drifting an audi s4...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drifting an audi s4...

hey i am new to the board and was wondering if anyone out there could give me some advice about setting my car up for drifting. I recently became the lucky owner of a 2001 audi s4 and am currently tuning it out for street and track racing as well as using it as a daily driver. i already have most of my upgrades planned for the car and aside from a chip and exhaust, i will be concentrating mostly on suspension / brake upgrades. i am getting a set of H&R street coilovers and dropping the car about 1.5 - 2 inches. 19x8.5 volk gt-n's wrapped in toyo proxes t1s. i already have a neuspeed 19mm rear swaybar installed and set to hard. i am dropping in some stoptech 355mm rotors and some 4 piston caliper brakes up front and doing an RS4 rear brake upgrade. fully adjustable camber/caster/toe and swaybar links are going to be installed. so these are all upgrades i have planned before i start doing serious upgrades to the motor. mind you with the chip/exhaust upgrades i should be turning out around 350HP on 100 octane. are there any other things i should pay attention to if i want to start doing serious drifting?

thanks a lot!

indica
    Attached Files

I think you're on the right track. The S4 is pretty amply equipped from the factory, but the mods you've chosen are very similar to one of our drifters here in Hawaii.

If you have a chance, pick up 360 Videos "Hard Drive" or "Reset" and go to the Drift Session segments. You can see one of our drivers, Shige Hirabayashi, drifting in his Audi S4. The mods on his car were only chip, exhaust, coilovers, and 18" wheels.

Comment

nice. i just picked up hard drive and JDM insider earlier tonight and havn't watched hard drive yet but just got done with JDM insider, *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* was illy. can't wait to see the s4 drifting, i am going to go watch it now. well thanks for your help!

indica

Comment

Are you sure Shige's car is an S4? His parents live on my hill and I've seen his car there with A4 markings and then one day it just turned into an S4. Not trying to hate on him, but both my brother and I remember seeing that.

Comment

i've seen tons of people try to make their a4's look like s4's and all the people with s4's try to make their cars looks like rs4's. is it a six speed? if it is, its an s4. a4's never came in a six speed. only other way to tell is to get him to pop the hood. or check his timeslips... heh.

Comment

Originally posted by VRDjr
            Are you sure Shige's car is an S4? His parents live on my hill and I've seen his car there with A4 markings and then one day it just turned into an S4. Not trying to hate on him, but both my brother and I remember seeing that.

It is and always was an S4.

Comment

I say you start out with a different wheel/tire selection. Dont beat me up but I dont know much about Audi's ... is the S4 the AWD one? If so you should do some research on AWD drifting, but my recommendation is to use some junk wheels at first with smaller tires and no grip. This will make it easier to get the car sideways and lets you get a feel for how the car transfers weight before moving up to better wheels and tires. If you cant get the car sideways just mash the throttle more!!

Comment

yes the car is AWD, and honestly wheels/tires were my biggest concern. I am unsure of what tires to use for drifting and am relativly sure the way a set of 265/35 toyo t1s' grip they may be a bad choice. i know drifting is hard on tires maybe getting a second set of wheels and tires may be a good idea. any recommendations to the size or rubber compound? maybe move down to a 225 or 235 on a 18x8 inch rim, does that sound a little more on track. I am running michelin pilot sports 235/40 17 on the stock rims now and they are a bit hard to break loose, but they have a very soft rubber compound.

thx,

indica

Comment

Working...
                X