Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help on drifting facts/statistics

I'm writing a paper about drifting

so how do I prove/argue that drifting is faster than regular turnning on corners?
    I understand all the weight transfer concept, but I dont have any fact/statistic that says drifting is faster under certian circumstands.

I need a comparsion, does any one know any site that has a comparable statistic like drift VS. grip

any suggestion will be appreciated

Why is everyone writing a paper about drifting !?

Comment

Originally posted by MrodDrft
      Why is everyone writing a paper about drifting !?

o yeah?
      drifting is growing big man, even on the east coast

maybe you can share some ideas

Comment

might have better luck on a GT3 forum

Comment

yea i know its growing but u dont have to write a school paper about it Lol

Its going to be impossible to prove this argument unless u do testing or sumthing. Bench racing doesnt work for drifting. Drifting is usually only faster on the touge anyways

Comment

man, dont let ppl know about drifting unless they are worthy of knowing. do a paper on drag racing, everyone knows bout that.

im getting tired of all these ppl goin around callin themselves drifters cuz they can do it in video games. PISS ON THAT.

Comment

Originally posted by 180sx2nr8u
              im getting tired of all these ppl goin around callin themselves drifters cuz they can do it in video games. PISS ON THAT. [/B]
              AMAN BROTHER! preach on!!! damned kids playing grand tourismo argueing with me about drifitng, come to find out there experience is all behind the controller, not an actual car. Im not putting down videos games, we all love them. but the Initial D game and GT3 do not make you drifters! do not argue with a guy who has put his car sideways many a time, and is working hard to improve his technique threw practice, trial and error, and research.

eh sorry about that, but it had to come off my chest.

Comment

agreed...down at the initial D arcade game, this little 12 yr old was trying to tell me how to drift....so i asked him how many times he had slide a real car, and he shut up pretty quick.......damn middle schoolers.....

please no comments about the initial D arcade game....its just something to pass the time cause my car is broken.....its on its way back to life though

Comment

down at the initial D arcade game, this little 12 yr old was trying to tell me how to drift
                  probably trying to boost his ego.

Even if you did a paper on drift vs grip. It'd be biased towards one method, because it's such an opinionated question.

Comment

You are never going to prove whether grip or drift is faster, you would have to test every corner in every square inch of the world and that aint gonna happen. You are also never going to settle it without that so forget it. That arguement is as old as say whether Santa is black or white or Asian, or whats better, coke or pepsi. Different people got different views and you are never going to change those.

So my best advice to you is to write your paper on the alarming trend of Street racing or the uncanny breeding habits of Altezza tail lights. Those things multiply faster than rabbits. They show up everywhere. Cause you are gonna get much more useful feedback on that than Grip versus Drift.

Comment

you would have to test every corner in every square inch
                      of the world and that aint gonna happen
                      we can start here in Atl, unless you're from another Duluth Mr. Ghost.

but then the driver comes into play also... different skills and different habits result in unique results

Comment

Fact:

To go the fastest, you must use all 100% of the vehicle's capability. That includes using up all the traction available. That also means going beyond the static grip of the tires to where there is some slip.

At this stage, you will encountering low slip angle. This is what you see all the time during racing.

Technically, you can call it drifting. This is the only relm where drifting (low slip angle) is faster than a car that simply lives on an edge below the point where all it's full static friction is used up.

Now, popular notion.

D1GP, etc drifts. The big smoky, showy, huge wide angle drifting. More commonly known by the general public as drifting. That's slower than grip.

How to find out for yourself?

Go to your local race tracks during club event days. Talk to drivers and see if you can get a ride-along. Lots of fun. Try to ride with Porsche 911 or E30 M3 heavily prepped street/race cars. Go for a ride for couple of laps.

You will soon see how typically, if these guys are good, they will push the limit of the tire traction to the limit. Some hot shoe drivers will even go beyond the edge to help make the car rotate in corners.

After a while, you will realize that the car is exhibiting some low slip angle drifting.

but, it's not commonally call drifting. It's call grip.

Here's another thought:

To be good at drifting, you need grip skills. To be good at grip, you need drifting skills. They are the same damn thing. Car control... Meaning using up the last big of traction/capability of the vehicle to go as fast as you can.

Big angle show drifts can't do this.

Comment

one of my friends was like... i heard my friend said u aint a drifter...and he said his name and all and i know him...hes some stupid azn game freak who likes racing....he doesnt have a car...nor a job....but has a ps2 and plays gt3... he has never seen me drift.... and he just showed me his ps2 game initial D was being all hyped up in front of me trying to act all cool and *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*.... i call myself a drifter but whats weird is i dont even say im a drifter... you know why ...its because the friends i take out to go dori they go tell people i drift soo everybody knows now...... sad thing is the guy who said i wasnt a drifter is going to be wrong is whole life cus hes always going to be a ricer...

Comment

Working...
                          X