AE86 4AC & Nitrous Oxide....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by funkymonkey
    You can actually just bolt a tubo on and run very low boost on it, without intercooling it or having to use a pressure box, then you can add an intercooler and add a little bit more boost (as long as the fuel is still being drawn from the carby)
    so your saying that i can turn that carburated car into one with a low boosting turbo, and all that i have to do is find a low boosting turbo that comes off a 1.3l car and it will work with the existing carb and everything? how much psi is safe? and whats an su carb? price? where do i find one?

Comment

2" and 2 /12" is a whole lot. the most i think you can get on the exhaust is ~5hp. it is just logical to swap into a 4age if you have an sr5.

Comment

especially on na. maybe from a supra tt you ould get 20 hp from an exhuast. but no way on a corolla(except fore that three rotor one,

Comment

logical yes for the 4ag swap. ugh. that three rotor is sweet as hell. if rotor's didnt break as much i would get that. how much are those Damn things anyway? the exhaust thing should be alright. two and a quarter is alright. i just change it if wont work. i guess no nitrous right im stuck on that turbo now.

Comment

ps: an exhaust made for a GTS wont fit on an sr5, they are different lengths. modifications will be needed

As for the 4ac? its a crap box. In Aus they use it, cause to them the cost of getting a 4age is alot more than your cost.

Basically you are choosing the 4ac cause its there right now, but you would be way happier with a 4age and the potential blows the 4ac out of the water.

Save up, buy a GTS and sell the SR5.

Comment

Originally posted by Deluxe_247
              ps: an exhaust made for a GTS wont fit on an sr5, they are different lengths. modifications will be needed

As for the 4ac? its a crap box. In Aus they use it, cause to them the cost of getting a 4age is alot more than your cost.

Basically you are choosing the 4ac cause its there right now, but you would be way happier with a 4age and the potential blows the 4ac out of the water.

Save up, buy a GTS and sell the SR5.

dude, differences in the sr5 and gts are not a lot. mechanical wise a lot, but the car, suspension, and eveyrthing else (except bumpers) is the same. trust me, ive looked into this..

ive come too far with this car to turn back. ive put 4K into the freakin body and paint.

as for the engine, your right. i shoudl just get the 4agze... if they use them in austrailia that cant be that bad then... they somehow get the power out of them.. i think it would be unique to have that engine in a car here and still have it drift and run a good quarter mile.. oh well. the 4ag is much more expandable.

Comment

Originally posted by Deluxe_247

its a stainless custom exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by GodsAdvocate
                  so your saying that i can turn that carburated car into one with a low boosting turbo, and all that i have to do is find a low boosting turbo that comes off a 1.3l car and it will work with the existing carb and everything? how much psi is safe? and whats an su carb? price? where do i find one?
                  under 4PSI is what I'd call safe on a carburetted setup with no intercooler or pressure box. Your biggest cost will be getting the manifold made up to send exhaust thru the turbo, but once that's done the rest of the costs are minimal. Most parts come off other older cars. As for getting a 4age, it costs about AUD$1500 in australia for a 4age, and a lil more for a 20V, the engines are readily available from later model corollas and from half cut imports. As I said, no one over has done a 4AC turbo, probably because they've read somewhere that the 4AGE is teh l33t engine.

SU carbs are the best that we've come across that are cheap and don't suffer from float issues under higher pressure. They are commonly used in Volvo and Beetle carby upgrades. We tried to use a weber quad chamber carby that comes as part of a carby turbo kit for an old Holden (GM), but found that the amount of fuel it drew through was too much.

Carby turbo's are nothing new, people have done them on all sorts of cars, from beetles to fords to volvos to mazdas. If you thought the sound of induction in a 4AGE with quad throttle bodies was fun, wait till you hear a forced carby revving

CAPA in australia (who make supercharger kits for V8 Soarers) make a carby supercharger kit (not for the 4AC, but it'll give you an idea of what we're trying to do)... here's the pressure box:

Just substitute a turbo and exhaust manifold for the supercharger.
                  Last edited by funkymonkey; 03-04-2005, 09:34 PM.

Comment

CAPA in australia (who make supercharger kits for V8 Soarers) make a carby supercharger kit (not for the 4AC, but it'll give you an idea of what we're trying to do)... here's the pressure box:

AHHH! I want one! Holy crap. I can have a shop make me a manifold. That pressure box setup! WHERE DO I GET ONE OF THOSE? Thats sweet... Seriously.. where can I get one of those... I am seriously considering getting a turbo now instead of the swap. Instead of getting the swap, I want to be different.. Have a sweet sounding, and fast! 4-AC!

Decisions, decisions...

Comment

We'll be using water injection into the engine to see where we can go from there. Basically your only problem with a 4ac is going to be heat. More induction = more fuel burnt = more heat, hence the intercooling between the turbo and the carby, which is why we chose the blow through system, as a suck thru system dosen't support intercooling. Water injection into the engine also helps cool things down, but we'll do that once we get to the stage where the engine can't handle the heat generated. That's the best thing about doin everything in stages.

Your best bet would be to talk to oldschool tuners (guys who work on old pushrods and rotaries) about fabricating a pressure box and blow through turbos. Over here the tuners that work on old Datsun engines seem to be the most knowledgable when it comes to small carby turbo's. Carby turboing uses very simple technology, and simple principles that work. Worst case scenario if you melt the pistons on your 4AC, convince someone that a 4AGE is the best thing that can happen to em, and take their 4AC off em for free
                      Last edited by funkymonkey; 03-05-2005, 12:34 AM.

Comment

oh and the only snag we hit with the whole system was choosing the right carby that'll work under pressure, and fabricating a manifold that supported intake runners and exhaust runners on the same side (as the 4ac isn't a cross flow SOHC).

here's some reading for you to educate yourself... http://www.dune-buggy.com/turbo/carbureted.htm

have it drift and run a good quarter mile
                        Don't even bother. A drift car is not fit to be a circuit car or a quarter mile car or a show car or even a daily driver. Pick what you want to be and stick to it, don't try to be a jack of all trades.
                        Last edited by funkymonkey; 03-05-2005, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GodsAdvocate
                          low end meaning acceleration or top of the gear? you mean by installing a bigger diameter exhaust i will be losing the horsepower that i have when i am at the low end of a gear meaning between 1k rpm and about 3.5k rpm? sorry about all the seperate responses but i cant freaking quote numerous responses on my phone. and im in math class. the computers here block drifting.com anyway. let me know.
                          low end meaning your initial acceleration. with out a cat, and a larger exhaust system you will loose back pressure. this will cause you to loose power. your only power gains will be at the top of the power band (the peak of the RPMs.) It would not surprise me if your car turned out to be slower in a drag race, even with more "peak" power, because of the loss on the low end.

Comment

A drift car is not fit to be a circuit car or a quarter mile car or a show car or even a daily driver. Pick what you want to be and stick to it, don't try to be a jack of all trades.
                            im not trying to make a competition winning drift car or a drag winning toyota. what i want is the best looking hachi in washington that will have the power to drift (LSD me course) and a car that will beat these crap ricers around here that think that graphics give them horsepower. know what i mean? isnt that feasible? sounds to me like it would be quite easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood
                              It would not surprise me if your car turned out to be slower in a drag race, even with more "peak" power, because of the loss on the low end.
                              okay i get that, what about big blocks and stuff that run straight headers? i know the are like literally three times to four times the size of my engine but they dont have cats? does back pressure not affect large displacement engines? how does that work?

Comment

back pressure will effect every motor. even on a big block you will loose power, though because of the high amount of exhaust energy that those motors produce, they stand to gain more on the top end.

Comment

Working...
                                X