Shift lock questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift lock questions

Ok im still having a little bit of a problem doin heel\toe but i think i just need some more practice with that but some of you guys are talking about shift lock. I mean i own the drift bible but i dont understand what happend or how to do it. all i got is you gun it in 3rd fast as you can then brake little then down shift to 2nd and drop the clutch to start the slide is that right????????

hey i jus got the drift bible and what I make of it...my opinion whether you take my advice or not...is that if you have ever driven stick...which im sure that you have...i hope...is when you down shift and you drop the clutch and dont give it any gas then the car jerks. this is caused by the transmission speed being transferred to the engine which is at a low rpm...causing the car to jerk while making the engine turn faster (i know that i may be sounding repetitive.) this sudden change of speed to the rear wheels causes them to break loose...thus drifting ensues...if yur good enough! jk jk hope that helps...and if anyone has corrections plz feel free to comment...

Comment

this isnt a correction, just a question.....

once you get the car to break loose from shift lock, do you then floor it to spin the wheels and continue the drift, or is this one of those kinda like heel toe that only works well on really sharp, fast corners?

Comment

Having used the shift-lock quite a few times, I think I can answer the questions about the physical motions. Basically a quick downshift from 3rd to 2nd, giving no gas during the shift. The important thing is to already be turning the wheels toward the corner when you do it. This way the car will start to slide, and you can start countersteering and adding throttle.

EDIT: P.S: Don't take your time when you shift, make sure to do it quicklt. Especially coming off the clutch, the harder you jerk off the clutch, the harder the rears break.

Remember not to use this technique too much, it's bad on the tranny.
        Last edited by ACDSupra7; 02-10-2004, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ACDSupra7
          Having used the shift-lock quite a few times, I think I can answer the questions about the physical motions. Basically a quick downshift from 3rd to 2nd, giving no gas during the shift. The important thing is to already be turning the wheels toward the corner when you do it. This way the car will start to slide, and you can start countersteering and adding throttle.

EDIT: P.S: Don't take your time when you shift, make sure to do it quicklt. Especially coming off the clutch, the harder you jerk off the clutch, the harder the rears break.

Remember not to use this technique too much, it's bad on the tranny.
          If you got the money to re-build it for 800 bucks everytime you break it why not!?!?!? I rebuild mine for 200 bucks. i save alot more doing it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by emission
            If you got the money to re-build it for 800 bucks everytime you break it why not!?!?!? I rebuild mine for 200 bucks. i save alot more doing it myself.
            Fine, you win. You own me in mechanics =P

Getting under the bellhousing is further than I dare to venture at the moment.

Comment

It's not that hard to rebuild a tryanny just need experience. and lots of memorizeing.

Comment

Use a sharpie and label the parts with numbers. Or use ziplock bags and put the parts in them and label them.

Comment

Alright. Tell you guys what. I'll go to pick your part and dissasemble one sometime soon.

Comment

yea you all got the gist...but like the other guy sed...do it when there is the most weight transfer...and dont floor it...jus throttle play...this is a very effective way to get the tires to break loose...i mean VERY EFFECTIVE so if you floor it youll be into the wall unless yur a d1 driver and know what the hell to do. lol

Comment

Re: Shift lock questions

Originally posted by vandelx
                      Ok im still having a little bit of a problem doin heel\toe but i think i just need some more practice with that but some of you guys are talking about shift lock. I mean i own the drift bible but i dont understand what happend or how to do it. all i got is you gun it in 3rd fast as you can then brake little then down shift to 2nd and drop the clutch to start the slide is that right????????
                      The Shift-Lock technique is usually for high powered cars (usually turbo charged car). Because, after down shifting you let the High Rev and High Torque do all of the work on letting that tires loose traction.

Check this link:
                      http://www.driftsession.com/drift_te.../shiftlock.htm

Comment

Shift lock has nothing to do with power, its just to break the rear end of traction. Once there is no traction in the rear, you dont need much power at all.

Comment

that part about shift lock being only for high-power cars is an opinion of his and a bad one at that...I had a 95 toyota tacoma and because of the position of the e-brake i couldnt really use it to initiate the drift so shift lock was the only way i knew how to do it/was able to do it. and that is by no means a high powered car. it has a lot of torque but nuthn much. so that is my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by raging panda
                            Shift lock has nothing to do with power, its just to break the rear end of traction. Once there is no traction in the rear, you dont need much power at all.
                            How can you break traction with a low HP.. Lets say 150hp with 110lbs, using Shift Lock @ around 20-30mph? REV it high enough and drop it to 2nd gear, your synchros will drop that RPM down.

Also, im not saying like 500+ hp. Im just saying 200+ with equal amount of torque.

Also, I am saying this in experience (so it's my opinion). I can't get that damn traction loose, on an underpowered car.

Comment

Originally posted by d-unit racing
                              that part about shift lock being only for high-power cars is an opinion of his and a bad one at that...I had a 95 toyota tacoma and because of the position of the e-brake i couldnt really use it to initiate the drift so shift lock was the only way i knew how to do it/was able to do it. and that is by no means a high powered car. it has a lot of torque but nuthn much. so that is my 2 cents.
                              you have a TRUCK so your torque is higher than your HP. So that's a solution to your problem. But most of the cars are high HP with atleast 30% lesser torque vs a truck.

Comment

Working...
                              X