What should I buy first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I buy first?

So, ill be buying a 91' 240sx fastback, (hopefully) in the next year. It will probly be a cheap beeter. But i am wondering if i should buy a sr20det redtop or a JIC FLAT2 supen. ? they are about the same price.

Buy "Going faster" written by Bob Bondurant. Cheaper than a SR20DET, or JIC coilovers. Worth more as well.

Comment

yes, also attend his school if you can afford it.

Comment

First, buy a helmet, 4-point harness, and maybe a rollcage - safety can'e be emphasized enough.

Next, buy a battery, bushings, starter motor, alternator, brake pads, clutch, air filter, fuel filter and pump, oil change, shop manual, wiring diagram, and a good set of craftsman wrenches. Make sure that the car is running in top condition before you start sinking money into it. One of the worst things that can happen is to have important parts like alternator of fuel pump go out on you right after an engine swap or after you've spent 2 grand on suspension.

I'm a proponent of getting a LSD early on, so that you're not grinding just one wheel. Suspension (especially if worn) should soon follow. You'd be surprised at the increased speed you'll carry without upgrading power by much.

I doubt that anyone (except maybe Chas or Raging Panda, just for argument's sake) will argue with me when I say that drifting isn't about power, it's about control.

If you don't know yet, you'll soon learn that there are 3 parts to achieving high performance:
        1-The right parts
        2-Tuning the parts
        3-Tuning the driver

Books are also an excellent way to learn tips and tricks to improve your driving. "Going Faster" is an excellent source, as well as "Secrets of Solo Racing". "How to Make Your Car Handle (techniques for the 90's)" will teach you a lot about dynamics and suspensions and also how set your car up properly.

Good luck on the 240, and make sure to check for rust!

-MR

Comment

Why would you think i disagree with you?(I acutally agree with everything youve said.) Power is not important. I agree that safety is very important, and money should be spent making sure your safe.

Comment

You actually said what I would have. Follow this advice very closely, print it out and tape it up all over your house, do not stray from the path laid out before you.
            Last edited by raging panda; 02-20-2004, 10:32 AM.

Comment

I would also look all over this site, every other site and quite possibly the entire internet. It's all good to ask questions, but if you don't have a car and won't have it for a year, it's kinda pointless. Things will change, product will come out and you may not even want to do it by then. My advice is to read, read, READ. Not post. Not trying to be hard on you, just trying to give you some advice. Read and soak up every piece of knowledge you can get your grubby little hands on. Save every penny that you get and when you get your car, then come on the forums, ask your questions and go out and buy it right then. If you have saved your money you will be able to buy what you want without having to wait, get fresh information and go sliding post haste.

Also what they said above. Not sure how old you are but if you are not of legal age to drive, get your parents to take you to a track day or school. Watch what everyone else does and learn it. Also act mature. If you go to the track and start spouting off about suspension set-ups and LSD's and how you saw this on some website, you'll be shunned. No matter what you know, no-one wants to hear how they should set their car up from a 15 year old. Go there, stand as near as you can to a driver and listen to what he is saying. Then go to another driver and repeat above process.

Another good idea. Go hang out at a shop. Sweep the floor, stock the fridge, wash cars, whatever. You will pick up stuff from them and in time, should you prove yourself, they will let you work on stuff. Preferably a race shop not a rice shop. Something that works on honest to god race cars. Learn your love, perfect your craft and then put it to the pavement when you get able. You will have a much better respect for your car and you abilities if you learn in a safe environment.
              Last edited by Ghost of Duluth; 02-20-2004, 01:01 PM.

Comment

yeah i agree with ghost!!! just research (sites that offer original parts for cheap prices, read drifting mag, etc) and earn/save a lot of money (especially for ur tires and suspension) by working on shops. u get money, knowledge and hook-ups. u can dream and plan all u want but if u dont have enough $$$ then its pointless. and watch the drift bible over and over again. and maybe initial d too.
                good luck with ur car!!!

Comment

Drift it stock and upgrade as necessary. How can you pick mods for something you've never driven?

Comment

Originally posted by Chas
                    Why would you think i disagree with you?(I acutally agree with everything youve said.) Power is not important. I agree that safety is very important, and money should be spent making sure your safe.
                    I wasn't sure if I was Chas-approved

It also seems that panda and I often take alternative standpoints even though I there there is mutual respect...

but anyway

SAFETY FIRST - you can't drift if you're dead...

-MR

Comment

And you know, some people may like a product, when a driver of the skill level may hate it. Alot of things, especially tires & suspension are personal prefrence. So you gotta just try out stuff, and see what adjustments need to be made.

Comment

I've been drifting my 240sx for a year. And i think im just starting to get "decent" but i still have much much to learn. But even so i have by no means exceeded the ability of my car. A stock 240 is a great car. Replace anything thats worn out and then get better. Then do little things better tires. better brake pads. Stuff like that. You have along way to go before you need 200 hp or after market suspension.

Aside from maybe a LSD theres not much you need if your just learning. As you get better you will know what you need.

Good luck and be safe.

Comment

Working...
                        X