Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intial D is a cartoon and the drift bible may give you guys some tips, but the only way you will learn to be great drifters is if you actually get time behind the wheel. Remember when you first got your permit and you needed so many hours of "behind the wheel" drive time?? Well, that rule holds true to drifting too.

Comment

i double clutch in my pink s2000 i also have a gallow 24 in my gt-r 34 it runs on sauce and pepperoni.

Comment

Originally posted by mranlet
        "drift bible or Initial D" - because they're equivalent...

My CRX has kinda a half a synchro on between 1st and 2nd that I believe is shared with reverse, so the first shift is difficult w/o double clutching, but if you're good at rev matching it's not that hard to up or downshift.

-MR
        reverse doesnt have a synchro. Go 20mph and try putting it into reverse.

Comment

Originally posted by soultron
          ....hmmm...still confused, maybe i'd have to see it.
          I heel/toe (sorta) at times and I understand that you have to match the revs, but the double part is beyond me.
          thanks jiggas.
          You wanna see how the heel toe thing works? Go rent initial-d at you local video store. In the intro of every episode that one guy with the old car does the heel toe action.

Comment

Double Clutching is when you do two shifts to acomplish one. If cars dont have synchros you will have to either double clutch or do a bigger heel-toe. you clutch in shift to nuetral and press the gas to increse the revs then you press the clucth again and shift into the gear you want. the diffrence between heel toe and double cluching is that when you heel toe you rev the engine throught neutral but never stop and clutch out at neutral.

Comment

I gotta double clutch when i go into 3rd because my synch. went to crap. As for heel/toe (i honestly think it outta be toe-heel but thats a different arguement) i do it alot of times when i'm jus driving and taken a turn....most cars u have to drop it into 2nd to take a turn so when your in a higher gear, lets say 5th...(my sub-divisions entrance is right off a access road so the speed are fairly high 4th if not 5th gear usually) i have to heel/toe 3 times to drop it into 2nd....and it helps with speed and accuracy of rev match....cars with faster revving potential need nomore than a tap of the gas, but older cars such as a bone stock hachiroku or, in my case, a civic, it takes a little more to get those rev's up and to get'em to match. it just takes practice...whats cool is that heel/toe usually doesn't endanger everyone while practicing it on public roads....unlike drifting....PLus it has its good sides, like saving your driveline or, in my case again, the tranny is a transaxel....so heel/toe helps even in daily driving.......lets take for example your on the highway merging in and you in the right lane...in 5th gear but low in 5th gear...lets say....4k rev's...you can heel/toe into 4th and take off to switch into a faster lane while not jolting foward and hurting the drive line....this is why shift lock is usually not used on dry pavement because the damage it does to the drive line....

woo...i'm pooped....correct anything in there thats wrong...thank you, have a nice day...
              Last edited by Nemesis; 02-24-2004, 03:52 PM.

Comment

OK, I think I got it.
                I'm doing double in between a few gears, even though I didn't
                call it that. Funnie how that works.

....hey nemesis....
                (i honestly think it outta be toe-heel but thats a different arguement)
                I acyually do "heel-toe" in my car due to space constraints.

Comment

yea but the way its "suppose"to be done is toe-heel...see, this is a argument that noone will win...

Comment

yo, do I have to explain heel and toe and double clutch again? they are not the same thing.

I will if you want.

BTW Google is your friend
                    Attached Files

Comment

almost every forum on the web these days that has to do with automotive topics has the question with double clutching. In my opinion double cluthing is not very practical when shifting at very high speeds and not many professional drivers don't use it either on the drag or circuits anymore since these days, the cars have all these new techonlogical wonders that handles all that snazz for you. besides, i've never seen it done on the streets with real racers and I'm talking about kids with supras with 600+ HP and civics that run 11 seconds on street tires. COme on drop the issue with D-clutching unless your car is about to barf up a clutch or your synchros are so outdated that you should just buy another car anyway.
                      But on a positvive note, Heel-toe technique is what catches my eye. If you ever watch Keiichi Tsuchiya do it, it's like walking for him. I tried the technique at a local track with a MR2 turbo and boy did it sound *Censored**Censored**Censored* as I attempted on a moderate turn going in at 50 mph. The car sounded liek it was constipated and bogging at the same time and the HKS dual custom exhaust didn't help the sound either yet it amplified the newbieness of my skills on a real track. Well better keep practicing.

Comment

ok just read yellowboy's post and mine and you'll get it. let's say your redline is at 9,000 rpms and when you upshift the revs drop down to 7,000 rpms. now you're at the track in 4th gear at 9,000 rpms and you are approaching a corner. a second gear corner. this is what you do normally with good synchros:

1. foot on the brake, wait for revs to drop to 7,000 rpms
                        2. clutch in
                        3. blip throttle, rev up to 9,000 rpms
                        4. downshift to 3rd
                        5. clutch out
                        6. wait for revs to drop to 7,000 rpms
                        7. clutch in
                        8. blip throttle, rev up to 9,000 rpms
                        9. downshift to third
                        10. clutch out, and take the corner

this what you do with bad synchros, i mean REALLY bad synchros

1. foot on brake, wait for revs to drop to 7,000 rpms
                        2. clutch in
                        3. shift to neutral
                        4. clutch out
                        5. blip throttle, rev up to 9,000 rpms
                        6. clutch in
                        7. shift to 3rd
                        8. clutch out
                        9. wait for revs to drop to 7,000 rpms
                        10. clutch in
                        11. shift to neutral
                        12. clutch out
                        13. blip throttle, rev up to 9,000 rpms
                        14. clutch in
                        15. shift to 2nd
                        16. clutch out

see the difference?

now lets look at double clutch upshifting
                        you have turned the corner and you exit at 6,000 rpms in 2nd gear... this is what you do normally with good synchros

1. foot on accelerator until revs up to 9,000 rpms
                        2. foot off accelerator
                        4. clutch in
                        5. shift to 3rd
                        6. clutch out
                        7. foot on accelerator

this is what you do with BAD synchros to double clutch

1. foot on accelerator until revs up to 9,000 rpms
                        2. foot off accelerator
                        3. clutch in
                        4. shift to neutral
                        5. clutch out
                        6. wait for revs to drop to 7,000 rpms*
                        7. clutch in
                        8. shift to 3rd
                        9. clutch out
                        10. foot on accelerator

*not only is this technique slower and much more complicated, but during the time of your shift wand waiting for revs to drop, you lose speed, sometimes even four or fives times as much speed as tou lose in normal upshifting. so now you should see that this technique is slow and bad and good synchros are key to winning races and easy driving all the time.

Comment

I always double-clutch on downshifts when I am racing, because it makes gearboxes last longer. There have been times when I have needed to double clutch on upshifts to be able to finish, but it's rare. Here is the REAL DEFINITION:

Double Clutching - when upshifting or downshifting, the clutch is engaged while in neutral, before the clutch is disengaged to select the required gear.

more definitions:

Engaged clutch - your foot is off the pedal

Disengaged clutch - your foot is ON the pedal

Heel and Toe - while braking, the right foot is half on the brake, and the other half hovers over the throttle pedal. When downshifting, the right side of the foot blips the throttle quickly to match the revs. You can either clutch once, or twice, but either way, it is still a heel-and-toe downshift. When double-clutching during a downshift, the blip/rev-match MUST be when the gearbox is in neutral.

Comment

inspired.....

Yeah, I 've got some rare free time at work today and you've got me sitting around practicing my heel-&-toe a my desk.....

....shamelessly addicted to driving... hope I get better at it.....

Comment

Double Clutching is when you press the clutch at mid RPM's and let go so it gives you a boost in RPM's, then shift gear.

Comment

Double Clutching is when you press the clutch at mid RPM's and let go so it gives you a boost in RPM's, then shift gear.
                                huh?

actually, it's a trick set-up where you actually have two clutch pedals.... much faster shifting...

Comment

Working...
                                X