300zx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 300zx

Sup people of this forum. New here in this forum, Im not a newbie to the drifting world, cause I'd been studing all bout drifting and cars for so long, that I feel its time to open up and trade info for the rest of yal. Enough of that, as you read in the topic, it says 300zx. For some of you people, its just another car. But I just discover this car as not being talk about in these forums. ITs really a powerful car that can make a 240sx with a sr20 powerplant look like a jackass. If you take the weight of these 2 cars, like Im comparing from a 93 240 and a 91 300zx. Its roughly a hundred pound difference. A 4cycl. sr20det against a 6cycl turbo engine its a big difference in hp. I know a 300zx is expensive but is it worth it. Is there any good parts for this car? Are there good/bad things that I dont know about this car. Well at least someone tell me there is a LSD for this car. Any what is the japanese name of this car?

The 300zx in Japan is known as the Fairlady Z. Don't know too much on the new ones but the old ones are a little heavy and weighted down by gadgets and goodies.

Comment

Twin turbos have HICAS, so you would need to get a HICAS eliminator.

Comment

what

sorry to be such a n00b, but what is HICAS? I heard of it b4 but never took time to know what it is.

Comment

yeap

hiacas is like traction control in the rear wheels for nissans
          though i might be wrong ive heard it enough times in these forums to tell u its bad for drifting

Comment

but couldnt a lsd solve the problem, or do i have to take out the HICAS, will that mess up my car if i do that?

Comment

oh wow a 300zx post! i cant find a freakin a 240 anymore these freakin days...so my last resort was a 300. dunno yet, i still prefer the 240 but yeah..not too many parts for it though..and i dont know much bout it. so yeah, anyone here a z32 expert?? educate me

Comment

Z32 300ZX

I'm no expert but i can tell you that there is TONS of aftermarket suport for both the Twin Turbo and the N/A.That car has an extensive racing history. Check out www.stillen.com. The guy who owns it knows a thing or two about the 300ZX.

BTW HICAS is Nissans brand name for four wheel steering. The rear wheels steer very slightly to improve cornering ability. Not very good for drifting but it can be done and HICAS can be eliminated relatively easily for a moderate price.

Comment

how much is a meoderate price?

Comment

HICAS is nissan version of 4WS like in the Honda Prelude. HICAS stands for "Highly Intelligent Computer Assist Steering" if I'm not mistaken.

My R32 GTS-T have this but I don't have problem power over drifting in it. It's hard to do shift lock because once u drop the gears and turn, the HICAS starts to react to get traction back to the rears.

TOMEI sells kit to lock the HICAS. It comes with mechanical locks and a little piggy back thing that should be connected to the HICAS ECU, usually located in the trunk of your vehicle. I've ordered this kit and waiting for it to arrive.

The Z32 is a good car for touring or high speed. for drifting, I've never experience or seen anyone really drift it except some pro drivers whose doing tire testing. If u must, look for the single turbo version as opposed to the twin turbo. The single turbo is actually a more balance car than the twin turbo version. Problem is, I don't think the VG30DET is available in US. I think most of the 300ZX in US comes with the VG30DETT, targa top... rite?

Major concerns on 300zx is the electronics. It's not as nightmarish as Mitsu 3000GT a.k.a GTO, but quite close. I thought about getting the Z32 300ZX before but lucky for me, I found a R32 GTS-T which was priced lower than the Z32. GAME ON!! hehehe

-R32GTST-

Comment

Originally posted by R32GTST

Problem is, I don't think the VG30DET is available in US. I think most of the 300ZX in US comes with the VG30DETT, targa top... rite?

-R32GTST-
                      what? theres a single turbo Z32?

Comment

Negatory on the single turbo in the states. They all came TT. Actually the Super car explosion in the early 90's were all TT. The big 4, RX7, Supra, 300 and 3000GT were all TT.

I know the 300 is a bear to work on. I worked for Nissan and had one come in, N/A car and it cost her 1000 bucks to change a little rubber hose under the intake plenum. It's all packed in there and nasty. Same with the RX7 and the 3000. Luckily the Supra had a little room.

Comment

gundamzeta

yep! I almost bought the Z32 300ZX with VG30DET before this R32 GTS-T came into the picture.

BTW, the HICAS Lock kit from TOMEI cost RM400, which is about USD105.

hey duluth, nice looking FD u got there. I almost bought that one too!! hahaha.. but my heart is with Nissan, having owned S14 and 240SX before. ultimately, I wanted the GT-R, not just any GT-R.... MINE'S R34 GTR N1. ehehehehe

-R32GTST-
                          Last edited by R32GTST; 02-11-2004, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Z32

Some other things i know.

1 The earlier Z32s had a hydraulic HICAS system using pressure from the power steering pump. The later Z32s had an electronic system.

2 There was a VG30DET available in the US but it was in the Z31 300ZX and shares little with the VG30DETT besides the botom end.

What I dont know

1 how much a HICAS eliminator for a Z32 costs

2 well theres lots more but ill get there

hope this helps

Comment

http://www.twinturbo.net/

The Z32 300ZX can have the n/a VG30DE engine.. or the VG30DETT engine...

However.. converting a V6 engine with twin turbo's into a single turbo isn't as easy as you think....

Sure it's easy with Supra's since they are a Straight 6 and not a V6.

The Z32's are great cars... not the best for drifting... but excellent for tracks.. canyon carvers.... autocross.. touring.

Why not for drifting? Weight balance... that's about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X