch is engaged and not slipping, so no friction. yes driveline shock affects the clutch, but tires can lose traction very smoothly, the two dont go hand in hand. i'm not arguing, truthfully i dont even care about talking to you, i'm simply saying that that is inncorrect and i'm pointing it out so people who are trying to understand this dont get confused. deal?

Comment

Mmm.....muffins

You both are partially right. It's dependent...on many factors. Hopefully, you both realize you're both right so we can stay on topic, lol. Feel free to PM each other though, if you want to iron out any details.

Comment

forget the topic a 72 2 door 510, damn you scuba steve why cant i find somn like that

Comment

Originally posted by 4doorpimpn
                              forget the topic a 72 2 door 510, damn you scuba steve why cant i find somn like that
                              well i think you just did, its for sale. call me if you're serious, (818) 949 4408, leave a message if we arnt home.

Comment

Working...
                              X