drift setups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drift setups

hey what kind of a set up could i use on a 1979 280zx to star drifting in what should i do to the car

george

First and foremost I'd say find a safe place to practice.
    Also get some low grip tires with a high treadwear and if you're lucky enough to find and afford a good limited slip differential or stiffer suspension for your application, that should help too.

Comment

^ I agree.

Now I'd like to say something in general. A drift "setup" would be generally stiffer in the rear than a grip setup in theory, because you are attempting to unsettle the rear of the car. So in addition to stiffer swaybars to help stop body roll and turn it into sideways movement, you'll need springs and struts which will stiffen the car and not only make it more controllable at higher speeds, but more predictable for drifting. Anything over stock is better, but the reason why coilovers are so admired for drifting is because you are able to adjust the stiffness of the front vs. the rear, which can help when tuning for the AMOUNT of stiffness to fit the car and your driving style.

If you are on a budget, stiffer springs and struts (maybe adjustable struts if it's near Christmas time) will help a lot to get you a better performing car in all aspects as well, but won't be as adjustable.

Comment

just my theory not fact or anything
        i figure ina breaking drift, ur obective iz to get the front lean foward, like to transfer the weight of the car to the front

well if u agree:
        then i would say the ideal set up would be soft in the front and stiff in the rear
        this way the weight can be transfered to the front, thus the weight in the rear will be lessend which in turn will lessen the amont of traction available in the rear and then do wa u do and have fun
        this should work WITH GOOD TIRES but better with worn ones hope this was helpful

Comment

IMO you don't necessarily want it soft in the front. You don't need the car to lean forward in order to get your weight transition. A stiffer setup in the front will be more responsive. But whatever works.

Comment

the front should be stiff or not? in order to easily control the way you want it to go ... and somewhat stiffer than stock in the rear to make it slide ... start using the e-brake

other ways to drift will follow automatically

Comment

for front suspension it should be tight, and you want the rear suspension to have less anti-squat than a grip car, that way when you get on the gas, the rear of the car will squat to a degree therefore lossening the rear tires. also, as far as sway bars go, you would prolly want them slightly looser in the back, that way the rear will swing the weight better, but not drastically less than the front, cause you dont want a ton of roll at all, actually like zero roll...that is just some of theory that can be applied, and like previously stated, just because the cars body doesnt shift much doesnt mean the wieght isnt transfering, in fact you want the body to move as little as possible, because that means that the weight shift is going more to the tires than to the suspension and body. also, a really good thing to do is to upgrade to polyurethane bushings, because the deflect alot less than OEM rubber, which is a good thing, it will make your car much more responsive...lol, this is getting long so i will let you gusy go now...hope that helps...if you need more, go to www.turnfast.com or something like that i think...lol

Comment

Working...
              X