How do you practice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you practice?

My biggest problem with drifting (and fun driving in general) is that I have no place to do it. How can you kids slide and goof off in parking lots without the cops showing up in five minutes? I desperately want to learn to control my car better (autox practice) but i have already had one bad experience with police and an empty parking lot at night and I really cant afford to have another. I only got a warning but it scared the shite out of me anyway.

How do YOU do it? Tips on finding good lots? times of day? avoid police attention? Please, anything...

its a secret... just go where everyone else does...(this is in code...)

Comment

a good way to do a lil practice driting when it rains or the streets are real wet check out your parking lot then but only do so late at night say 12 or 1. i know it kight sound a lil pansieish but hey its great practice with throttle and countersteer and its fun too but an important thing to remeber is not to stay too long
      and always have a back up parking lot thats realy all i can give you

Comment

i practice in intersections with cars around me... i dont go all out or push mself but i do lil power slides behind cars and it scares the *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* outa them lol....umm i came to this lot at a recreational field at night at this soccer dad and the kids were packn up in their car and i did a fat slide and the kid was like whoah!!! and the dad didnt see it soo i just left and the kid was like HOLY MOLY! ....fear me im the unsafely bastard

Comment

man, you gotta find parking lots away from the public view, like an industrial parking lot, a warehouse parking lot or something. other good places are new housing development streets, but you want to be very carefull. no one is around, but if you hit a curb and damage your car, how are you going to give directions to the tow truck at 1am. but don't expect to be able to spend a lot of time at any one place. 10 min. or less is reasonable, 15-20 is pushing it, and you may get caught. when you find a good spot, don't overstay your welcome. not having much time to practice is going to make you competitive, and make you want to get it right the first time. make sure you know your technique before you go, so you're not wasting your time. read up on techniques and try to get a sense of how it should go. take a couple of cones with you and space them out a few spaces apart, and first work on donuts, then try to do figure 8's drifting around them. it doesn't sound like much, but it does help a lot!

Comment

pick a lot that is big, and not close to major roads. there is this one lot i used toslide like 4 times a week, but i got caught there because i was doing it during the day and for like 30 mins too (bad idea doing it in the day). also, go have your fun at like 12-1 like has already been stated. also, like S13STEVE said, dont be afraid to bust a move on the streets. its a bit more difficult, but lots more fun. if you ever do something around ppl, then dont be to crazy, and make sure you can control your car before doing that. thats about all i got.

Comment

is 15 minuits a good practice time?

Comment

i have found that 15-20 minutes is ideal

Comment

i usually go for about 10 minutes in the side lot of kmart where nobody parks.. i usually go during the night but ive pulled some in the morning and during the day... the lot i use doesnt show marks very well so thats always a good thing unless ur trynig to show somebody the damage uve done. so usually the sidelots and behind a store are good during the day.

Comment

the best investments I ever made were my police scanner and radar detector, I usually head up to an industrial park up the street, or even in the street late at night, I search around for twisty road to practice my technique on late at night, I think it pisses off the people who live on those street, but who really cares, normally I jusy industrail park it up and listen for noise complaints over the scanner, I eventually was caught by the owner of one place as he was leaving, he looked scared and confused about why someone would drive like that, but after everything was explained he said things would be cool as long as no cars were in his lot

Comment

thanks for all the replies guys. I guess i just need to get my guts back and find an isolated lot. and good tips about not staying too long. i had no idea how long i had been at that lot till the cops came.

and i dont think i can afford a police scanner or radar detector, although i desperately want them.

Comment

hehe bukkake drifter...thats silly..

Comment

just a question, what do you slide?

Comment

My situation is alittle different, im out in the rual areas outside of a very spread out city.

Anyways with out getting too specific, there is a rual road we practice on its a 90 degree turn, but its about a 15 foot arc to it.

mostly just flat dirt on all sides of it. so if you mess up real bad its no big deal, worse case senario you need to push the car out of the soft dirt. Thats where i learned to control the car.

The other kinds of places mentioned i have tried here and there, but usualy just for a few minutes. on our 'drift corner' we can usualy stay close to an hour. Theres some agriculture type industy a few miles away, but its mostly barren. and far enough away from major highways. though the first time you see a set of headlights heading down 'your' road you get alittle paranoid.

anyways hope that helped.

Comment

yeah.....thats cool. youre lucky....

me and my friends have found a nice road that has three downhill hair pins on it.....its really cool just for a time trial run of sorts. but we cant start using it till spring really, cause there is a little snow on it, so we will have to wait.

thats just something im excited about hitting up.....

Comment

Working...
                              X