Clear All

Re: on the contrary...

Originally posted by [)rifterS13
    PRND21 Drifting
    LMAO!

Comment

QUITTER!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by hachiroku-fc3s
      But seeing as drifting is so much about car control, and you wont even be driving a standard...sadly Id have to say give it up. Well not give up, just steal a car, borrow your friends', something, youre just not gunna be able to get a good drifting experience out of an auto car. Sorry.
      /\
      /\
      /\
      Ok maybe you didn't right click and save the video that SHIFT... posted. Nice little vid, I LOVE the shots of mamma's big Lec gettin dirty that sh!t's great!

I told you from the start of this post, you can drift an auto. Might not be as cool, or fun, or whatever, but at least you're getting a start.

Comment

Well hey everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I will have to disagree. Drifting with an auto is just as much fun as drifting with a 5 speed. I have done both, so this isn't comming from someone who only has experience with an auto. The only difference between auto and manual is that you need to use different techniques. I have no problem acknowledging that a manual tranny is better for drifting because it offers you more techniques and better gear selection. But saying that you're not gunna be able to get a good drifting experience out of an auto car .... I disagree.

Using an auto was probably the best way to learn if you ask me. Because you dont have a clutch to kick, you must learn different techniques. That means that you are no longer dependant on any one technique, but instead you practice different techniques more often. Having the E-brake crap out was probably the second
        best thing to happen to me while I was learning. Again, you are forced to learn new techniques and make due with what you got. After going through these learning experiences, and then moving to a car that does have a manual tranny and a handbrake that works, I will have many more techniques at my disposal than I would if I had just been relying on a clutch kick from the start.

As for gear selection, you are right that a manual valve body helps, but even with a completely stock 4 speed auto with overdrive I was able to drift fine. Like drifting with a manual, you need to keep your speed, gear, and powerband in mind. When entering the turn, you should know what speeds you will be reaching, you should then select the correct gear that will put you in your powerband at that speed. For instance, if I was getting ready to drift a turn between 40-50 mph, I would put the auto in 2nd gear before even entering the turn. Use different techniques to kick it out, and just control the throttle through the drift, keeping the RPM's between 2500 and 5500. I dont think I've ever changed gear while drifting, just set it up right with pre-meditated gear selection and use throttle control to stay in the powerband. There have been times when the tranny kicked itself down to a lower gear but this just brought the RPM's up. The fact that I have a large displacement V8 with a flat torque curve makes it easier for me to drift with an auto. Maybe thats the problem that you guys are having with your cars. If your powerband is peaky then drifting is harder in general because throttle control becomes very touchy, and this will be even more pronounced with an automatic tranny. The only time my car was in 'D' (which would be third gear) was on the straight away while choku'ing between 65 and 75 mph. The car never saw 'OD' or fourth gear. Alex thought it was cool ....

Comment

Re: Auto Dori

Originally posted by S13_Steve
          ok some of u guys know that im getting a 240sx and now i am...the thing is my rents are paying for the car and they wont let me get stick soo im going to have to resort to auto which im very dissapointed...yeah i know it sucks... fuxor...and fuk rents!
          Go buy your own car then. At least your parents are willing to buy you a car.

Comment

Hey if your parents want to buy you a 240 but it has to be auto go ahead and let them buy it. Beat the hell out of untill it die's then convert to 5spd. Im not saying auto drifing is impossible but just isnt as fun. Well I lied drifting a 4300lb luxuary sedan around the track was pretty exciting. Im suprised i got her soo loose like that.

Comment

Better hope yo mam dont see that.

Might get messy

Comment

Blow it up and then convert. Ive seen the whole conversion installed go for under 1000. Tell them the 5-spd gets better gas mileage.

Comment

lets hope they dont mind you blowing up your first cars engine...my parents would be like..if we got you manual you'd just do the same thing again, not that they know anything about drifting or anything related to that...why not find a manual 240 instead?...and before getting the auto say something about the gas mileage...

Comment

wait wtf, did i say engine..i meant..tranny..EHEH

XD

Comment

I have a auto matic. I took the t-handle shifter out and put in the manual shift. so this way you push down instead. I have been drifting for about a year now with it, and I have had no tranny problems yet ( knock on wood) I think it is pretty easy, I can hang with those that have manual.

Sucky part is I am going to have to re-learn everything when i get manual. but oh well

Comment

can u guys gimme some techniques to use.... just off the top of my head is jerkn the wheel fast and then pulln the e brake.......and also is it better to get an LSD first or the springs and shocks for my auto?

Comment

Suspension is more expensive,so I would say a LSD first.Even with upgraded suspension,youd still have one wheel spinning.

Comment

E-brake is lame...and mine is shot to hell so even if I wanted to I couldn't pull it with any result.

Comment

Re: Learn to do your own tranny services!!

Originally posted by Sideways_In_SD
                              I'd recommend a pan drop every month or two if you plan on drifting alot. If not at least change the fluid out.

I recommend your first mod be a Diff, before you do anything else, otherwise you're not going to have any fun at all. Or you'll spin in to something trying real hard.

Don't worry about what most of these clowns say about drifting an auto. You can drift ANYTHING, if you can drive , and know what you're doing.

Good Luck, have fun, and don't wreck (it's expensive)

Diff Diff Diff!!!!!

Comment

I drive a mercedes and the weight is pretty easy to shift around its its an FR just shift the weight, foot brake a little, and then floor it, if you need to use the 123 gears, in a mercedes we have a staggered auto tranny shifterso i dont have to push the button, it makes it easier for mebut yeah think of it as a feinting weight shifting power over super drift in an automatic. it will drift and even better is that if you use the selected ones it wont shift out.

Its pretty cool drifting a big *Censored**Censored**Censored* luxury sedan with 320 horsepower hahah. Im trying to get a manual though the v8 is really killing my wallet with gas prices

Comment

Working...
                                X