performance driving help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• performance driving help

hay guys, i'v been drive'n the back roads around here in my 1g omni (hope that sounds important to those of you that don't know what that is) and i realize that i suck, do any of you know of some performance driving books that could help me improve, thanks!

I haven't personally read it but my friend highly recommends "The Racing Driver: The Theory and Practice of Fast Driving by Denis Jenkinson"

Comment

Your natural interest will attract you to the knowledge in every way you can find. Books are a good source of driving techniques. Oddly, I have never read a racing book.

I've come about it in a different manner. I've always driven fast, ever since I first got my own car. I had the gift so to speak, but I had no understanding. The understanding came much, much later.

First off, experience goes a very long way. If you're young and relatively new to driving, don't expect to be good. You need seat time.

As well, you will need to gain understanding. Books will tell you what to do. If they are good, they may actually explain why and how it works. For myself, it was college physics, PC game called Live For Speed, and my new found interest(at the time) of drifting after watching Initial D. I built up the understanding from my engineering teachings and a place to practice theories and ideas both in the rear world around the back roads by my house and in a safe, virtual world in LFS. Along with discussions on this forum and others, I've come to understand the physical characteristics of cars, how various driving techniques work, and concepts behind car tuning.

When finding new techniques, try to fully understand them and their purpose. What is the technique? How does it physically work? What is it's purpose? What situations would it best work? Once you understand the technique, practice will finish off the understanding will hone the technique to something towards perfection. Don't limit yourself to drift only or grip only techniques. Everything is useable to be fast or to manipulate the car in a desired manner. There are no good or bad techniques, just situations where one would be better than the other. Learn them, understand them, apply them, and get good at them.

Always remember to be safe and drive smart.

A whole new world awaits you. Cars come into a whole new light when you start to get into the details of things.

Comment

Working...
      X