No announcement yet.

AE86 4AC & Nitrous Oxide....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yea whats the number i could use it. there was one on here for four three fifty that is pretty complete. that might be just as good of a deal. let me know the number and check out that 4ag thread under buy and sale. let me know. any one else have anything else on the nitrous issue?

Comment

me personally on the whole NOS factor...

if it's used during mid-drift i'm against it, has bad news written all over it..
      Actually with how old that motor is i would think the first shot would have the piston fried....
      Now in the straights hey sure why not...
      But if you think about it cost wise a wet shot kit and install vs. a 4age and install they're about the same

if I were you...which I'm not...I would go for the swap and then in the future think about supercharging or turbo the longer lasting boost

Comment

yea. that makes a lot of sense. well Damn. maybe ill just do a major tune up and add the nitrous for the straights. hopefully i wont get pulled over for not having a cat. the muffler shop said its a 25k fine. he also said the only way they find out is through DEQ. hopefully that and LSD and a complete tune up with weight reduction will give me the drift horsepower. i guess i would like the nitrous to give me some power for the straights. hachis are slow. and i own one. man. decisions

Comment

after i reread the comment about the cost for install verse the cost of nitrous is not even close. nitrous is three hundred and i install. 4agze is 500 to a grand plus 1000 for install.. ill elaborate when i get home. im in a meeting right now lol

Comment

First off a 2 1/4 exhaust WILL NOT net you a 20hp gain. Plus a 2 inch exhaust is ideal for a 1.6-2.0 NA motor anyways.

Second 4AG's can be had at most every motor importer for aroun $350-500. I bought my hi-comp with 60,000miles and taken from an automatic transmissin (less likely to have been abused) for $380 out the door. Slap some carbs on the *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* if you don't wanna deal with the whole ECU wiring mess.

Comment

Originally posted by O5m0515
              First off a 2 1/4 exhaust WILL NOT net you a 20hp gain. Plus a 2 inch exhaust is ideal for a 1.6-2.0 NA motor anyways.
              hopefully it will. its straight pipes. hardly any bends, just enough to fit. no cat. straight to HKS hipower muffler... it should definitely add up. atleast 15hp for sure.. i wouldnt say any more than 20...

Originally posted by O5m0515
              Second 4AG's can be had at most every motor importer for aroun $350-500.
              if you can help me find one, ill pay you lol. Ive seriously looked all over and have found them for around 900 dollars. they are more complete though... have any websites or know anyone that has one??

Comment

2 1/4" straight pipe will not give you 20hp! I gaurantee you that it won't you'll actually be losing a huge power band if you do that, especially given that you are running a 4AC. The carb on the 4AC is very tempermental to back pressure changes, especially if it's 2 1/4.

Secondly, I would not recommend any means of forced induction with that 50 shot. Well, of course, if you want to blow that motor up, by all means do it and get a video clip while you're at it. I suspect that you MIGHT have a chance if you find a heavy duty head gasket for the 4AC if you are going to plan on building power from forced induction. You should post in club4ag.com about this particular project, I'm sure they'll give you more quantitative evidence to disprove your theory about the 20hp gain simply by installing a straight pipe.

BTW: If you're in Southern Cali, I know where to get a 4age (just the block). It's at K.Watanabe's for 350, I think 25 bucks for core charge.

I pretty sure they still have a 4AGZE full clip as well. I remember them asking for 750 or so.
                Last edited by general ganja; 03-04-2005, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Hey interesting concept... we're actually modding a 4AC engine on a project rust heap AE86 as well. I picked up a sprinter as a spare for my CA18DET circuit levin, and instead of just letting it be used for scrap, we decided to do an oldschool mod on it.

So far we've taken off the standard carby and changed it over to a SU carburetor. We're in the process of fabricating a pressure box to house the carby in. Why? Because we're turboing the carby a single turbo off a Skyline R32 GTR (theoretically this is a 1.3L turbo, and should spool nicely on a 1.6L) and an intercooler off a Mitsubishi Starion, into a age old tested n proven blow through carby system. Only problem is that the pressure of the induced air will push the fuel that's in the carby back in, rather than siphon it out, hence the pressure box to equalise the pressure in the carby and outside. Once we get a manifold to feed the turbo from the 4AC and bend some mild steel pipes for the intercooler and into the pressure box, we should be ready to rock.

To decompress the engine we used a 2mm headgasket, which dosen't really make a large difference, but anything helps. The idea is to do the whole thing cheap without touching the engine's internals.

At one stage we were thinking of putting nitrous in there as well for lower RPM, but that involves strengthening the engine. Seeing as the engine only costs AUD$100 at the wreckers, the engine is expendable. So if it blows, throw it out and get another in and whack the whole system on it. Would be awesome for drift, which I wanna try out.
                  Last edited by funkymonkey; 03-04-2005, 01:54 AM.

Comment

think I should also mention that a guy that's putting a 4AGE into his AE86 has agreed to give me his 4AC for free... sweet... another one to blow up in the name of forced induction

Comment

with that exhaust system you would probably get about 8hp. and it would not surprise me if you lost a little on the low end.
                      if you really want to drift, dont mess with the motor (aside from the tune up), get an lsd, upgrade the suspension, then just work on your skills

Comment

Originally posted by funkymonkey
                        So far we've taken off the standard carby and changed it over to a SU carburetor. We're in the process of fabricating a pressure box to house the carby in. Why? Because we're turboing the carby a single turbo off a Skyline R32 GTR (theoretically this is a 1.3L turbo, and should spool nicely on a 1.6L)
                        well. i like the ca18det idea. but i also like the idea of keeping the same original motor. its unique to the car and i wouldn't have to go through a swap. on matter what i do i will get videos up. i heard from numerous sources that the engine would not have a problem at all running a 50 shot. thats almost nothing at all. i also like the idea of a turbo 4ac. whats the cost of doing that versus a swap to ca18det? i can get the front clip for just under two g´s. install at another grand. what would it cost me for material wise to? maybe you guys would be interested in working out a deal where i pay you for a set up? im trying to keep my options open so i can pick the best idea that will be the best performance wise and last long. let me know

Comment

Originally posted by general ganja
                          I gaurantee you that it won't you'll actually be losing a huge power band if you do that, especially given that you are running a 4AC.
                          Damn. you just cant win with there 4ac's. 2 and a quarter is not that much different than stock anyway. ill try and get dyno as the car is as i bought it, after i tune it up, and after i put the straight pipes. i had friends tell me i could get 20. i looked at many sites that showed bolted on mufflers with a gain of 15 horsepower. without a cat it would be even more free flowing. ill have the carb adjusted after this too. ill probably have a shop tune the car to run smooth. that way it will have optimal power for the shitty engine that it has. damnit.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood
                            with that exhaust system you would probably get about 8hp. and it would not surprise me if you lost a little on the low end.
                            if you really want to drift, dont mess with the motor (aside from the tune up), get an lsd, upgrade the suspension, then just work on your skills
                            so you think the engine will supply enough drift power provided an LSD? and suspension of course

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood
                              low end meaning acceleration or top of the gear? you mean by installing a bigger diameter exhaust i will be losing the horsepower that i have when i am at the low end of a gear meaning between 1k rpm and about 3.5k rpm? sorry about all the seperate responses but i cant freaking quote numerous responses on my phone. and im in math class. the computers here block drifting.com anyway. let me know.

Comment

Well we're in Australia, so our costs will be a bit different. All our AE86's came with 4AC's, so finding a replacement engine is cheap as chips. The cost to do the CA18DET swap on the circuit car cost about AUD$2500. The engine and all the ancillaries came out of a local silvia that was rear ended. However things like engine mounts were done inhouse.

Cost to do the turbo 4AC is estimated to be around AUD$1500, but whereas the CA18DET swap was a big job, the turbo carby is a staged process. You can actually just bolt a tubo on and run very low boost on it, without intercooling it or having to use a pressure box, then you can add an intercooler and add a little bit more boost (as long as the fuel is still being drawn from the carby), then when you wanna get good induction you can go with a pressure box setup. At each step you'll get a good feel for how the engine responds to mods etc.

The good thing about carby's and blow through or suck through turbo systems is that you don't have to mess around too much, theoretically, the more air going in, the more fuel goes in, unlike an EFI which has many more parameters. We've done a suck through carby turbo on an early RX-7 and got good results using an SU carby as well. The simple principles is sorta lost on guys these days with their "drop an RB engine into anything and it'll be JDM tyte y0" attitude

Altho I must add, we're doin the carby turbo for fun, just to take drifting... the CA is for the serious end of business

Comment

Working...
                                X